Author Topic: 1871 Census lookup please - BATES  (Read 5954 times)

Offline arby27

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census lookup please - BATES
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
I'm Sarah Bates's youngest grandson. She used to help look after me when I was little. She then lived at 23 Park Street Bletchley with my Aunt Dora [who I don't think had ever married]. My dad, Sarah's youngest son, William Wellington Bates lived next door but one at 27 Park Street with my mum Irene [nee King].
I have Sarah's Baptism Certificate & her Death Certificate. She died in Tindall General Hospital, Aylesbury aged 97 on Dec 16 1963. She was a lovely, tough old dear & I think the only gene I inherited from her was the huge bags she had under her eyes! Sadly, I have no idea where she was buried.
She was baptised 23 Dec 1866 in the parish church of East Hendred by the rector, Alfred Pott. The entry record is no. 529. Her father, John Anns, was listed as being a Labourer.
I think the other names to be added to Sarah's list of children are twins Gladys & Harold & then my dad Bill [the youngest of her brood of 13]. I have some photos of her & with some of her children - My dad Bill, Dora & Gladys. I also have one solitary photo of Sarah's husband Owen William Bates, taken in his brass band uniform.
I would love to hear if you have any more info on Sarah's family or indeed Owen's.
Many thanks
Ron Bates

Offline Stewart Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 October 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, There are several Newman Bates in branches of my family who all seem to have been based in Buckinghamshire.

I am looking for Sarah,  the wife of William Bates. He was born in Terrick, Bucks in 1866 and was the son of Philip Bates, 1845 in Drayton Parslow, Bucks. I would like to know Sarah's family name. I believe her father was an Anglican vicar.

Christine Thompson.

Offline Stewart Riley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 October 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
Interested to read your post my grandmother was Gertrude bates who was the sister of your grandfather. I do have some pictures of the family.