Author Topic: 1891 census- Shaw in Loscoe  (Read 4942 times)

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census- Shaw in Loscoe
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 07 06:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz
I have looked at the Heanor District site and asked a couple of questions some time back but it looks to have grown quite a bit while I have been working on other branches.  I will certainly have a good look at it again.  Mary is one of the 3 sisters who I have to consider as possible mother of George, Eliza and Robert .  However I probably should determine that they are definitely related before I worry too much about them. I think I'm descended from John Shaw and Ann Draper and Robert is probably a brother of John as both born West Hallam and lived Loscoe but I have still got work to do on John and Ann's family.  I'm trying to track down family members who were in the military as I have a copy of a letter written by a son of Thomas born c 1820 at Loscoe (who I believe was son of John and Ann nee Draper) who said his three sons, killed in WW1, were 5th generation of Shaw family to fight for British Empire and I am yet to find any others.
Best Wishes, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 September 07 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carmel,

Another piece of "useless" information

Just reading a "local" newspaper - The Ripley and Heanor News Fri Dec 31st 1915 -and there is a small advert " The Story of Shaw, the Life Guardsman, is told in Brittains Almanack for 1916. Now on sale at all newsagents for one penny."

Shame it doesn't state his forename!

Brittains was a local newsagents/printers.

I am assisting a friend research local (Loscoe/Codnor /Heanor) war fatalities -if I come across any WW1 Shaw deaths I will post here

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 September 07 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Suz.  If you are looking at military records for the local Loscoe Heanor areas could you look out for any earlier ones like 1880s etc.  There was mention of Shaw relatives fighting with General Gordon at Khartoum and I think that was mid 1880s and someone serving with distinction in the navy.  However I'm also considering this may have been Draper family and they were from the Loscoe area also.  It wouldn't be the first time one of my Australian ancestors has got mixed up with which side of the family and grandparents they are talking about. I have to excuse it with living the other side of the world from grandparents and never knowing them they got stories from their mother's and passed it down as though it was from the father's side.  I have spent years looking for false parents also after they make up names for death certificates rather than admit they don't know the names of their grandparents.
I had that with the Shaw line.  Thomas' parents were Edward and Ellen according to his death cert but I found him before emigration in 1851 Nottingham census recently married with stepson using wife's name so I knew it was him and got his birthplace Loscoe from that.  There was no Edward and Ellen at Loscoe then when I got the marriage details his father was John and not Edward at all.  His wife's death cert said her mother's name was Draper and I knew that was incorrect so when I found a John Shaw married to Anne Draper with son Thomas correct age I knew I'd found my Thomas.  I now know John was from West Hallam and there seem to be a lot of Shaw's there and as far as I can understand that is not too far from Loscoe and Heanor either.
Any assistance you can come up with no matter how small will be greatly appreciated.
Best Wishes, Carmel
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 September 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
I will keep my eyes open

There are still quite a few Shaw's in West hallam area today -and in Mapperley Village (which is next to West Hallam) -and I am visiting there this afternoon!!!!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 September 07 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suz
It's almost midnight here so I am finishing up for the day.
Regards, Carmel

Offline 3DReam1keeper

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 January 15 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
Robert  Shaw was born in 1806 at West Hallam he married 1.11.1824 at Duffield Derbys  to Rebecca         Kemp they lived in Loscoe Derbyshire, where Rebecca was born and lived with her family .                   
I hope this  helps Cheers .