Author Topic: Beverley MIs &/or Coniston MIs Look up Request Please  (Read 4164 times)

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
Beverley MIs &/or Coniston MIs Look up Request Please
« on: Tuesday 11 September 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
Would anyone be able to do a look up for me using Beverley and/or Coniston MIs? 

I'm looking for the following individuals:

Frank Myers b. 1832  (possible death date 1910 in Beverley, aged 78)

and

Mary Ann Myers b. 1831 Roos (not sure of death year, but definitely after 1901)  She was living in Coniston in 1901 with her son and possibly died there. 

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, :)

Jill
Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Beverley MIs &/or Coniston MIs Look up Request Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 07 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Jill,

Coniston is in the Skirlaugh District & there was a death for a Mary A Myers in Jul/Sep 1914 ref Vol 9d Page 386 (FreeBMD ) & she was aged 86 so may be her.

Gill
Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 07 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hello again Gill,  Thanks for looking that up for me!  Everything seems to match up with regard to the place and her age is slightly off by a year or two. 

What is a bit weird is that her husband Frank Myers wasn't around in 1901, presumably dead, when Mary Ann was living with her son, John.  Mary Ann is noted as being a widow.  I've looked for a death between 1891 (when Frank was noted as being still alive) and 1901 and can't find a death record on the complete BMDs.   ???However, there are burial and death records for a Frank Myers as follows:

Buried April 6, 1910, Leven, died East Riding Asylum, Beverley (from Record Office) 
BMD record:  Death:  Frank Myers, 78, June Qtr. 1910, Beverley, 9d 57

These records could well be the Frank I'm looking for due to the age and location, but if he died in 1910, I wonder why Mary Ann is living in Coniston in 1901 saying she is a widow, when her husband was still alive.  I wonder if the East Riding Asylum has anything to do with it.  Could Mary Ann have distanced herself from Frank because of this??? :-[

I guess the only way to know for sure is to see the actual death certificate for  the Frank that died 1910. 

Thanks again for all your help, Gill! ;D

Jilly

Crisp, Dobson, Kirk, Farrow, Abraham, Hilton, Thompson, Croft, Searby, Haddock, Coot(e), Bryan Plaskett, Lyon, Peart, Hors(e)wood, Fanthorpe, Haywood, (Lincolnshire & Yorkshire); Brooke, Foice, Chapman, Flint, Bright (Wimbledon, Leigh, Leatherhead, Surrey and Roxwell, Essex); Pitt, Banks, Young, Malone (Camberwell, Bermondsey, Walworth, Surrey, London & Dublin, Ireland); Mallinson, Bevans (Canada)

Offline Gillywilly

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 07 08:22 BST (UK) »
HI Jilly,

On the 1901 Census (RG13/4463 folio 81 page 5 down as F Wyers) Frank Myers was in the Asylum, aged 69, born Leven & given as an ordinary agricultural labourer.  He also had himself down as married so maybe his wife & family were either ashamed or just thought of him as being dead, who knows. 

If he died in 1910 he must have been in the asylum for a long time, what a sad end it must have been for all of them.  It has now been pulled down and houses built on the land.

Gill
Pickering - Newland, Cottingham (E.Yorks) poss. Durham
Wiles - Atwick, E. Yorks
Cape - Bridlington, Hull
May - Lincs & E.Yorks
Lamb, Leonard & Ingram - Holderness
Holmes - Knottingley/Gainsborough
Paterson - Southwark, London

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 07 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,  I think I'm going to hire you as my personal looker upper of information!  hee!   ;)

Thank you for finding Frank for me.  It does sound very sad that he was in there for that long and died there.  I believe that the institution was for the poor and insane, so I'm not sure what the story behind it all would have been.  It certainly does sound like Mary Ann distanced herself though.  How sad! 

Thank you again, you have been a HUGE help!!

Best wishes,  Jilly ;D

Offline Yorky Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Please excuse me but I am a Newbie to this site.

May I refer to the initial post on this thread.

I aslo have a Frank Myers b. 4th Nov 1832 in Leven  to Hannah (Nee Marshall) and Francis who was one of at least seven possibly eight sons of George and Jane (Nee Wallis). George Myers is my 4 x G. Grandfather.

Although it is quite some time ago since I did any research I did find out that Frank was married to a Mary Ann but never found out what her maiden name was, and I was wondering if you could give me that information. If so I would be most grateful to you.

Jim

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim, Thanks for your message.  I'll be happy to help with any information I have. 

Mary Ann's maiden name is DOBSON.  She was born about 1831 in Roos, Yorkshire.  She was the daughter of William Dobson b. 1802 Owthorne, Yorkshire (died 15 Jan 1852 in Aldborough - a mysterious drowning where he was found washed up on the shore there).  Mary Ann's mother was Frances Walker b. Feb 4 1801 Marton in Holderness/Sproatley, Yorkshire (died 1851) 

William Dobson and Frances Walker are my Gx3 Grandparents and their son, John Dobson (Mary Ann's brother) is my Gx2 Grandfather. 

I have more information about the family, so please feel free to contact me if you need to. 

All the best,

Jill

Offline Yorky Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 May 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Thank you very much for such a quick response to my request for information on Franks wife, which I have duly recorded.

To my surprise Franks cousin George b.1844 c.15th May 1844 in Sigglesthorne married a Elizabeth A Dobson b. abt 1847. Could there be a connection to Mary Ann?

If I may be so bold, can I ask you what your connection to the Myers family is?

Again I thank you for the valuable information you have already passed on

JIm

Offline Firehorse

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'Pharaoh'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 May 10 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim, 

I have been interested in finding out further about the Dobson line as I have come to a brick wall as far as my Gtx3 Grandfather William Dobson's mother Catherine Dobson (who looks to have had William illegitimately).  It has been hard to trace Catherine and her parents beyond this point unfortunately.  I'd hoped that maybe working laterally on the tree via William Dobson's children including John Dobson my Gtx2 Grandfather and his sister Mary Ann Dobson that it might give some clues.  I was also interested to find out about the lives of my Gtx2 Grandfather's siblings too, thus my interest in the Myers line.  So far I have found the following siblings for John Dobson and Mary Ann Dobson....

George Dobson b.c. 1824 Marton Yorkshire d. 15 Feb 1905 Roos (married Ann Garbutt of Stockon, Wilts - no children)
Eliza Dobson b.c.1825 Marton (still searching for info on Eliza)
Gulielmus (William) Dobson b.c 1826 Marton (still searching for info on William)
James Dobson b.c 1828 Marton - d. 24 Sep 1852 Roos (married Mary Ann Boys)
Mary Ann Dobson bc 1831 Roos - d. 1914 (married Frank Myers)
Elizabeth Dobson b.c. 1836 Roos - poss. d. 1846 (still need to confirm death & searching for info.)
John Dobson b.c. 1837 Roos - d 1900 Keelby, Lincs. (married Mary Hilton my Gt.x2 Grandmother)
Catherine Dobson b.c. 1840 Roos - d. 16 May 1925 Roos (never married)

I read with interest your mentioning of the marriage of George to an Elizabeth A. Dobson b.c. 1847.  I'm not sure if there is a connection to my Dobsons; however, it would be great if there is as it might supply more information that I am looking for with some of the Dobson siblings.  Where was Elizabeth A. Dobson born, do you know?  Frank's cousin George...did he have the surname of Myers.  I tried to look for them on the censuses, but wasn't very successful. 

Thanks,

Jill