Author Topic: coombe street  (Read 30528 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: coombe street
« Reply #18 on: Monday 20 February 12 12:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a UK 1911 census entry for a Pte Patrick O'Brien born Dublin 1884
He was in the 12th Royal Lancers stationed at Pochefstroom in the Transvaal, South Africa under Colonel Howard Clifton Brown
His Army records may be helpful to locate his family
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline lobrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 February 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your help!

The 12th Royal Lancers reference sounds correct....that is on the address to him (postcard).  I am not sure how to get the army record for him.  I did look on ancestry.com with no luck. 
Obviously, Im new to this and fumbling about with this whole journey.

That information was on a census report?  Why do I not see so much information when looking at census entries? 

Thanks!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 February 12 15:30 GMT (UK) »
To see the full details of the 1911 English census you have to subscribe to one of the appropriate websites (e.g FindMyPast) - "lookups" of this census are not permitted on RootChat . The free search only shows partial details.

The details included on the English 1911 household returns are similar to those shown on the Irish 1911 forms - i.e. : address/location, name, age, relationship to head of household, place of birth and occupation, also for married women details of number of years married and number of living children

Many of the WW1 era Army records were destroyed in the Blitz.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane147!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline franflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi my gt grandparents lived in 28 Coombe st on the 1911 Dublin Census their names were Richard and Ellen Bowes and their 6 children.  I do know that Richard was a house painter and died in 1942.  Is there anyone on Rootchat ie that  has any information on the family as i do know my gt aunts went to live in the uk after the 1920s  never to return to Dublin . Im doing my family tree and have hit a brick wall on some members of the Bowes family
Thanks
Fran

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am not sure what info you have or what you are looking for BUT it looks like your RIchard came from a long line of decorators !!

It looks like your Richard Bowes father was Timothy Bowes and his mother Ellen Keogh and they got married in Rathmines Church in 1861

TIMOTHY BOWES                       ELEONORA KEOGH 
RATHFARNHAM                           RATHMINES 
Father RICHARD BOWES            THOMAS KEOGH 
Mother MARIA MURRAY               ANNE

This looks like the baptism of your Richard's father
TIM BOWES 
RATHFARNHAM CHURCH
Father RICHARD BOWES 
Mother MARY  MURPHY

Tim's parents Richard Bowes and Mary Murphy married in 1833 in Rathfarnham Church

This Tim(othy) had some siblings Mary Kate baptised 1843 Rathfarnham, John baptised 1840 Rathfarnham (I'm sure there are more but this was all I found)

This is this John !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Whitechurch/Ballyboden/1291416/

Anyway back to your Richard he had a brother called John Bowes who married a Mary Patrick in 1892 in Harrington Street Church.

Richard also had a sister called Mary Anne Bowes b 1871 in Cork Street

This looks like another brother of Richard

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Merchants_Quay/Blackpitts_West_Side/1344232/

Please double check all of the above !

Tara

Offline franflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tara and John for that information on Richards parents i did find a Tim Bowes who was 71 on the 1911 census he was widowed
and his occupation decorator.   Great  i now have Richars s mothers name Ellen Keogh.
Any more info on Richards children in the 1920s  would be so helpful as i have got in touch with i of his daughters daughter she said her mother never talked about her family and she did nt know anything about the Bowes .Richard sons names were Richard and Tim.  Leo  sadly died of the Spanish Flu i got that info from the Archives in Abbey St Dublin. The daughters names Teresa my grandmothe who stopped in dublin and married my grandfather Ellen, Mary and then Monica who went to live in London but no information why as i know they never came back. My  mother used to say her uncles both decorators and worked for the Dublin Corporation one  lived in Cork st and around 1942 her other uncle lived on the south circular road Dublin.  Thanks again Fran

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 20:32 GMT (UK) »
have you searched the register of electors for them
1939 for Dublin City is online
http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/advanced.php
Further generations:

Offline franflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 February 12 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MYLUCK
 I went into the 1939 electors Polls and found 2 Richard Bowes 1 was my grandfather as my late mother told me he did live in Cuffe St till he passed away in 1942.  The only thing is I cannot seem to get any info who did live with the other Richard Bowes hoping he is the son i did know he was married to someone called Clara on the 1911 census.  When i try to view Richard Bowes i keep getting told i have to have something on my computer to look at his information i dont understand this at all.
Fran