Author Topic: Lloyd family - advice/suggestions please  (Read 25597 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd family - advice/suggestions please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 October 07 22:00 BST (UK) »
There aren't a lot of Lloyds on the 1881-(within the same area as the Holmes ) but saw an Edward, altho not a biblical name...and this time I paid more attention and he is less than a dozen homes from the two John Roberts mentioned earlier ( House 8 & 10 in the homes previous)...so all may tie in with your gang somewhere...cousins or something, perhaps...

The way things are going, here...wouldn't hold that the two in the household are married ...could still be brother and sister with John a widow.... :P  :D

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 01 October 07 22:04 BST (UK) »
J.J. - hate to disillusion you but Roberts were two a penny there. There's someone in Melbourne who's got the whole list of Roberts in that area - i did have them somewhere.

We Roberts get everywhere  ;D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

coffeecup

« Reply #29 on: Monday 01 October 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
J.J there is this though: Zechariah Lloyd married a Mary Ann Roberts in 1880 at Rhosymedre. She was also born 1859 in the general Llangollen area. I've not got as far as her yet. Too many when the Parish history is still like wading through mud to me. At least as you say Lloyds are less common.

I've just looked through 1861 Llandegla and Trefyd Bychain to see if they are there. No but there was a Fron....is that the same as Vron? with an Edwards family (butcher). At the end of the township the ennumerator had crossed out the last family, and written...''Entry 104 in the Parish of Llantysilio''. Sure enough there is one page for that district 11 Llantysilio, and the other district 12, doesn't contain the Lloyds. If they were at Vron in 51 and 71 then surely there in 61?  :-\ :-\ :-\ Where on earth is it?

William I will certainly have a look at that! The Hawker alerts interest! Mariam was born about 1825. Do you think she caught herself a younger man?

coffeecup

« Reply #30 on: Monday 01 October 07 23:06 BST (UK) »
Just sent for Zechariah's birth certificate. Have to wait until 9th October.  ::)

Fingers crossed that it will have an address too, as it's only 2 years before 1861 census.

Thanks so much everybody for your input. The moral support is priceless.

;D ;D ;D

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 07:44 BST (UK) »
Wow coffeecup, the "team" has really been busy over the past 24 hours since I last checked in!! 

A couple of thoughts about Betws.  The Betws Gwerfyl Goch is by far the closest one to Fron or Cymmo/Llantysilio - probably about 12 miles as the crow flies!  For your info here are a couple of links
Info on parish registers for Betws/Merioneth in Dolgellau:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/MER_PR.html
Genuki link:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MER/BettwsGwerfylGoch/index.html
and a map
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?&t=l&map=53.0070455207211,-3.44408508731419|13|4&loc=GB:53.0070455207211:-3.44408508731419:13&dp=841#t=l&map=52.99679,-3.32049|13|4&dp=841&loc=GB:53.0070455207211:-3.44408508731419:13

If I've done the map link right you should have Betws in the red circle on the extreme left and Rhewl on the right  (close to the bottom of the sliding bar on the right - at the top of the horseshoe of the river ) Cymmo is just to the west of Rhewl.

Hope this helps
Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rachel Bowen

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working due to inactivity
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 09:19 BST (UK) »
"the Llantysilio near Llangollen."
Hello Gadget - Thanks for the reply, I am not saying that the Llantysilio you are talking about is not the one near Llangollen, but when looking for places, that it is wise to consider other places with the same, or similar, name. One thing is certain too, the transcriptions of the census returns are often very poor indeed, especially for Wales as they are often done by people with no knowledge of Wales or Welsh. One doesn't necessarily have to speak Welsh to be any good at it, but a knowledge of Welsh place-names should be a pre-requisite for anyone doing these transcriptions.

I lived in the Ruabon area for a very long time, and am greatly interested in Local History wherever I live. I even ran a local history society before they were fashionable. I know the Llantysilio, having passed through it on my way from Melin Y Wig, to teach in Acrefair for many months. I have never heard this Llantysilio called "yn Ial' before. But your reference from Genuki does say that it is in the "hundred of Yale".

It would be good to have some maps of the area attached to the site. I have one of Melin Y Wig, but the scan is so poor that the details are virtually unreadable.

Rachel

coffeecup

« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 14:40 BST (UK) »
Heather thanks for the links. Worked a treat. I clearly see where Bettws G.G. is. It does seem likely that it is the right place. Easy to make your way down what is now the A5 towards Llantysilio. The fact that Paul here did find Margeret Anns baptism in that Parish is another reassurance that it is the correct Llantysilio.

What needs to be establised is if Margaret married into the Lloyd family, and if she was Mariam's mother. She is the one who put Bettws as her birthplace. I suppose it's more likely that if she did marry John Lloyd it would be around there perhaps, the brides home rather than the grooms? It's interesting and frustrating that none of the older family members appeared on Pauls look up list. They were not specific at all in telling the registrar where they were born, but this is a reoccuring problem.

I think it's extremely likely that they were bapitised. If you name your sons Emanuel and Zechariah you're going to be following Bibical Law pretty closely I would imagine?

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph. the Zachariah Lloyd married1880 Rhosymedre, his dad is Elias Lloyd. Is he yours?

Paul

coffeecup

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul, there can't be too many Zechariah Lloyd's marrying in 1880 Rhosymedre so without having details of it I would say yes at this stage, that's really extremely interesting......yes he has got to be! Wife should be Mary Ann Roberts?

I had to decide whether to send for birth or marriage cert and have just sent off for the birth......you've found the marriage there Paul?