Author Topic: Tinker = Romany??  (Read 59646 times)

Offline Tynedale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tinker = Romany??
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 26 March 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kassejayne & Steve G.,
re Black Irish.           this link:  https://owlcation.com/stem/Irish-Blood-Genetic-Identity

offers some insight re black haired/dark or swarthy skinned people of Irish descent. There is a portion:
entitled: Who Are the "Black Irish"?

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 26 March 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Tynedale; Being brutally honest? I was a little Disappoint there  :-\ The bulk of it was just what was said on the link I'd already posted.

Then, the writer appeared to go off on a somewhat personal fetish of a thing about Basque people? The first stuff had somewhat cooled my own passion for the whole, I'm afraid. Thus, I only really skimmed over the stuff below.

Dunno. I was only really offering an anecdotal response to Kassejayne. Primarily because they'd touched on something / one very real, to me.

Interestingly; I was about to add something there, to the effect that I wouldn't dare approach Tony, about his weird appearance. Let alone trying to get samples of his blood, or what ever. I don't know him That well. And he's a bloody Giant of a man!!!  :o

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 27 March 17 03:48 BST (UK) »
"Tinker" is an old English word.
It appears in Shakespeare and in old English songs and ballads. There are also roads named "Tinkers Road" and Lanes across the country along with many named "Gypsy Lane". It was someone who mends pots and pans and the word probably comes from the noise this made, "tink tink". Often a tinker was itinerant and so it would probably have been a Romany occupation too, like a scissor grinder or chair mender. Though not all tinkers would have been Romany.
The word was used in Ireland too but it stayed around longer because Ireland didn't industrialise in the same way England did and so the occupation was still prominent in rural areas and the word stuck around longer. Irish Travellers are ethnically Irish and not Romany.

The term 'Black Irish' and a supposed 'Basque' connection, are American urban myths.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 27 March 17 04:09 BST (UK) »
...I have an unusual English surname in my tree. One of the earliest records I found is a burial recorded in a Staffordshire parish register on the 19th June 1626. It states the name and then an occupation/or a notation "the Tynker".

Offline kassejayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 27 March 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
I would love to have one of those ancestry D N A tests, has anyone had one done.
Riley Smith Dillon Roberts Smart Ryder Lancaster Wilson Deane Garton  Lay Mather Mercer Jump Blyth

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
kassejayne; That'd really be a subject for a whole, other bunch of threads. Here would be a good place to start, perhaps?

I'd probably throw the money at it myself, just for the craic. Only, I'd need the swabs from my sister. She's in another country. We're never going to meet again. And, being absolutely truthful? If I didn't see it done and send them off myself? I'd just always have that sneaking doubt, in the back of my mind.

This is no disrespect to my sister. It's like I'll never give another person a letter, to post for me. If it never arrives .....

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 27 March 17 20:48 BST (UK) »
It states the name and then an occupation/or a notation "the Tynker".

That is a belter, Sally! I'd love to know what went on, behind that one  :)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 27 March 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
It states the name and then an occupation/or a notation "the Tynker".

That is a belter, Sally! I'd love to know what went on, behind that one  :)

From
Milwich
Staffordshire, Codsall register
William Bruerton the Tynker burial 19th June 1626

Many of the Bruerton/Brueton/Brewertons seem to have been metal workers and some had the passed on forename Theophilus. Which led me to this 
https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Atheophilus~%20%2Bsurname%3Abruerton~%20%2Bbirth_place%3Alondon~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1500-1650~
Theophilus Bruerton
Christening Date   06 Oct 1574
Christening Place   ST LAWRENCE JEWRY AND ST MARY MAGDALENE MILK STRLON,LONDON,LONDON,ENGLAND

Also this. Note "vagabonds commonly called Egipcians" [Gypsies]
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/middx-county-records/vol1/pp219-225
Middlesex Sessions Rolls: 1594
23 April, 36 Elizabeth.—True Bill, that John Browne, Robert Ambrose, William Standley, Francis Brewerton and John Weekes, all late of London yomen, at Howneslowe in the parish of Heston co. Midd. were seen and found in the consort or society of vagabonds commonly called Egipcians, and that the same John &c. call themselves Egipcians, and that thus they feloniously did, continued and remained there and elsewhere in the same county for the space of a month, from 23 April 36 Eliz. to 24 May then next following.—John Browne and Robert Ambrose were at large; William Standley, Francis Brewerton and John Weekes put themselves 'Guilty,' and were sentenced to be hung. G. D. R., 21 June, 36 Eliz.

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 27 March 17 22:53 BST (UK) »
 :o :o :o Jesus Wept!!! Hung?! What, for being somewhere?!  :o

Sorry. I'm not too clever with this ancient history stuff. I know it has been punishable by death, just to be a Gypsy, back in the day. But, if that's what's happened here; What about the people they were found 'consorting' with?

Good lord, Yes! Just had a look in The Book Of Bob Sure enough; I reckon this would be the very reference he was working from!
So ..... What? Half of them got strung up, for admitting they'd stayed around a bit? Or what?

Forgive me; I'm somewhat wiped out by all this. Have ye actually managed to work out what went on there?