Author Topic: looking for information on Emma Martha Green  (Read 1952 times)

Offline fire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for information on Emma Martha Green
« on: Monday 10 September 07 02:18 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help me,  I am looking for information on my Great Great Aunty.
Her name was Emma Martha Green from Modbury. 
Her father was the Rev George Clark Green.

Emma was a author (E.M. Green), I do know she wrote the book "The Dampier Boys" and "The Archbishops Test"  but i don't know anything else about her.

If anyone knows anything about her or the list of books that she wrote I'd be very grateful.
Thanks
fiona
George Clark Green (vicar of Modbury)
(My great great grandfather)
Arthur Esme Cartret Green (My Great Grandfather)
Gertrude Mary Green (nee Pexton)
(My Great Grandmother)

Josiah Webb (My G,G,G Grandfather)
Esther Whitney (My G,G,G, Grandmother)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: looking for information on Emma Martha Green
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 07 10:30 BST (UK) »
Well, from the 1891 she was born about 1858 in Everston, Northamptonshire.  She may also be the E. M. Green who wrote 'The Laird of Glentyre: a Story of Scotland', which seems to have been published about the same time.

Do you know where she was in the 1901 census? I can't see her at all.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 07 10:47 BST (UK) »
G'day jorose,

yes it is the same E.M. Green as i have a copy of that book here.
I'm not sure where she was in 1901, I'm not even sure when she passed away as she was the eldest of 11 children.
In 1901 she may have been in Modbury with her parents, but I really have no idea, that's why i thought i'd try and find out a bit about her.
Thanks for your help
Fiona
George Clark Green (vicar of Modbury)
(My great great grandfather)
Arthur Esme Cartret Green (My Great Grandfather)
Gertrude Mary Green (nee Pexton)
(My Great Grandmother)

Josiah Webb (My G,G,G Grandfather)
Esther Whitney (My G,G,G, Grandmother)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 07 12:33 BST (UK) »
Had another look - in 1881 she was born "Eversdon" and was a teacher of music and French at    Crispigney House in Suffolk, and in 1871 and 1861 with her parents at Modbury.  1861 shows that she was actually not the eldest - there's a son, George R, aged 4, with them in 1861.

And I located her in 1901! Age is listed as 48, probably meant to be 43 and transcribed wrongly - she was living in New Windsor, Berkshire, and is indeed listed as 'author'!.

Also her death was reported in the Times:

The Times, Friday, Aug 29, 1924; pg. 1; Issue 43743; col A
On the 23rd Aug, Emma Martha Green, eldest daughter of the late Revd. G. C. Green, Vicar of Modbury, aged 66.

From the death index images:
Emma M. Green, aged 66, Kingsbridge district, volume 5b page 211 (September quarter 1924 deaths).  Kingsbridge district is in Devon and includes Modbury.

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Modbury/ModburyKelly1923.html - 1923 directory for Modbury shows the "Misses Green" living on Church Street - could be Emma and sisters?
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Modbury/ModburyKelly1930.html - 1930 gives address as "17 Church Street"
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Modbury/ModburyKelly1935.html - by 1935 it is 'Miss' Green, singular.

http://www.modbury-heritage.co.uk/index.htm - Modbury seems to have an active local history/heritage group who might be able to help.  They seem to have some information related to her father, at least.

ETA: the 1930 and 1935 directories make reference to a memorial to "Miss Emma Green", daughter of the late vicar!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline selwyngoodacre

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 March 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a collection of books by E M Green - starting with her masterpiece - Child of the Caravan (1890) - a book I read as a child, and loved - classic Victorian Weepie - very moving and a total delight. I have a number of other books by her, and can supply a list of all that I know of, if you wish. Only last week I bought copies of 'The Dampier Boys' (1915) and 'Kit in Kafirland' (c.1906)