Author Topic: coombe street  (Read 30551 times)

Offline UK Bowes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: coombe street
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran. I spoke to my aunt and she thinks that your family members Ellen, Mary and Monica who moved to London were musicians. Have you heard similar ? Perhaps they worked in an orchestra or for a theatre. My cousin is investigating the Rathfarnham link. I will let you know if he finds anything. We also are trying to compile our family tree. I think you said on a previous msg that Timothy and Ellen (Johnston) had 6 children. Do you know their names ? Anita

Offline franflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 08 August 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Anita on the Bowes tree I went as far back to Timothy Bowes x Elenora Keogh who married in Rathmines parents of our Richard Bowes x Ellen Johnson where I started some of my searches. They were the parents of 7 children.Tim Bowes , Richard then Teresa my grandmother Ellen, Leo  who died in 1919 think Spanish Flu Mary x Monica. That was their family sadly Mother Ellen died 1915  age around 48 . My grandmother Teresa married Micheal Gibbons then  Ellen married a jockey from the Curragh marriage didn work out she came to London First with sisters Mary x Monica as they were young Ellen settled in Margate Kent Monica did too x Mary lived in Ealing London changed her name to Francel x married Harold Doone . Ellen x Monica had partners who were related from Margate Kent and in the resturant business . In later years Monica x Francel ended up living in Somerset till around the 1980s My own mother use to leave Dublin in the early 1930s x spend time with her aunty Ellen mam called her Ella who never had any children was so good to my grandmother Teresa as she had 6 young ones. Mam x her brothers went  over to Kent in the summer as the resturant had living accomadation . Never heard anything about Ellen Mary or Monica been on the stage but my mam told me her mam Teresa had a little dance troop Florrie Watson x her 12 empire mites the troop she  said appeared on some of the theatres in Dublin dates around WW1. Did any of your family live in Cork street Dublin as my mam passed away 14 years ago but I can remember been over in Dublin x we went to Meath st. X mam met someone she said they were cousins from Cork st. . Would you know if your gt Grandad Tim or your Grandad Richard  was in the army?   Anita my mam told me a few stories which has helped I but I'm still searching  Fran

Offline UK Bowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 09 August 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran. I spoke to my aunt Pat last night. She lives in Dublin and has a great memory for anything to do with the family. She said that her grandparents (Timothy and Clare) lived off Cork Street before they moved to Lombard Street. She confirmed that none of our family served in WW1. However, a cousin of Richard, John did die in 1915 (see previous post). According to one of his descendants, John's widow lived in Golden Lane with Timothy and Clare and her baby, John. I looked up other Bowes men who served in the Great War and found a total of 5 who were killed. Another John died of his wounds at home on 4.10.14. Christopher Bowes died 30.7.17, Michael Bowes 25.9.15 and Patrick Bowes 26.3.18. So sad and another line of research that can be done ! Thank you for the information on my gt gt Timothy's siblings. Do you know if Richard had any children ? I am just wondering if the John who died in WW1 was a son of Richard. My aunt Pat wants to know if you know anything of twins in the family. Did you ever hear of a little boy - a twin who died in a tram accident in Dublin ?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 09 August 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm what his descendant said.
John Bowes will giving his wife's address as 20 Golden Lane
http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/BowesJ_E93408.pdf

Offline UK Bowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann. Thank you for posting that document. You can only imagine how all the young men felt writing those Will's before going into action. I am in contact with John's direct descendant and will let her know that you have posted this document. Thank you again.

Offline franflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 09 August 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Ahh seeing the will of a young man John Bowes very sad indeed at times we all forget the horrow of war terrible times for his poor young wife x child. Anita going back to the Bowes family tree u did ask me did Richard have any children l know from records he married an Eveline Oldham year 1913 Richard had been living with his parents at 28 Coombe St yes  He had children i found when Richard passed away he was 61 x a widower his son Leo was present at death address 3 Fingall  st Dublin year 1952 not sure how many children wud ur Aunty know . My mother spoke about The Richard who married Ellen said he was a nice grandfather lived in the Bishop st area of Dublin he died 1942 age 80 so his 3 daughters lived in the uk my grandmother only daughter left in Dublin passed away around the same time as her father terrible what families went through. Never heard of any twins or an accidentt Fran

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 09 August 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
The births on Irish Genealogy only go to 1916 at the moment
Bridget Bowes mother Oldham 1915
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1915/01361/1561243.pdf
You have to sign in but it's free, there are also Marriages and Deaths.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

Offline franflynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 09 August 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
That site has been helpful in my search just still looking what happen to John Johnson address The 79 Coombe when my sister was over in Dublin a few years ago she went to Pearse St City Public Libraries x Archives looking over records John Johnson left his business  at that address 1869 my mother said as he was widowed again he left his daughter Ellen with his sister while Johnson went to the USA how true this was lim not sure Johnson  sister brought the little girl up  x she married Richard Bowes 1884 . Has ur Aunty ever heard any news regarding Ellen Johnson . Fran

Offline UK Bowes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 10 August 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Fran. I spoke to my Aunty and she is aware of the Johnson family but cant add anything to what you already know. She can confirm that a male relative did go to the USA. Have you looked at the passenger lists ? Sorry we cant be more helpful. My cousin is looking into the Rathfarnham link to the Bowes family. Anita