Author Topic: Visiting Whitburn, Forrest family  (Read 15222 times)

Offline Alwef

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Visiting Whitburn, Forrest family
« on: Saturday 15 September 07 09:39 BST (UK) »
I'm travelling to Scotland next week and thinking of visiting Whitburn to see if I can find out more about my Forrest family.

Can anyone tell me if there is a cemetary there with records available? Also where would any other records for the area be located?

Thanks in anticipation.
FORREST W Lothian, Stirlingshire, Renfrewshire. MEEK W Lothian

Offline ADP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Whitburn, Forrest family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 07 10:44 BST (UK) »
There is a cemetery and churchyard at the parish church in Whitburn. That is the oldest cemetery there. There are two newer cemeteries.

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/content/services/C/10337/4085//
(and select Whitburn)

The records are probably in County Buildings, Linlithgow. Telephone: 01506 775240 .

http://www.westlothian.gov.uk/content/services/C/10337/4078//

ADP

Offline Alwef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 September 07 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help, ADP

Offline mr-aitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 September 07 23:46 BST (UK) »
Alwef,

There are two Forrests recorded on headstones in the old churchyard at Whitburn.  (Source : Monumental Inscriptions for West Lothian pre 1855 - John & Sheila Mitchell)

And, there are 68 Forrests recorded in the Burial Register for the original 1862 cemetery.  (Source : West Lothian Burial Registers CD - West Lothian Family History Society)

The telephone number for the Cemeteries Office is 01506 775300 and the lady to speak to is Donna Johnston.

If you're coming to West Lothian then you really should make time to visit the Local History Library at Library HQ, Hopefield Road, Blackburn (3 miles along the road from Whitburn) where you'll find a large number of resources for the county.  Contact the Local History Librarian, Sybil Cavanagh, at 01506 776331.  You won't be disappointed.

I notice that you have an interest also in Meeks in West Lothian.  I did some Meek research a few years ago for a friend in Australia and I wonder if your connection is through the James Meek/Margaret Forrest marriage in 1896?

Regards,

Tom

Offline Alwef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the very useful info, and I will try to get to Blackburn.

Your query regrding the Meeks shows how very many members of the extended family of Forrests, and possibly Meeks, there were at that time and location. My connection to th Meeks is that my great grandmother was Isabella Rankin Meek, married to David Forrest. She had a brother called James, but he was born in 1842 and married Ann Loudon - I don't know when. 

However, another brother, William Meek had a son called James. I don't know his dob, but he presumably was born after William married (wife Mary Waddell) in 1879.

I also have one Margaret Forrest (that I know of) in my tree. She was born in 1873 and her parents were Robert Forrest and Hannah Lawrie.

Regards,

Alan

Offline katoriman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 08 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry not been in touch before, but I am new to Rootschat. I am a great great grandson of Wiiliam Forrest, founder of the Albert Mill in Blackburn...he was born about 1800. The mill closed in 1952! I am interested in any Forrest ancestry, especially as I don't know the earliest roots of the family but believe they were lowland Scots.

By the way, I'm still not sure how rootschat works.
Best regards.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 September 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi katoriman,
Welcome to RC.

A lot of my Forrests were millers in Dunbartonshire and Stirlingshire although I've hit a brickwall around the era you are talking about.

You might be interested in taking a look at my site, mentioned below.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline katoriman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 September 08 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the message. I'll have a look where you suggest. There seems to be a very strange Forrest link between Blackburn (nr Whitburn) and Blackburn (Lancashire). The coincidence of the place names seems more than just coincidence. There are good Forrest records in Blackburn lancs, and the city council archivist is very helpful.  I am a descendant of the Forrests there (great great grandson of William Forrest who was born in or around 1800 in Blackburn lancs). However, it has always been said that the Lancashire Forrests came originally from Scotland so could be relations of the Whitborn and Blackburn families.

The family in Lancs became mill owners (cotten) and the Albert Mill which belonged to the Forrests only closed down in 1952, so there are council photographs of this. I also have a copy of William Forrest's will.  Best regards, Katoriman

Offline joycey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 October 08 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a great  grandmother called Margaret Forrest who married James Meek.  Margaret's mother is Hannah Lawrie who is buried in Whitburn graveyard.  (Hannah was married twice first husband being Robert Forrest).  My Great Grandmothers neice is still alive - Ruby Forrest.