Author Topic: In search of G Aunt and Uncle Help please  (Read 1162 times)

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
In search of G Aunt and Uncle Help please
« on: Monday 20 December 04 18:11 GMT (UK) »
I am in search for my mother of her Aunt and Uncle

As a child she was unaware that a Aunt existed and it was only afer the death of her father that post cards were found . The uncle she was aware of but has no recolection of ever meeting him
I was wndering if anyone could help me in this quest

My gAunts name was Florence Annie Sayer born in 1895 Aysgarth Yorkshire  She was the daughter of Emanuel And Sarah Sayer   (Emanuel was from Gloucester and Sarah from Durham  )
She was still living at home which was Warmsworth Hall in Doncaster in 1908 When her father was killed in a coaching accident  Florence signed the death certificate
Sarah her mother remarried 6 months later and fromwhat we can gather the stepfather was not liked by my grandfather . He made the children use his last name which was Carr and they moved to Ulceby Lincolnshire where Sarah Died in 1918
Did Florece go with them, marry become a servant somewhere I do not know and would like to find out
Florence was the 2nd child

Lionel P Sayer  my great Uncle was born in Wales to same parents in 1893   Unknown what happened to him was thought from t he post cards he joined the British Army

Third child was Alexander Gordon Robson Sayer  born in Aysgarth Killed at sea during WW1 Burried in Belguim

Final child my Grandfather Wilfred b Sayer
born in Doncaster in 1901  died 1971
Left home at early age and severed ties with his mother  Changed  the spelling of last name to SAYERS

Any help would be much appreciated I have been searching on and off for 7 years

Sayer,Barnes,Markwick,Goldup, Morley,Diwell,Graham

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
Re: In search of G Aunt and Uncle Help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 December 04 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I have read about success stories about family history problems like your own at GenesReunited, which have been resolved. I'm sorry that I cannot give you direct answers, but you may be able to find somebody who can. I sure know I have on a number of occasions ;)

http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk

Give it time, and get your information 'out there' ;D It'd be such a marvellous X-MAS prezzy to find out some quality info, so I wish you the best of luck with your search!!

:)
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  I think I tried Genereunited but i will go abck and try again.   It truly would be a good christmas present for my mum.
Thank you :)

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 December 04 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Soclaxpm,

The Sayers of Aysgarth and surrounding areas are one of my lines, and whilst I do not have the names you mention in my tree I feel there must be a connection, simply because of the Aysgarth birth.   There were dozens of Sayers in the area - and still are a few.   

I appreciate that you are trying to come forward in order to find your relatives, but if you are able to go back a generation or so pre 1895 and tell me who or what their connection to Aysgarth was I might be able to help you, if not personally then by putting you in touch with someone who knows more than I do about the history of this family!  No promises though!

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline soclaxpm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying
The only Connection I have to Aysgarth is my great Aunt and her brother were born there  . The parents were Emanuel and Sarah Sayer , Emanuel was born in Gloucester and Sarah in Durham. They married in Wales , were servants Emanuel was a coachman and Sarah a house maid  I do not know what they did in Aysgarth but after there they lives at Warmsworth hall in Doncaster

What I have on the Sayer line that goes back further is that Emanuel was one of 10 children to Thomas and Sarah Sayer  they resided in Gloucester . thomas was born to Elizabeth Sayer  no father named.
Elizabeth was the daughter of john and Hannah Sayer , Elizabeth was born as were her siblings in Sherston Magna Wiltshire.    I have  only made one connection to that SAyer line and we have been unable to go back any further than end of 1700.  Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated
 Thank you once again

Karen :)

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 13:11 GMT (UK) »
I will p.m. you with details of who to contact.

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk