Author Topic: Annat old burial ground  (Read 20669 times)

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Annat old burial ground
« on: Wednesday 19 September 07 22:05 BST (UK) »
Are any of you familiar with the Annat burial ground in Annat (near Torridon and Shieldaig)? I'm wondering whether it's still there, open to visitors, etc. Also, do you know whether an index of the, er, residents exists anywhere?

Thanks!
Kathy
Fraser, Mackenzie, McLean, Macrae and others of Shieldaig and Moray

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annat old burial ground
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy

The pre-1855 gravestones for Annat are listed in the booklet "Pre-1855 gravestone inscriptions in Wester Ross" edited by Alastair G Beattie and Margaret H Beattie. I've got a version published by the Scottish Genealogy Society in 1987.

There are 11 gravestones listed and the Ordnance Survey grid reference number for the location of the burial ground is NG 898547.

If it's a pre-1855 inscription that you're looking for, just let me know and I can check if it's in this book for you.

Hope this helps!
Lynn
Gunn, Grant, McAskill, McKenzie, McIver, McLeod (Gairloch, ROC, Scotland)
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)
McTavish, Fraser, McLellan(?) (Dores, INV, Scotland)

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 07 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

Thanks so much for the offer! I believe most of the people I know for sure were buried there were after 1855, though it's entirely possible some of the earlier ones were my in my family too, though I don't know that they'd have been able to afford headstones. Would you mind checking if McLeans are among those listed? Specifically John and his wife Catherine MS Fraser and Roderick and his wife Ann MS McLennan? Also John Macrae and Christopher McLennan? I appreciate it.

Does that booklet also include Lochcarron Cemetery?

I noticed in your signature that your families include MacKenzies of Gairloch. Mine do as well. Forgive me for not remembering if we've ever checked for a connection. My earliest known connections in the area are Donald Mackenzie of Poolewe and his wife Annabella Macgregor, both born around 1810 or so.

Thanks again!
Kathy

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 07 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy

I've checked the Annat entries for you - there are four stones that mention MacLeans, but not a John MacLean and Catherine Fraser.

The stones are as follows:

"Roderick McBeath died Fassag 1842 aged 47, wife Ann McLean died 1877 aged 84, daughter Ann died Feb 1914 aged 80 years

Flora Macdonald, husband Donald Maclean, died Callakille 12 June 1890 aged 84 years, daughter Annabella died Shieldaig 1852 aged 14 years, Norman Macdonald, merchant, died Ardmore 2 May 1878 aged 72 years.

Erected by Roderick and Grace Maclean, father Kenneth Maclean, innkeeper died April 1845 aged 56 years.

John Murdoch, born New Cumnock 1774, tenant Corry, Torridon for 13 years, died 1845, wife Barbara Mitchell born 1778 died 1852, son William born 1815 died 1896 (wife Mary Maclean born 1824, died 1874)."

The book does also have Kishorn, Lochcarron, Locharron Old and Applecross (as well as quite a few other burial grounds, but these are a bit further away from Annat). Just let me know if there are any others you would like me to look up for you.

By the way, my Gairloch MacKenzies are from the Aultbea/Laide/Mellon Udrigle area of the parish, just about 5 miles north of Poolewe - any connection do you think?

Look forward to hearing from you
Lynn
Ross, McLeod, Campbell, Graham, Gair, Bain, McCulloch (Nigg & Fearn, ROC, Scotland)
Thomson, Matheson, Paterson, Gray, Munro, Fowler, McDonald, Murray, Hossack, McKenzie (Resolis, ROC, Scotland)

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 07 22:17 BST (UK) »
Lynn,

Thanks for those. I don't have any of them as relatives now, but who knows as the search goes on! :)

For Lochcarron, would you mind checking for Donald MacKenzie, died 1853, husband of Janet? Thanks!

As for the Poolewe bunch, it's entirely possible there's a connection with that short distance, though there sure seem to be a LOT of MacKenzies in the area. I don't have any yet who've shown up with Aultbea/Laide/Mellon Udrigle addresses, but I haven't worked too far back in that line yet either. Does my Donald sound at all familiar to you? The only child of his that I'm aware of so far is my gg grandfather Kenneth MacKenzie, born 1831.

All the best,
Kathy

Offline Chortlegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 07 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy

Just started looking through Lochcarron and I think I've found him!

"Erected by MacKenzie brothers, father Donald MacKenzie, tenant Slumbay, died 24 June 1853 aged 62 years, mother Janet Mackenzie died 17 August 1869 aged 70 years, Jessie MacKenzie (widow of Murdo Macrae, late of Shieldaig) died 21 April 1907".

I've checked my tree and although I've got Donald Mackenzies, Kenneth MacKenzies and various McGregors from the Gairloch area in my tree, I don't have the people you mention - as you say, there are a lot of MacKenzies in the parish of Gairloch! However, I dare say that we're connected somewhere along the line.

Best wishes
Lynn

Offline kathyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 07 22:39 BST (UK) »
That's them, all right! Thank you! Jessie and Murdo were my ggg grandparents, Donald and Janet my 4x great grandparents. How wonderful to have that information!

I'll bet we must be connected somewhere. I'll keep the addresses in mind and pop you a message if I find any that might connect to you as I go along.

Thanks again so much for checking the MI book!

Kathy

Offline dodomac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Lynn, I'm looking up my Macgregor ancestors from Gairloch.  You mentioned you had this surname in your tree?  Do you have a Roderick or Rory Macgregor who had a son William, born in Gairloch?  Roderick or Rory married a Mackenzie (believed to be the widow of a Mackenzie).   Roderick may have died in the area of Mellon Udrigle.  Thanks.

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 March 09 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have a Roderick MacGregor that married an Isabella MacKenzie in the 1700's. Is possibly from the Lecky-Kinlochewe area in Gairloch. The one daughter I have is Isabella MacGregor (born abt 1760). If that fits in with what you are searching, I have plenty of info on the descendants of Isabella, who married a MacLennan from Kinlochewe.

Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay