Author Topic: St Clements - BREE / completed  (Read 15691 times)

Offline Alleycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Clements - BREE / completed
« on: Friday 28 September 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
Trying to find any information about David George BREE, born 22/11/1934 in the Parishof St Clements. Father - John Francis Carboulec Bree, mother - Marie Alexandrina BELHOMME. Thankyou all in advance to those that help me. Alleycat    :)

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Clements - BREE
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 07 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Alleycat

Is there anythng specific you are looking for?

What do you know already?

Stewart

Offline Alleycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 September 07 04:53 BST (UK) »
Sorry Stewart, am quite new to all this. Thanks for replying. I know my dad was born in the parish of St Clements 22/11/1934. He remembers there being 7 children, names of which i have only just found out via the registration cards that they had to have back in 1940. I would like to know more info about his parents as at this stage i have no inifo on them except their names. Would like to get more information as i have attempted several times over the years to start my family tree with no success so i am trying yert again.
many thanks Alleycat

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 September 07 14:57 BST (UK) »
Me again

So if I find who more information about your grandparents, that hopefully should take you back beyond 1901 and then you can start looking at the census.

Leave it with me for a few days.

What part of the world are you from?

Stewart

Offline Alleycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 September 07 04:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stewart. Im from Australia. Mum and Dad came out on the 10pound passage at the end of 1960. Alleycat

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 12:39 BST (UK) »
Progress!!

Can I first give you some background information about the BMD's in Jersey. Apologies if you already know this. Sadly, very few of the records are computerized so it's a case of going through manual indexes. There is an index for each Parish (of which there are 12) and these are sub-divided into Births, Deaths and Marriages. They are then sub-divided into volumes covering different (random?) periods. The good thing though is that once you have the index entry, you can look at the original certificate. What I have found is that the Bree's were centered around the eastern Parishes of Grouville, St. Clement, St. Helier and St. Martin, which made life a lot easier.

OK, so what do we know already. Yes, the registration card which was required during the occupation was a good place to start and so I have looked up the index entries for them if you should want to request the certificates later.

Charles Edward Bree- Born St. Helier, volume 65 (20/7/1935 - 22/5/1937) page 22

Michael Roy Bree - Born St Helier, volume 65 (20/7/1935 - 22/5/1937) page 92

Doreen Mary Bree - Born St. Saviour, no volume (24/10/1932 - 6/4/1938) page 486

Margaret Teresa Bree - Born St. Helier, volume 67 (25/4/1939 - 20/9/1941) page 26

Derek Bree - Born St. Helier volume 67 (25/4/1939 - 20/9/1941) page 77

For John Charles Bree see later.

David George Bree as we know was born in St Clement 27/11/1934 and the index entry is 26/7/1934 - 30/2/1947, page 18.

I thought the best place to start was to try and find the marriage of John Francis Bree to Marie and this I found. They were married 20/3/1934 at the church of St. Thomas in Val Plaisant, St. Helier (a Roman Catholic Church). The index entry is St. Helier Registrar, volume 28, May 1933 - Jan 1935, page 48. I have seen the marriage certificate and the details are:

John Francis Carboulec Bree, aged 20 and a bachelor. He was residing in St. Clement but was born in Grouville and his father was given as John William Bree. Both John's were labourers.

Marie Alexandrine Belhomme was aged 20 and a spinster. No occupation given. She was also residing in St. Clement where she was born. Her father was Louis Charles Belhomme who at the time of the marriage was a deceased labourer.

There were two notes appended to the certificate.

One was "the parties here acknowledge John Charles Belhomme born St Helier, 14/10/1933 as their child".

Sadly, the second note states that the marriage was dissolved 13/9/1966.

I then looked for the birth certificate of John Francis Bree. As he married in 1934 and was aged 20, this narrowed down the search. I found Jean (pronounced John) Francis Carboulec Bree born in Grouville. The index is 2/5/1913 to 20/12/1926, page 5.

The certificate told me he was born 23/5/1913 to Jean Bree and Amelia Carboulec. Jersey is a strange place in that they tend always to refer to the ladies maiden name. They assume they were married. Jean Bree was a Jounalier (journeyman) and the birth was registered by Marianne Le Roux.

This is as far back as I have got at the moment. The next step is to find the marriage of John/Jean William Bree to Amelia Carboulec and this I should be able to do in a couple of days time. A first quick look was not too promising. However if I can find JWB's birth or death that may help.

I have made lots of notes and also recordered other Bree's as I came across them in case I need them later. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense - I could have transcribed it incorrectly.

Stewart

Offline Alleycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 07 02:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Stewart, you are such a gem  ;), Many many thanks for doing that. I can now say that I have a family tree (sapling anyway). Any other info will of course be greatfully accepted (it goes without saying that many thanks are attached to that as well). I can now go off to our little genealogy group and let them know what you havefound for me. I would like to ask if you know how I could search if people are still on the island.
Again Many thanks
Alleycat

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 07 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Alleycat

I have a further twig for your sapling!

I have seen Amelia Bree's Registration Card and Identity Card from the Occupation. The ID card number is 26000 and there is a picture of Amelia attached.

There are various addresses given and they are as follows:

16/1/1941 - 2, Baudains Cottage, La Rocque, Grouville.
18/8/1941 - 2, Rosemount Cottages, Mont Pinel, St Helier.
18/11/1942 - 12a Caprice Villas, Le Breton Lane, St Heller.

She gives her status as married but claims dual nationality by having French parents but British by marriage.

On the back of the Registration Document children under 14 years have to be listed and there is a William George Bree born 10/8/1927 at Gorey Village, St. Martin. So, John/Jean Francis Carcoulec Bree had a brother!

I have also discovered a letter, the details of which I will send by private email.

It is possible to get copies of the documents if required.

Regards

Stewart

Offline Alleycat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 October 07 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart, thanks for that info, you don't know how much this means to me (well you might) to finally be finding out info about my family. In Tuesday 2nds posting you wrote that David George Bree was born 27 Oct 1934 - is this right as I now it to be the 22 Oct 1934, are you able to check that out for me please  :). How do I go about getting copies of everything and what would the cost be.
Again, many thanks for you help
Alleycat