Author Topic: Problems with the Fletts of Bea in Harray  (Read 3782 times)

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Problems with the Fletts of Bea in Harray
« on: Sunday 30 September 07 11:42 BST (UK) »
Problems with the Fletts???

I NEED SOME ONE WHO CAN HELP ME WITH SOME DIFFICULT RESEARCH.

The information that I have from my Orkney researcher concerning Robert of Bea, is that Robert of Bea was the only son of  James of Bea and Christine Hay, that he died in 1681 and I have a copy of his original testament, plus transcripts, but not with me. This information was gained in the 1980’s and states that he was married twice. The first  marriage was to Christine (or Christane) Harvey and they had 8 children; James (eldest, became James of Bea) William (became William of Pow), Robert, John, Alexander, Thomas Andrew (youngest) and Jannet. His 2nd wife was Margaret Linay and there was no issue. (Robert’s mother was still alive when he died as he owed her 4 pounds) Bea was bought on 10th March , 1629, by James of Bea, the oldest son of James the Elder of Netherbrough, and the father of Robert of Bea.
   I am related to four of these 7 sons, James, William, Thomas and Alexander. My problem is that I am finding conflicting information on the IGI.  I have found Robert Flett who was born circa 1618 in Bea, married circa 1644 in Bea and died in August, 1681.His wife was listed as Mrs Robert Flett,  and they had 4 children, John b 1645, Bea, Thomas b 1647, Bea, Andrew b 1649, Bea and Jannet b 1851 Bea. This Mrs Robert Flett was born in Bea about 1620 and died about 1652.
   I have also found a Robert Flett who I believe is the same Robert Flett (same birth and death info) but the marriage now is to Margaret Linay in 1853, in Bea, and they have FOUR children; James, b about 1654, Bea; Alexander b about 1656, Bea, Robert, b about 1658, Bea and William, b about 1660, Bea. All the children are there, and the Mrs Robert Flett could be Christine Harvey, and they both had 4 children each
   I also have a Robert Flett, born about 1600 in Bea, who married a Margaret Linay, born about 1618 in Bea. The marriage took place in 1639. His death date is 1681.
   Then I have another Flett, no first name, born about 1620, died November 1684, and he married a Cirsten Hay in 1643 in Harray, and they have 7 sons,  (no daughter mentioned) and the sons approx birth dates are; James 1644, Robert 1646, Alexander 1648, William 1650, John 1652, Thomas 1654 and Andro (sic) 1656. The order is almost the same but the dates are out by a few years, and maybe Cirsten Hay is a relation of Christine Harvey.
   Robert Flett, b about 1621, Bea, who died April 1666, married Elsabeth Flett  of Bea about 1646, and they had 3 children, one of whom was Cirstane, born about 1651. Another Cirstane?
But still there is more! A Robert Flett, born 1620 at Kirkwall, who died in September 1681, married a Margaret Voy in 1645 in Kirkwall, and they had 2 sons, Thomas, b 1647 and James b, 1649. A bit of a longbow here but once I found one lot of discrepancies, I couldn’t help myself!
So, should I accept what I was told by my seemingly very thorough Orcadian researcher? Maybe more has come to light since he sent me his research 20+ years ago. What else can I do to check this information? I am in Saudi Arabia and would like to find someone who would be prepared to do some research for me in the LDS or Orkney records. I have been unable to set up a Personal Ancestral File or I would continue with this research myself.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Sincerely
Jason Carpenter
Carpenter - Devon and Australia
Flett - Orkneys
Morrell - Antrim, France, Switzerland and Ballarat
Wilcher - Bermondsey and Birmingham
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with the Fletts of Bea in Harray
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi My Fletts were also in Harray and Kirkwall,
if you dont mind me asking who it was you who it was you got your reseach info from?
I would be intrested in comparing notes
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Prophetess
The lady was a local amateur who passed away 3 years ago. She was a very dedicated researcher and provided me with a lot of very good information. Maybe you could contact me on * and we could talk more
Regards
Jason

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Flett - Orkneys
Morrell - Antrim, France, Switzerland and Ballarat
Wilcher - Bermondsey and Birmingham
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline prophetess

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 13:41 BST (UK) »
no probs will be in touch
Sybil
ORKNEY
FLETT, CLOUSTON,  WHISHART, SCOTT, BRUCE,
ABERDEEN AREA:THOMSON, ROSIE, CHAFFEY, ALLAN,               
GLASGOW;STEWART,  SPENCE,  DOUGLAS, BLACK , KEAYS(KEYS), MITCHELL,    JOHNSTON,  FLETT,  ALLAN, CALLAGHAN, JENKS,FINLAY,SMELLIE,TYSON

MORAYSHIRE: ALLAN, INNES, MCPHAIL, MATHEWS, STEWART, MCKENZIE, MCLEAN, PLOWMAN, MASSON, 
IRELAND:DOUGLAS,BLACK,McAULAY,KEAYS,TWEED,MITCHELL,
 ENGLAND: JENKS, WALKER,BALDWIN, HURST,PHILLIPS, CHAFFEY, ROBERTSON, ALLAN;JOHNSON, AMEY,Corston,Race

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 10:40 GMT (UK) »
no probs will be in touch
Sybil
HI sybil
I still want to hear from you
Jason