Author Topic: Martin Tracey, my wife's great grandfather  (Read 27390 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Tracey, my wife's great grandfather
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 September 11 23:23 BST (UK) »
I have now found Roman Catholic marriage of Patrick Tracey to Elizabeth Higgins on 11th Jan 1861 , Killinvoy And Killmain, Roscommon, Ireland. This will be before official records commenced so I will not be able to get copy from Irish Records Office, but on IGI when I found that record it says it was an extracted marriage record for locality listed in record.

So is there a record that I would be able to purchase, and would it have bride and groom parents on it, and where do I apply to.

Tom

Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:24 BST (UK) »
RC Parish record from this time are often not very detailed, so there's no guarantee that father's names will be included in the record.

The pay-website of the Irish Family History Foundation (www.rootsireland.ie) has transcripts of some RC Co. Roscommon parishes - but I dont see any RC parish on their list named 'Killinvoy And Killmain'. 

update : It looks like Killinvoy And Killmain/Killmeane are civil parishes. There is an RC parish named Killinvoy listed on the Irish Times website.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
found the parish on the NLI (National Library of Ireland) parish index - it's shown on their list as :

Killinvoy, Killmain & Rahara (Knockcroghery)

It's on microfilm Pos. 4617, and includes baptisms and marriages back to 1841. The notes mention some gaps including around 1858 and 1859.

It seems to be included on the RootsIreland system as 'Knockcroghery (St. John's)'

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
I've just purchased the marriage record from rootsireland. Patrick Tracy to Elizabeth Higgins 11/01/1861. Tom, I'll email you the record. Theres very little additional info on it, just 2 witnesses Michael Moore and Catherine Higgins. Parish is Knockcroghery and marriage is definitely RC. Nothing else noted.

Darrin

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:18 BST (UK) »
Shane,
Apologies for daft laddy question, but how do you locate the parish index on the NLI. Havent used that site before and tried various searches unsuccessfully. Does this also include images of the microfiche records or do you need to go elsewhere for those.
Many thanks,
Darrin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 12:22 BST (UK) »
The details on the NLI website are an Index to the films. There's no images online.

see : http://www.nli.ie/en/parish-register.aspx

You have to visit the National Library to see the films.
Many RC parish films are available to order in FamilySearch centres.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane and Darrin,

That's great information about the Irish sites and apart from new information about witnesses, we have no further evidence of Patrick Tracey's parents, would an Irish death certificate carry the parent's names. I don't know date of death yet but that maybe only way of finding out.

Darrin, I had a look at Knockcroghery on Google maps, along the N61 road there is a clay pipe workshop and visitor centre, apparently Knockcroghery, our Patrick and Martin were clay pipe makers apparently. Also Wikipedia mentions a RC church, St Patrick's built circa 1870, which is 9 years after the marriage of Patrick and Elizabeth, so their may have been an older church before.

Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 23:06 BST (UK) »
would an Irish death certificate carry the parent's names. I don't know date of death yet but that maybe only way of finding out.

Irish death certs dont include details of parents - except sometimes as the informant on the death of a child.

see : Details included on a Death Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanew147,

Thanks for the quick answer, will need to think of some other method of determining the correct parents of Patrick Tracey born around 1840.

Tom