Author Topic: Benjamin THOMPSON  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin THOMPSON
« on: Sunday 16 September 07 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am all over Rootschat.  This is a great site for help in family history.
I am wondering if there is any way to know when a person might have left Suffolk.  I have Ellen Rebecca Thompson (Nee Young).  Ellen died 3 May 1869 age 42 at her home in  Suffolk and was buried in Norton.  Ellen was married to Benjamin Thompson.  After she dies I do not find Benjamin anywhere with his children.  I did find the children in Derby living with their grandmother Maria Thompson in 1871 census.  The children living there are Charles Augustus, Frederick William and Francis James.  They were all born in Huntingdon.  Since the father Benjamin has such a common name it has been very difficult for me to figure out where he went or what happened to him.  Benjamin Thomspon had the profession of surveyor.  I wondered even if he went back to Canada since him and Ellen started their marrried life in Canada.  So I am curious to know what happened to Benjamin THompson Surveyor.
Thank you for any help
Hera

Offline Sisterjane

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Castle Hill Huddersfield...Im Here..Where are They
    • View Profile
Re: Thompson, Benjamin
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi again.....Sorry about the blank post I was just about to post some details and realized i got the wrong family DOH!!!! ??? ???

Jane
Kershaw, Longbottom,Parvin
Areas  Huddersfield, Brighouse, Rastrick ,Thirsk, Sand Hutton
Masters in London/Surrey
Cencus information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Suzibee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin THOMPSON
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 March 12 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have been doing some of my family research with regard to Frederick William Thompson whose parents are Benjamin and Ellen. If you don't already know - frederick William Thompson b abt 1857 came out to NZ 1877 (haven't found what ship yet), married my 1st cousin 3 x removed Maria Theresa (Minnie) Kenndy in 1885, passed a Dental Surgery  examination in 1884, emigrated to Canada 1912, but died in Australia 1927

Sorry that I don't have anything else on his father Benjamin.
BROWN (anglicised from BRAUN) Heligoland, Germany, arrived NZ 1840 aboard Martha Ridgway),BOUSFIELD,RICHARDSON,BARNFATHER (england & NZ)

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 March 12 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Thanks for your message. I appreciate any help I can get on this family.
Can you please send me a personal message so we can keep in contact.
Thank you so much for your help,
Hera Toutai

Offline Suzibee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 April 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hera

I haver just caught up with the last bit of your last message to me.

My email is (*) for further contact

Thanks

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
BROWN (anglicised from BRAUN) Heligoland, Germany, arrived NZ 1840 aboard Martha Ridgway),BOUSFIELD,RICHARDSON,BARNFATHER (england & NZ)

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 05:08 BST (UK) »
Suzibee
Can you please send me your email in a personal message.
Thank you
Hera

Offline Mthompson74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 15 06:20 BST (UK) »
I can tell you what happened to Benjamin Thompson he's my great great grandfather.  Benjamin left his wife Ellen and ran off to canada with a maid who worked for Benjamin's father Henry Thomas Thompson.  The maid was named Susan Clark.  Ben and Susan moved back to Newmarkt ontario  Canada where Benjamin and Ellen had previously lived.  Ben and Susan  had a son together out of wedlock named George Thompson.  However in 1872, at the age of around 47 Benjamin dies.  His son was very young.  Susan then remarries and they have another son named William I think.  I'm a descendent of George.

One of Ben's sons from his marriage to Ellen (I think his name might have been Charles) also later moved to Newmarket but apparently didn't have much to do with his fathers new family.  George's illegitimacy was kept secret for his entire life.  Sometime on the 1930s William dies and my great uncle Norval and my grandfather Wilfred take their half uncle William's body back to Newmarket to be buried.  As luck would have it they happen to meet either Charles or one of Charles' sons who new all about the sordid details of Ben and Susan and George and that's how our family found out.

Offline Pacific

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:14 BST (UK) »
Mthompson74,
Wow, That is quite the story. It is interesting how there are different sides to each story. Thank you for sharing this. I have seen documentations that Ellen's mother made sure Benjamin could not touch Ellen's inheritance from her. Ellen died quite young and her death certificate indicates one of the causes of her death was exhaustion.
Thanks again,
Hera

Offline Mthompson74

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
I bet having her husband run off across the Atlantic with the maid was pretty conducive to exhaustion! 

Was Ellen's family wealthy?  Because another part of the story told to my great uncle was that their family in England was upper class nobles of some description.  I've researched Ben's father. Henry Thomas Thompson.  He had a masters degree from Cambridge university but he got his degree on a scholarship.  He was a Church of England reverend and the under master at king Edward  the 6th grammar school in bury. St edmunds.  And he often had a number of servants living in his house at various census takings. 

However, he doesn't seem to have been of  Noble birth as I can tell.  Perhaps it was Ellen who they meant was of noble birth?  Do you have any other information on then Thompson family before Ben?