Author Topic: Griffiths - Mitchel Troy - 18th Century  (Read 8269 times)

Offline Roger Griffiths

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Griffiths - Mitchel Troy - 18th Century
« on: Monday 20 December 04 18:50 GMT (UK) »
My family lived in Mitchel Troy in 18th Century.

John died 1749. Not in Burial Register. His wife Hannah ? died 1780, buried 17 May 1780.

Their children, Michael bapt. 18 Oct. 1741, possibly died Monmouth 1800, Thomas bapt. 4 June 1743, and Tacy bapt. 30 Aug. 1747, died 1757, not in burial Register.

Thomas Bn. 1743 married Jane ?, latter died 1802, buried 19 Sept. 1802.
Their children were James Bapt. 17 Jun. 1792, died Soudley Glos. 1857 and Tacy Bapt. 17 May 1795.

James 1792 - 1857 married Susanna Carpenter 1788 - 1859 at Newland, Glos. in 1825.

I am GGGrandson of James 1792 - 1857.

I am stuck with John and Hannah. Going out in ever increasing circles, marriage possibilities for John and Hannah are Hereford 8 Apr. 1741 and for Thomas and Jane 21 May 1787 Wormbridge, Hereford 21 May 1787.

For the latter couple, marriage James Griffiths and Jane Jenkins at Wonastow, Mon. 1782, later living Redbrook, Glos. does not seem to be correct.

Tacy, any Quaker connections?

Any clues would be most welcome,

Seasons Greetings,

Roger   

Moderator comment : moved to Monmouth Board
Griffiths Forest of Dean 19th Century
Griffiths Mitcheltroy, Mon. 18th century

Offline MonFamilies

• I have turned off my Noifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths - Mitchel Troy - 18th Century
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Griffiths of Wonastow married Jane Jenkins of Wonastow at Wonastow 31.12.1782 why is this not correct. Have you found any children baptised to this couple. From my experience Wonastow and Mitchel Troy are practically part of Monmouth. that is where I would like for any children born to Thomas & Jane before 1792 at Mitchel Troy.
mon families

Offline Roger Griffiths

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 February 05 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying. I have only just picked up your Post. There was no automatic e-mail prompt for your Post.

Yes, I am aware of the Thomas Griffiths = Jane Jenkins marriage at Wonastow in 1782, the only Thomas and Jane marriage. There was a Jane Jenkins in Mitchel Troy at the right time too.

They then lived at Redbrook, Glos. and had children George 1782, Thomas 1786, John 1788, James 1791, Frances 1794 and Mary Anne 1794, probably twins. I have had correspondence with a descendant of Mary Anne.

Going back, my GGGrandfather James in 1851 Census (Soudley, E. Dean Glos.) gave his birthplace as Mitchel Troy, Mon. Mitcheltroy Parish baptism records give James 1792 and Tacy 1795. Oh, it's occurred to me, was James baptized twice (Mitchel Troy and Redbrook) and was Frances baptized twice, the latter as Tacy in remembrance of parents daughter bapt. 1747 and buried 1757 in Mitchel Troy. Somehow, I don't think so.

Regards,

Roger       

Offline MonFamilies

• I have turned off my Noifications
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 February 05 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Was James baptised twice or did the first James die young, Was Frances baptised twice not sure what you mean. You dont point out 2 baptisms for a Frances.

Have you found the burials of your Thomas & Jane Griffiths. I have the baptism, marriage & burials for Mitchel Troy 1725 - 1900, and records for every other parish in the area.

mon families

Offline Roger Griffiths

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 February 05 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I don't think there were double baptisms in my case, but such things occurred. I said Frances/Tacy because Mary Anne was always subsequently referred to as Mary Anne.

Wonastow, Mitchel Troy and Redbrook are all within walking distance, albeit one would get ones feet wet between the latter two.

My original Post should show progression. There's no burial record for Thomas, but Jane 1802, Mitchel Troy, as in first Post.

There's something I'm missing in all this. Going back to John and Hannah, because his children were born between 1741 and 1747 he was not involved in War of Spanish Succession (1741 - 1748). I feel missing marriages mean they took place far away, like Herefordshire or even Staffordshire. The proof is another thing.

Thank you for your interest.

Roger 

Offline jonesthereme

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Did you get any further with a possible marriage of Michael GRIFFITHS, who was born 1741 and baptised 18 October 1741 at Michel Troy, Monmouth?
The reason I ask is because I am looking for the birth of a Michael GRIFFITHS who married Elizabeth BROWN on 10 August 1768 at St Nicholas Parish church, Gloucester, Gloucs.
There is no obvious sign my Michael was born in Gloucs.
As the combination of ''Michael'' and ''Griffiths'' is uncommon I am hoping this Monmouth Michael Griffiths is my guy.

Regards,
Brian

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 March 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
At last, after many years, I have found a possible marriage by lic. for John Griffith(s) and Hannah (Coley).

It's from IGI/LDS. Marriage 21January1740 Worcester Cathedral between:-

John Griffith born c1715 St John Bedwardine Worcester

and

Hannah Coley born c1719 Stone Staffordshire

This coincides with another IGI extraction re born c1715 and c1719

Does anyone have any knowledge of Worcester parish registers.

Thank you
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline thehermitage99

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Where did those ribs disappear to?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 15 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Roger and JonestheREME.. I am very interested in your posts; the Michael Griffiths referred to in JonestheREME's post was my 5x gt grandfather.  He married Elizabeth Brown in Gloucester in 1768 and had three children, Elizabeth (1769), Michael (1781-1783) and Susannah (1786-1788).  Elizabeth Griffiths (nee Brown) died in Gloucester in 1814 but despite searching all the parish records in Gloucester I can not find a burial for Michael senior. I also wondered if he was the Mitchel Troy Michael???  It could also be that my Michael was a soldier, sailor, or criminal as the gaps between the children is unusual for the time.

Roger... do you have any suggestion that your Michael was in Gloucester and may be my Michael?
JonestheREME.. what's your link to the Gloucester Michael if I may ask?

thanks both...
Bryan Griffiths..

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 15 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bryan,

I'm afraid I don't know. I originally made a request about 2005. I did have correspondence with someone, don't know whether it was you, re Michael. Otherwise nothing. Considering the in depth knowledge and willingness to help on Rootschat, there doesn't seem to be any hope. Michael was a very rare christian name in Monmouthshire, and Gloucestershire for that matter. There was a burial of a Michael Griffiths at Monmouth 1800. I have to assume that was my Michael (without any proof).

In this Thread, I thought I might have made a breakthrough, but the Worcester connection turned out to be a dead end. Tantalisingly, Michael was a popular christion name in the Worcester area.

Added: I've got this mixed up between Threads. We have corresponded before as above.

My relationship would be, Michael b1741, Thomas b1743 (I am descended from him), Tassee (Tacy) 1747 - 1757.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.