Author Topic: Martin Tracey, my wife's great grandfather  (Read 27387 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martin Tracey, my wife's great grandfather
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 September 11 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Darrin and all,

Yes, I think the family in census can be ours, but we just don't have the ability to say yes for definite. f it is ours, Patrick must have died before 1901 census, we can look for a death certificate or monumental inscription.

Looks like the B1 form,  was put there as an example, you can't change parameters. However you can search if you click on

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Scregg/Knockcroghery/

it gives Knockcroghery in house order if that is what you want.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline InfoTracey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tressach Bairrche Barr
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 15 September 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Henry is a very unusual name among the Traceys. Between 1864 and 1885, there was only one born in Connacht. As such, he is a very good marker for tracing the family. I would only trust baptism or birth certs for determining ages.

With regard to the Griffiths Valuation of 1857, if this is the correct Patrick, I would presume that he must have been of legal age. As such, he would have been born before 1840.

Also, there was a number of Traceys living in the adjoining Civil Parish of Kilmeane and neighbouring Civil Parish of Kilteevan.

The Tithe Record would clarify matters.

Regards,

Dec
Tracey Tracy Treacey Treacy O'Treasaigh

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 September 11 18:00 BST (UK) »
Wondered whether traditional naming convention might help find the right Patrick. You noted a little doubt earlier over the correct Elizabeth Higgins b. 1841. Of the 3 potential Elizabeths on the IGI, I agree the b.1841 seems the most viable (the other 2 are less viable on account of either age or distance). Her parents of course are Martin Higgins and Anne McEvee, whilst our elusive Patrick’s parents are either Patrick and Mary (as per Patrick b.1843) or Michael and Brigid (as per b.1842). It seems that Patrick b.1843 is the more likely as it would follow that Patrick and Elizabeth named their first son after her father, their first daughter after his mother, and second daughter after her mother. Convention would normally dictate the first son after the fathers father, but perhaps felt that 3 generations of Patricks was too much and hence went with her father – and they did eventually call their last son Patrick. By contrast, looking at the other Patrick then there is no regard to convention as his fathers name was never used (Michael) and the mothers name not used until the 6th and last daughter.

The slight concern I have is that one of the other Elizabeths, b.1845, well her mother is Mary Henery. This could well be where the unusual name Henry comes in (2nd son).

Darrin

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 16 September 11 17:51 BST (UK) »
I share Dec's presumption that the 3 Tracey families are likely related. They are all living just a few house numbers apart (see Toms link to the 1901 Knockcroghery census ordered by house number) and would imagine they are cousins.

We are still trying to determine the correct Patrick (b1842 versus b. 1843) who married Betty and suspect Mary Tracey of House no. 10 could be Mary Coffey the wrong Patricks wife, m. 12/12/1843 Strokestown. Their son was named Michael (was he the eldest son?) as was his father (good naming convention match) so I'm hopeful this would exclude him and confirm our Patrick as b. 1843.

There is a death record for a Mary Tracey on the IGI d. 1903 aged 68 which seems right. I'm hoping the original shows her maiden name as Coffey. Thought I could get this from rootsireland but cant find it.  Anyone know if this can be got from elsewhere online ?
Darrin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 16 September 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
There is a death record for a Mary Tracey on the IGI d. 1903 aged 68 which seems right. I'm hoping the original shows her maiden name as Coffey. Thought I could get this from rootsireland but cant find it.  Anyone know if this can be got from elsewhere online ?

Irish death certs dont include maiden surnames. You can order a copy of the cert from the GRO using the references in the Index.

see : Details included on a Death Cert
        Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

I think that death reference you mentioned is from the BMD Index, rather than the IGI. The BMD Index is based on the index of Civil records.

RootsIreland has mostly parish records, and most of the details are from before 1900. RC registers rarely include records of death / burial.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline darrinr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 16 September 11 18:52 BST (UK) »
Shane, many thanks for the helpful guidance. Yes the death record was from the BMD, I had assumed the IGI meant everything from the familysearch website.
Darrin

Offline Weelass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 11 July 14 07:25 BST (UK) »
Do you or anyone know the children's names of Martin Tracey and Ann O'Shea? I came across an old letter with a brief note how they were from Ireland and came to live in Glasgow. Im just wondering if who you all are speaking of is a relation.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 12 July 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Weelass,

Got your PM, thought I would reply here as well, in case, others may want the information as well.

"Hi Weelass,

I have got a fair idea of all the children of Martin Tracey and Annie O'Shea  and their marriages. My wife is a granddaughter of their son, John who married Sarah Duffy.
Their children were Catherine, Patrick, who married Margaret McCabe, James Tracey who married Mary McGuire, William, John who married Sarah Duffy, Henry 1900-1902, Ann 1902-1903, Henry who married Ann Wilkinson.
Do these names help you in anyway.

Tom"

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.