Author Topic: 1913 & 1914 Electoral Roll  (Read 7547 times)

Offline cissy172

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1913 & 1914 Electoral Roll
« on: Tuesday 25 September 07 22:07 BST (UK) »
 ???
Hi
Is there anyone who can help me?

I have Lavinia Shard died in Aston, Warwickshire...
 buried at St.Pauls Bury, Lancashire....alongside her husband..
but the address on the register is ....
45 Sand Street, Stalybridge....

Is there anyway I can find out who was at this address in 1913 & 1914....she had 2 sons and I'm just wondering if she was with one of them.....

Thanks

Cissy
Shard..Widnes/Radcliffe inLancashire & Doncaster Area
Wrigley...Radcliffe & Bury Area
Mitchell ...Gwinear Cornwall/Radcliffe Lancashire/Stockport Cheshire
Allen....Radcliffe Lancashire
Ashworth... Bury & Radcliffe Lancashire
Goodier....Stockport Cheshire

Offline las camelias

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1913 & 1914 Electoral Roll
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 07 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Cissy,
My understanding is that there were no electoral roles produced during the war years 1914-18.  The last one I found when searching for a particular area was 1912 and then then was nothing until 1920.  Same for WW11, none produced 1939-45.  I am sure someone will correct this if wrong.

LC

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry am unable to help on this but can someone tell me where to access the other electoral rolls?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline las camelias

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 October 07 20:47 BST (UK) »
I think electoral roles are kept at the County Record Office

LC

Offline cissy172

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies...
i guess I'll have to keep looking....

cissy
Shard..Widnes/Radcliffe inLancashire & Doncaster Area
Wrigley...Radcliffe & Bury Area
Mitchell ...Gwinear Cornwall/Radcliffe Lancashire/Stockport Cheshire
Allen....Radcliffe Lancashire
Ashworth... Bury & Radcliffe Lancashire
Goodier....Stockport Cheshire

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 October 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Cissy, Electoral Registers are kept at the local central library for the area & there may also be copies at any local archives.  So you need to find & visit the central library that covers Stalybridge.  The registers for around this time are normally in districts for the area & then the road names are in alphabetical order.  I cannot remember exact dates but registers used to be released twice a year before becoming just once a year. 

There should be a master index for you to look up the district for Sand Street & then you have to look through that district's register to find the address.  Then it will list all the men over 21 years of age, who registered to vote, but remember not every man did.  What about the women I can hear you say, well they didn't get the vote till 1918 & even then they had to be over 30, see link about the Suffragettes: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/1918_representation_of_the_peopl.htm

That said, I have seen a couple of women in early electoral registers, but both were widowed & alone, so maybe the registrar slipped up or made an exception.  The final point about these registers is that they were about 6 to 8 months behind time.  This means that if anyone registered to vote & then moved house or died, their name would still appear in the electoral register for the following year, in that area.  This can be quite disconcerting the first time when you find a relative's name a year after you know they died.  I'm fairly sure there will be a 1914 register, but remember all registers will have been printed from information collected some 6-8 months earlier.

As Lavinia died in Aston now part of Birmingham, was she just visiting Aston & was 45 Sand Street given as her home address on the death cert?  If so, then you may well find one of her sons or another relative at Sand Street, don't just look at 1913 /14, go earlier to see how long they had lived there.  Unless you already know the answer, I would also try & find out why Lavinia was in Aston e.g. was she visiting relatives, where did she die & so on.

Let us know how you get on with the electoral registers, they can be very confusing but also rewarding as to who else is living in the house, lodgers, boarders, nearby, etc.  I have found names that fit in with family stories & also a married chap & his wife living two doors away from his mistress, my cousin's mom!  Hope you can follow above.  Regards, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.

Offline TonyR

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 07 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cissy, it looks like Tameside library is the one you want.  Follow link http://www.tameside.gov.uk/libraries/tracingpeople and you can contact them to ask if they have electoral registers for the required years.  Good luck, TonyR.
Rooney Carlow/Wicklow to Dublin to Belfast to Birmingham. Johnston & Smyth Co Down. Crowe & Ryan Tipperary. Day, Rhodes & Johnston Barrow-in-Furness. Day, Bailey & Page Bedford. Day & Mead Somerset. Rhodes, White & Taylor Swadlincote. Reynolds Haverfordwest. Weekly Fishguard. Barzey Wales.