Author Topic: Tinker = Romany??  (Read 59588 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tinker = Romany??
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 22:49 BST (UK) »
It was therefore enacted that after 31st January 1555, any one importing Gypsies should forfeit forty pounds; that any Gypsy so imported who remained in England one month should be deemed a felon, and forfeit his life, lands, and goods, being also deprived of the privileges of a mixed jury, of sanctuary, and of "benefit of clergy," that is to say, ability to read was to be no bar to the proceedings.

It looks like the men who were hung [reply #61]  called themselves "Egipcians" and stayed in the country longer than a month, therebye making themselves felons and subject to be hung.

I think that case (reply #61) was unusual and that the men were probably outlaws who had been causing some kind of serious trouble, one of them had previously been pardoned and the sentence, to be hanged, was not carried out. There are records of 'Egypcians' or 'jipsys' being given charity/alms/poor relief or just simply being moved on.
I suppose a lot would depend on how rigorous the local law enforcement was and some areas might be more tolerant than others. Having your fortune told was popular, Pepys mentions it in passing. If the 'Jipsys' provided a service, like metal working, news reporting from other areas, music or agricultural labour and did not become a financial burden on the parish, then the magistrates might be inclined to turn a blind eye.
Law enforcement changed to suit the times. If there was full employment - times were good and laws might not be enforced as strictly but if there was large scale unemployment, vagrancy and begging, (by anyone) then the authorities would be more likely to come down hard on it and actually enforce the law.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Sandra dash

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 19 May 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
My mother's side of the family had Romany in her.
Some how she could never settle in a house for long she ended up purchasing caravans some to rent out others we would spend the summer in then winter in the house.

She always told stories of her g. grandparents traveling to us we never took her serious till my DNA test results on ancestry arrived back.
48% Ireland
37% Europe West
15% other

Now I do believe her stories since following the family tree path.
Unfortunately she passed away years ago I now wish I had the opportunity to ask her more about the stories.
She definitely kept the tradition on with her love of antiques, cleaning every day, how strick she was with us girls inregards to our clothing boyfriends No, unless your getting married.

Her pride in home and her caravans specially her own one.
The temper she ruled with a iron fist yet she was only 5ft tall.

From doing the family tree I can now see that yes most of the family at points married cousins.
i also see a few times a aunt raising another family members child or children.

Looking back she did have the Romanian looks.
O'Neil
Steel
Black
Morrison
Allan
Cameron
Baird
Williamson
Park
Davidson
Cranston
Costly
Bryce
McLevin

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Sunday 21 May 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
My mother's side of the family had Romany in her.
Some how she could never settle in a house for long she ended up purchasing caravans some to rent out others we would spend the summer in then winter in the house.

She always told stories of her g. grandparents traveling to us we never took her serious till my DNA test results on ancestry arrived back.
48% Ireland
37% Europe West
15% other

Now I do believe her stories since following the family tree path.
Unfortunately she passed away years ago I now wish I had the opportunity to ask her more about the stories.
She definitely kept the tradition on with her love of antiques, cleaning every day, how strick she was with us girls inregards to our clothing boyfriends No, unless your getting married.

Her pride in home and her caravans specially her own one.
The temper she ruled with a iron fist yet she was only 5ft tall.

From doing the family tree I can now see that yes most of the family at points married cousins.
i also see a few times a aunt raising another family members child or children.

Looking back she did have the Romanian looks.

Hi Sandra
What a lovely photo. Do you think your mums ancestors might have been Irish Travellers?

I ask because it seems more likely that they may have been Irish rather than 'Romany'. It can be confusing because of the different terms, but 'Romany' does not have the same meaning as 'Romanian' (people from the country Romania) or Irish Traveller (a people who are from Ireland) .

Romany/Romani is a word that was/is often used to describe English or Welsh gypsies. They are related to other European gypsies. Different regions use different names, Roma or Kale, or Lovari for example, but they all come from the same people who migrated into Europe almost a thousand years ago. They had originally migrated from India.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people

Irish Travellers are originally from Ireland and not usually related to the above people, though like gypsies they often led a similar itinerant lifestyle. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Travellers

If you start a new topic, on this board, and give details of your ancestors names and places of birth, there are plenty of rootschat members who would help you to trace them further back and also find them in records you might not have seen yet.