Author Topic: Annat old burial ground  (Read 20763 times)

Offline dodomac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annat old burial ground
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Francisco.  Timelines seem to match, but the Roderick or Rory Macgregor I'm looking for had a son named William.  Any chance Isabella had a brother?

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 March 09 18:12 GMT (UK) »
I don't know. I arrived to Isabella MacGregor working backwards on the Maclennan line. Her death states parents as Roderick MacGregor and Isabella MacKenzie, and her birth according to censuses was Gairloch. What other information do you have about William (approximate birth year, death year) to see if I can find him somewhere.

Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline wulliam

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 August 09 17:05 BST (UK) »
May I add my tuppence worth to this?..regarding Macgregor/Morrison & Macgregor/Mackenzie and Macgregor/Macdonald marriages:

Alexander Macgregor (shepherd and cattle herder according to his 2 son's death certs - seemingly in Achtercairn/Strath according to his widow's residence in 1841/51) married Christian (with lots of variants) Morrison born c1784...4 known children:

Child 1: Roderick born c1806 married Mary Mackenzie and had children John, Mary, Catherine, Ann, Robert, Alexander, Catherine, Margaret, Isabella, Duncan between 1838 & 1862. Roderick was a hill drainer and lived in Kinlochewe (1851, 61, 71) before dying of insanity in 1876.

Child 2: Barbara [/i]born c1811. Only found on 1851 census.

Child 3: Murdoch [/i](also Murdo) born c1812 married Isabella Macdonald of Petty near Inverness in Dec 1830. All their children were born over in the east and Murdoch & Isabella both died in Nairn in 1872 & 1887 respectively. I am  descended from this line.

Child 4: Annabella born c1813. Only found on 1841 census...and presumed to be a daughter. May be wrong.

Might there be a connection that someone is aware of?

Thanks for reading!
William
http://wulliam.rootschat.net

Names and areas I'm searching:
Point, Isle of Lewis: Macleod, Murray
Nairnshire: Cumming, Fraser,Moir
Lincolnshire: Waite, Horn, Moore, Starmer
Norfolk: Wells, Hawes, Rix
Birmingham: Rogers
Bath: Ashman, Weeks
Aughnacloy, N.I: McCamley
Armagh, N.I: Browne, Skelly, Riley
Cornwall: Bickford, Jenkin[g], Watts
Limavady, N.I: Lyons, McIlmoyle, Currie, Clarke

Offline Kiko

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

You're a McGregor descendant? My main line of research are the Maclennans. Every single time they marry into a McGregor I hit a brick wall! The amount of credits I spend in Scotlands People trying to figure out from where they came or where they went is amazing. But probably due to all this effort I've come to appreciate McGregors and I have the best feelings toward each new McGregor that appears in my tree.

All the names and surnames you mention are familiar to me but not in those combinations. But while we don't have a match right now, the fact that your Roderick lived for so long in Kinlochewe and had so many children makes it highly probable that I will find a link sometime. So I better be prepared to buy lots of more credits in SP.

Best luck,
Francisco
MacLennan/Gairloch
McKay/Descendants of the Blind Piper
Jackson, Strong & Chambers/Northumberland
Mills, Cameron/Falkland Islands
Larsen/Denmark
Larrosa/Argentina & Uruguay

Offline Sho Bennett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 March 10 17:10 GMT (UK) »
This question is for Chortlegirl - my first post as I am a Newbie!  In your book of gravesites/headstones, do you show any entry in Applecross for John McRae and his wife, Keat McGullin?  They lived in Cuaig in 1804 when their son, Norman, was born, but I have no idea of their ages.

Thanks so much!

Offline SMacGregor

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 May 10 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thought I'd post a message too as I have read this thread with interest.  I am (also!) descended from the murdoch macgregor / isabella macdonald line.  My line moved across to nairn from gairloch and stayed there abouts untill WW2, though I don't know why they moved there from gairloch.

(work opportunity i suppose - but then how would they have heard about it - it's a long walk to Nairn!?!) Fun to speculate.

Following a visit to girloch it is apparent that the macgregors aren't a common name around those parts these days, and I've always wondered how they came to be all the way up there.  I haven't been able trace further back than alexander macgregor / christian morrison - if anybody has any info further back, please get in touch.

Kind regards to all,

Stuart

Offline amh155

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 August 10 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thought I'd post a message too as I have read this thread with interest.  I am (also!) descended from the murdoch macgregor / isabella macdonald line.  My line moved across to nairn from gairloch and stayed there abouts untill WW2, though I don't know why they moved there from gairloch.

(work opportunity i suppose - but then how would they have heard about it - it's a long walk to Nairn!?!) Fun to speculate.

Following a visit to girloch it is apparent that the macgregors aren't a common name around those parts these days, and I've always wondered how they came to be all the way up there.  I haven't been able trace further back than alexander macgregor / christian morrison - if anybody has any info further back, please get in touch.

Kind regards to all,

Stuart

Offline jim704

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is James Beaton McKenzie.
I have a fascination with a memorial that is in the Annat Old cemetery
that was erected by one John Beaton McKenzie (the name of both my father and my grandfather). Photo attached.
I would like to know where I can turn to find anything about the person
who erected the memorial (parish offices, etc). It may have been my grandfather before he emigrated to Canada in 1906.
I know nothing about him prior to 1906, so family ties are not known (yet).
If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be very grateful.

Offline ardchronie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 October 10 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hello all

Thought I would also post a message here as I am another one descended from the Murdoch Macgregor/Isabella Macdonald line.  My great great grandmother is Christina Macgregor, Murdoch and Isabella's daughter.  I found this thread when googling for any info on Alexander Macgregor/Christian Morrison but haven't had much luck - apart from here, obviously!

I've often wondered too how Murdoch came to be in the Nairn area - he got married in Petty in 1830, according to the IGI, so he wasn't very old when he made the journey. 

Any more info on further back in the Macgregor line would be very interesting if anyone has managed to find any!

Best wishes
Tessa