Author Topic: Broe/Brough of Rathfarnham Dublin  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Broe/Brough of Rathfarnham Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
After some years I still haven't found the baptism of Thomas Broe 1823/4 but can clear up the misunderstanding on his death certificate because I found the marriage of John Broe and his wife Elizabeth Keogh in Rathfarnham. The name is mis-transcribed. The surname Brown is from Elizabeth Keogh's mother whose surname was Brown. I expect that the person who gave the information on the death certificate was mistaken. On Thomas' brother Patrick's death certificate the surname is correct but the Christian name is wrong which led some people to assume that they were half-brothers. His baptism is also in the Rathfarnham PR in 1825 and he was not a twin to Thomas. In all there were several other children for this children in the PRs.
Anne

Offline Broek

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broe/Brough of Rathfarnham Dublin
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 June 20 18:26 BST (UK) »
I have visited Thomas’s grave in Whanganui New Zealand. He was married to Sarah Carroll and later Theresa Clune. Thomas was in the 65th regiment and fought in the Taranaki wars, he died in 1876.
Sarah is buried at Akaroa where they arrived on the ship Maitland.
Thomas and Sarah were my 3x great grandparents and I understand they were from County Kildare in Dublin. I have got as far back as Petris Broe but no further than that. I understand that they were a Catholic family. There were troubles in Whanganui when Thomas’s son John Maitland married into a protestant family the Wallace’s from Antrim in northern island. Arthur Wallace and Thomas Broe were both in the 65th regiment and Thomas’s son John Maitland married Arthur Wallace’s daughter Elizabeth.
There son was Peter Brough who married Annie Ethel Hogg, their son was my grandfather Arthur Charles Brough, married Winifred Mary Munro, their son Desmond Charles Brough is my father, married Jennifer McKenzie my mother.