Author Topic: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish  (Read 82005 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin
can you please tell me if Barradaroch is mentioned in the book my family of Galbraiths/Galbreaths lived there
kindest regards
aeroqueen

Sorry not in the book.

Where is it, I can't find the place in CANMORE.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline olorin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 June 08 14:25 BST (UK) »
Martin, do your books have any info on the location of Silvercraigs, Glassary parish, which is on the point of land between Loch Gilp and Loch Fyne, and which is still on the maps.  Time period of interest:  late 1700's.

Thanks,
Peggy Brodie

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 June 08 15:07 BST (UK) »
Martin, do your books have any info on the location of Silvercraigs, Glassary parish, which is on the point of land between Loch Gilp and Loch Fyne, and which is still on the maps.  Time period of interest:  late 1700's.

Thanks,
Peggy Brodie

Sorry but it does not have any settlements shown South of the road on that headland, just West Otter on the next one to the North East.

They seem to have gone by names and locations on gravestones which are recorded by each place names.

It has Ballimore, Tomdubh, Acres, Ardnaherir, Drimfuar, Carrick, Drimgarbh along just North of the road (though Ballimore seems to be South the current aligment) going West to East.  And West Otter which was presumably the Western end of the ferry.

CANMORE

Archaeology Notes
NR88SE 5 NR 889 845

Prior to a redevelopment, including the demolition of a small 19th-century stone building, a programme of archaeological
works consisting of an evaluation and historic building recording was undertaken in June 2005. An early map ref erence suggested that a mill may have been present on this site. The field evaluation consisted of five trenches totalling 35m in length. This included a section across the wall of the stone building. The evaluation failed to yield either significant arch aeological deposits or artefacts. The building proved to be an outbuilding associated with a 19th-century farmstead. No earlier features or artefacts were identified.
Archive to be deposited in NMRS.
Sponsor: Mr Graham.
D Wilson 2005
References
Wilson, D (2005 c)
'Silvercraigs, Lochgilphead (Kilmichael Glassary parish), evaluation; standing building recording'
Discovery Excav Scot, 6, 2005, 30,

Martin Briscoe
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 June 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look in GOOGLE BOOKS?

Views and notices of Glasgow in former times - Page 99
by Robert Stuart - 1848
SILVERCRAIGS' LAND, &c. THE first in point of antiquity of the buildings represented
in ... one of which bore the gyron quarterings of the family of Argyll, ...

The Highlands and Western Isles of Scotland, Containing Descriptions of ... - Page 62
by John Macculloch, Walter Scott - Highlands (Scotland) - 1824
A ruined castle, built by the Argyll family, looks down from the bill above; and,
... The anchorage of Silvercraigs, near Loch Gilp, is one of the most ...

Several others and could be more with a different search pattern, these are fully downloadable books.

Martin Briscoe
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline olorin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 June 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much-- I'll look at those this evening.  The info on Drimfuar is also helpful, I hadn't been able to locate that settlement.  Can you tell if Drimfuar and Drim are the same place? 
Peggy

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 June 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much-- I'll look at those this evening.  The info on Drimfuar is also helpful, I hadn't been able to locate that settlement.  Can you tell if Drimfuar and Drim are the same place? 
Peggy

Druimfuar

"Druimfuar lies on the hills between the old settlement of Achnaba and the present Achnaba above the road which starts at the end of the 'cutting', about half a mile from Ballibeg, and joins the road leading into the hill from Blue Rock holiday flats."

Deaths
Hugh Dewar (1) - 1856
Nancy MacFarlane (87) - 1859
Malcolm Brodi (85) Fisherman 1859

"This was a crofting settlement which was cleared possibly earlier than 1859"
It quotes a hearing "into complaints by crofters held at Tarbert 17th April 1894, Peter Whyte of Silvercraigs named the following tenants: widow Campbell, Duncan Dewar, Hugh MacEwan and John Maclarty.  It seems likely that they would have been evicted before 1859 as the old people in the list of deceased would not have been crofting.  Whyte, in his evidence, stated that as far as he knew the last clearances had been around 32 years before 1894.  He couldn't recall the earlier ones.  I think perhaps Lagna-hullaidh on the shore may been the last"

"The people of those crofting settlements had been cleared three times.
There are three or more ruined buildings"

Druimgarbh
"These are possibly the next croft ruins along from Druimfuar.  There are two houses and other buildings.  Above, on the bank, is an old quern and I what I think could be a kiln for drying corn.  It hasn't been occupied for a long time"

"At the same meeting in Tarbert, two tenants are named, Kenneth Brodie and Duncan MacEwan."

Send me your EMail address in a Private Message and I will send a scan of the map which identifies some settlements.

Martin Briscoe
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

I'm new to RootsChat but certainly NOT to this genealogy 'lark'!

I've managed to trace my CRAWFORD roots back to Sherdrim (formerly Sheardrim) and Kilmichael Glassary in about 1796.  Unfortunately the whole of Argyllshire seems to have been populated by Crawfords and while births have been no problem locating, marriages and deaths have.

Can you help with ANY information for any of these children of my Great Great Grandparents DONALD CRAWFORD and MARY CAMPBELL who were married on 16 Dec 1810 in Kilmichael Glassary, Argyllshire

MARY CRAWFORD, b. 06 Jan 1812, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire.

DONALD CRAWFORD, b. 15 Apr 1814, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire; d. 15 Jun 1871, 42 Bedford Street, Glasgow; m. MARY MORRISON, 27 May 1844, Glassary, Argyllshire; d. Aft. 1871. Cause of Death: Disease of Bladder 3 years.  Occupation: 1871, Joiner (Journeyman)

JANET CRAWFORD, b. 02 May 1816, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire.

ALEXANDER CRAWFORD, b. 08 Jan 1818, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire.

ISABEL CRAWFORD, b. 27 Aug 1820, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire.

MARGARET CRAWFORD, b. 26 Aug 1823, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire.

JOHN CRAWFORD, b. 23 May 1829, Breunport, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire.

JAMES CRAWFORD, b. 19 Mar 1832, Breunport, Sherdrim, Glassary, Argyllshire; d. 08 Jul 1890, Paddle Steamer 'Viceroy'.

CHRISTIAN CRAWFORD, b. 22 Nov 1833, Barbreck, Glenorchy & Inishail, Argyllshire.

I have follow-up information for ISABEL, MARGARET and JAMES (Great Grandfather) but nothing else for the others, apart from what's shown.
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
I can't see sherdrim or Sheardrim in the book.

There is Shirvan (Upper, Mid and Lower) but I can't see any Crawford mentioned in those places.

There are a couple of mentions of Shirvan in CANMORE but no match on She(a)rdrim.

No matches on Sheardrim in Google Books and just one of Sherdrim in the Journal of Clan Campbell of America but you can't see the text, there is one for Shirvin in Leigh's New Pocket Road-book of Scotland.

I can scan the pages on Shirvan and send them to you if you wish, send me your EMail address in a Private Message.

Martin Briscoe
Fort William
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again Martin

Thanks for looking anyway.  Sherdrim (Sheardrim) is now Minard and itlies on the west shore of Loch Fyne.

I'm off to New Register House on Friday again and will continue the search there!

Regards to Ian McPherson at the Rhu Mhor Guest House on Alma Road should you see him.

Andy Crawford
(aka 'Chiad Fhear')
St andrews
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk