Author Topic: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish  (Read 82008 times)

Offline helmac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 January 11 03:49 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Rowan family of Upper Shervane.  My ancestor was Jane, daughter of  James Rowan Catherine MacTavish and her brother Andrew.  Jane married John mackay in 1797. She seems to have been related by marriage to the Campbell family and had a son Donald also born in Upper Shervan.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 09 January 11 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in the Rowan family of Upper Shervane.  My ancestor was Jane, daughter of  James Rowan Catherine MacTavish and her brother Andrew.  Jane married John mackay in 1797. She seems to have been related by marriage to the Campbell family and had a son Donald also born in Upper Shervan.

Sorry can't see any ROWAN mentioned in that book.

MB
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline helmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 January 11 06:13 GMT (UK) »
Most amazed there is no mention of the Rowan family as Andrew Rowan  was a part leaseholder of the Shirvan estate in 1813.   Several generations of Rowans lived there from 1770s to 1820. (Helen)

Offline Hector99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 20 January 11 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Anyone interested in this parish should read "A History of the Glassary Stewarts", especially if they have Stewart ancestors.  It was written by my third cousin, Alexander Stewart.  Sadly it is out of print, but the book is in the National Library of Scotland, as well as the British Library.

The families mainly lived at Dunamuck, Druim, Ballimore, Auchoish, Auchinbreck and Achnaba.

Offline Ramonah1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking to find the meaning of a word ( I suspect it is a place name or farm name in Kilmichael Glassary.
Transcript of OPR Births

09/01/1785

"John McCallum Aehadaherlic & Catherine McCallum had a child named John"

The word I am looking for is "Aehadaherlic" possibly "ashadaherlic" or "arhadaherlic"

Any ideas?

Thank You

Ramona

Offline smcurrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 February 12 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am traveling to Scotland in April and am trying to track down any record of the Curries in Glassary Parish. The earliest record I have is of John Currie marrying Mary McAlpine in Glassary on 24 Dec 1791. When they were married, John lived on Balliemore Farm and Mary lived on Lagg Farm.

Any information you would be able to pass along about John or Mary or these farms would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Scott

Offline Amber2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 January 13 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scott. Not sure when you posted your request re information on John Currie and Mary McAlpine. I am also researching the Currie family as I am a descendent of John and Mary`s son Neil.
It would be good to hear from you.
Ila Currie

Offline smcurrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 31 January 13 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amber, thanks for your response. I am a descendant of John and Mary's son Donald Currie (b. Dec 23, 1799), who emigrated to Ontario, CA, and Donald's son Neil Man Currie who then moved to the Detroit area, where I grew up.

I don't have much information about John and Mary, and I don't have any information about their parents. I visited Lochgilphead and Kilmichael Glassary -- around where they were married -- in April of 2012, but didn't find anything other than the parish located there.

If you have any information, please share it and I will be certain to do the same.

Thanks again!
Scott

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 01 February 13 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Ramonah,  possibly Achadhaherlich? not on here though,    http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/

Skoosh.