Author Topic: William PHARE  (Read 11518 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: William PHARE
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 07 07:05 BST (UK) »
Seems to fit with that family I found in the census doesn't it, daughter Mary, son Thomas  ;D

I note a double marriage entry of possible interest

Dec 1/4 1864 Stoke Damerel 6b 617

Mary PHARE
John GARLAND
Elizabeth PHARE
Thomas Henry TAYLOR

1861 census

RG9/1455 Folio 60 Page 32
59 Gloucester St
Stoke Damerel

Home of Samuel Mogg 32 Blacksmith and family

PHARE Mary Servant 45 Unm b Devon Housekeeper

There is a William Garland aged 3 with his grandparents George and Grace Skivers in Silverton - no parents visible. I don't see one in a household with a father John...............Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcfre

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 December 08 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Have you been able to make any connection between Thomas Phear of Bratton Clovelly whose family is detailed in the replies and William Phare the subject of this inquiry?

A descendent of Thomas Phear immigrated to California in the 1890s.

Offline gen4titch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm a newbie and it's been a while since original message but hopefully this may help:

William "Phear" was baptised on 6 June 1819 in Bratton Clovelly. The name Phare is unusual and often spelt wrongly but later records indicate he was actually William Phare.  His father was Richard "Phear" and his mother was Grace (records indicate she was previously Grace Bickle whom Richard married on 5 Jan 1814 in Northlew).

Parish records also show William as having 7 siblings. Two of his brothers were named Thomas: the first, baptised 25 May 1817 in Bratton Clovelly, died as an infant and was buried on 25 Nov 1817. The second was baptised on 25 Dec 1821 in Bratton Clovelly, he then emigrated to the USA.

William married Ann Bonney on 20 May 1849 in Stoke Damerel (copy of marriage cert indicates Ann's father was George Bonney).
Ann was baptised on 11 Dec 1825 in St Mary the Virgin, Botusfleming, Cornwall - listed as Ann Bunney, base child, mother called Mary)

William and Ann emigrated to the USA in the 1860's (1866?) and had 12 children, the majority were born in the UK before their emigration. Children are:
1. Mary Jane b. 23 Apr 1850 in Stoke Damerel (birth cert shows mother as Ann Bonney, informant is Ann), d. Jun 1859
2. Elizabeth Ann b. 10 Oct 1851 in Stoke Damerel (birth cert shows mother as Ann Hyne, informant Ann)
3. Ellen Eliza b. Jan-Mar 1854 in Tavistock d. Jan 1893 in Ohio, USA
4. William Henry b. 23 Jul 1856 in Stoke Damerel (birth cert shows mother as Ann Hyne, informant as William Phare)
5. John James b. Oct 1857 in Stoke Damerel, d. Sep 1950 in Ohio, USA
6. Frederick Richard b. Dec1862 in Stoke Damerel, d. May 1940 Ohio USA
7. Martha Jane b. Sep 1865 in Stoke Damerel, d. Jun 1948 Ohio USA
8. Edith Mary b. Feb 1867 in Stoke Damerel, d. May 1953 Ohio USA
9. Minnie O. b. Aug 1870 in Ohio, USA d. Nov 1950 Ohio USA
I cannot be sure of names of the remaining children, there are infants who died in Stoke Damerel (Matilda Grace 1859-1860, Thomas Samuel 1860-1861 and Albert Thomas 1864-1865) so they are possibilities.

There is still a question over Ann's last name i.e. Bonney versus Hyne. 
  • Dates/place of birth on various records indicate Ann Bonney and Ann Hyne is same person
  • there is no record of "Ann Hyne" in Botusfleming
  • Ann's father is shown as "George Bonney" on some records but "George Hyne" on others
  • cannot find marriage of Ann's mother (Mary) to anyone called George
  • cannot find records to indicate William married twice

Offline ladyynara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 April 15 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, my 2nd Great Grandmother was a Phare, Catherine born October 1849 in Studon Moor Cottage, Highampton, Devon.  I have her father as John Phare (b. 1798 Bratton Clovelly, Devon, d.1855) and mother Mary White.  Johns father as Thomas Phare (b. 1764 in Bratton Clovelly d 1852) and mother Alice Garland (1777 – 1851).  There seems to be a lot of Phares in that area and it's a little tricky to figure out who goes with who.  Not entirely sure I have it all pinned down yet.  I do have a lovely photo of Catherine though.
London: Brown, Blaney, Rose, Haine, Tregunno, Harley, Cox
Devon: Willis, Phare, Stedwill, Edwards, Bissett
Also Shelton USA & UK and Schmidt Germany

Offline Jacki D Adipietro

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 February 17 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of John Bickle Phare and Eliza Doidge. Their son, John Joseph Andrew Phare (renamed himself John Jay Phare at some point).  William, Thomas, John and Mary Phare (m. John Garland) all lived in Cleveland, Ohio.  I have further info on them.