Author Topic: Joseph Voss arrived Victoria 1857  (Read 9203 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Voss arrived Victoria 1857
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 September 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
Mike

Rather belatedly in reply to #12, someone has now kindly sent me the census images for 41, 51, & 61, where Thomas is consistently spelled Vofs, though his son William in another part of Dorset in 51 is spelled with the double s.

Cheers,

Gill
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 September 07 01:59 BST (UK) »

Might there be a Will for Joseph Voss? I think you need a number and I'm unsure how to get that- any advice?

I can check if there is a will?
Also, do you have the actual dates of death for Joseph or Hannah Fairey.  I can check death notices.

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 September 07 03:36 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora Genni
I'm sure Gill would appreciate any advice of a Will!

As for me I'd love any "news" of

Joseph Fairy who died 6 August 1908 at St Kilda
Harriet Fairy who died/or was buried 13 August 1896 (also at Chusan St I presume - haven't got the Death Cert).

How easy is it to look up Wills ? I know there was a site somewhere but I got completely lost!
I would love to check on some of the later generations who arrived due to Joseph's generosity!
Very grateful for any advice ;D
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 September 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Genni

If you are able to check for a will or advise me how to do so, I'd be very grateful.

Gill

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 September 07 11:50 BST (UK) »
Lydart

I got Patrick White's "Voss" from the library, and am really enjoying it, though it's quite slow going because of the complicated language.  I like his style - "...the whole stone house was booming with bronze" - a servant had struck the dinner gong!  And this fictitious Voss (Johann Ulrich) is a German, as many Vosses are.  I think it's quite unusual, though not altogether unkown,  to find surnames that are the same in German as in English.

Thanks very much for drawing this book to my attention.  :)

Gillg

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 September 07 06:04 BST (UK) »

If you are able to check for a will or advise me how to do so, I'd be very grateful.

Hi Gill

I checked the probate indexes and Joseph & Thomas Voss had their estates administered.

Thomas VOSS Late of S Melb Farrier died 27th Jan 1869 Estate was Administered 26th July 1889 (20years after death, must have been hard to find NOK) Ref: 39/823
Joseph VOSS of Collingwood Brewers Carter died 11th June 1891 Estate administered Nov 1891
Ref: 45/980

Also found that Joseph died due to a fall from a dray.
Inquest Indexes
Joseph Voss 53 Melbourne Fall from Dray Occupation: Watchman Ref: 1891/715

I can get copies of all these items, if you want.  I'll check them out when I go to the PROV on the 13th.

I forgot to check Joseph Fairey - will endeavour to check him next week.

Regards

Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 September 07 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Gennig
You are a gem! With those reference numbers we can download the Wills free of charge- I have Joseph Fairy's through that means thank you!

It's unfortunate that they're all online but they don't give the ref no unless I've missed something!
Another kind soul found Joseph F's ref no for me sometime ago and I had no trouble downloading it.

This sounds awfully cheeky but could I trouble you to find ref nos for a couple of other Fairys of mine in place of Joseph?  If it's Ok I'll send the names through for you but don't hesitate to tell me if it's not possible!
Thanks very much for the news about the Voss family.
Regards
Marlene

LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 September 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gennig

This is really useful information.   I've been struggling with the pro.vic.gov site trying to find them myself from these ref nos, but am clearly doing something wrong, or looking at the wrong site.  It's very kind of you to offer to get copies for me, but if it's something I can do, that's easier than trying to find a way of paying you - always a problem in a different currency.  On the other hand, if this is something you can do free at your end, I'd love to see the docs for Joseph and Thomas.

Thanks so much

Gill  :)

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 30 September 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
It must get the prize for difficulty in navigating!
Cheers
Marlene