Author Topic: name of ship if poss-  (Read 17591 times)

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: name of ship if poss-
« Reply #27 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
I can look up the BC death registration for Betsy Robertson Thomson and give you a transcription of the document if it's of any use to you.  It won't be for 2-3 weeks though as I'm hopelessly behind on my look-ups and I have a long list right now....isn't it annoying when life interferes with your hobby??!!

Susan

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 31 January 11 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

JJ & Susan...thank you for your kind offer for a look up please don't.  I found the death entry for Betsy Cruickshank and emailed cemetery, they kindly photographed her and husband James Thomson headstones for me.  After this we were able to find obits for their children and made contact with one of their grandsons.  On Saskatechewan war memorial site I found an entry for Norman William Thomson, this turns out to be Norman William Chads, William & Jean's son, who after their deaths went to stay with Betsy & James in Estevan and adopted the surmane Thomson.
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Lightbourn,Parker, Bermuda
Cornell, USA
McFarlane,Isle of Mull & Renfrewshire
Breslin,Glasgow & Ireland

Offline badger4523

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:37 GMT (UK) »
lindy ,maybe if you can contact me I may be able to help you on the Breslin line,I think your greatgrandfather was my grand fathers brother ,regards W Breslin .

Offline badger4523

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 February 11 14:37 GMT (UK) »
lindy ,maybe if you can contact me I may be able to help you on the Breslin line,I think your greatgrandfather was my grandfathers brother and they were twin brothers,also I have birth certificates dating 1869,regards W Breslin .

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 February 11 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Badger4523
Thanks for making contact, if you reply to this I'll be able to send you a personnel message with my email details...so for now I'll look out all I know re Breslin's.

Lindy-lou  :)
Cruickshank (Huntly/Gartly), Robertson (Kirriemuir), Mundie(y) (St fergus), Cheyne (St Fergus), McGregor (Perth), Thomson,  Rennie, Clark,Willox,  N/NE Scotland
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline mrsnoname2002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 24 September 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Sorry for missing previous link to 1911 census, I should have re-read thread before replying.
Jean (Jane) Cruickshank dob 26/6/1888, Gartly, Aberdeenshire, parents James Cruickshank & Janet Robertson (they were both born, married & died in Scotand)
No, I haven't been able to find Jean's marriage to William, on my grandmother's birth cert, she was born 1917, Aberdeen it says Jean & William married 17/3/1911, Winnipeg.
Lindy-lou :)

My Grandmother was born in Winnipeg in 1912 and her parents were Jean(nee Cruikshank) and William Chads. Her mother Jeannie travelled on a ship to Glasgow in late 1912 and from there went  onto Aberdeen where they set up a chain of sweet shops on the Aberdeen coastline. It is possible that my Grandmother and yours were sisters as my grandmother had a sister whom she lost contact with and a brother who she said went missing during the first world war. What was your Grandmother's name ?

Offline lindy-lou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
hi mrsnoname
thanks for getting in touch, this is exciting after years of researching, my grandmother name was Bessie, did your grandmother's name start with "E"?  can you make 2 more posts and i'll be able to send you a private message. really looking forward to hearing from you.

lindy-lou :) :)
Chads(worldwide)
Cornell, USA

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone! welcome, newcomers to rootschat! lindy-lou gets so much information trickling in bit by bit...

I never did find out where the Lone Tree, Man address was located but perhaps it was near Birtle, in Marquette Region of Manitoba where he now can be found in 1901 census as Chadd...labourer on the Sylvester farm.  http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=64647&highlight=45

legend has it that Birtle was actuall Birdtail but it eventually changed to the quick phonetic way it was pronounced. Older boys were often send to Canada to be trained as farm boys and some were sent to Manitoba. 

Just found that Charles Gandy and Horace Wm. Weldon were also Home children who are listed as residing in Lone Tree and in 1901 they are is Rossburn, Marguette, so we appear to have the right area http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=65005&highlight=44

The farm boys were sent to ( Barnardo's industrial farm) Russel Farm home, Marquette, Manitoba
http://genforum.genealogy.com/canada/manitoba/messages/1512.html

A newspaper clipping in 1902 has Wm G. Chads at a Wpg Hotel, and that he is from Rossburn
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mrsnoname2002

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 26 September 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
hi mrsnoname
thanks for getting in touch, this is exciting after years of researching, my grandmother name was Bessie, did your grandmother's name start with "E"?  can you make 2 more posts and i'll be able to send you a private message. really looking forward to hearing from you.

lindy-lou :) :)

Hello my Grandmother was called Evelyn or Eveline as recorded in the Ships log when she travelled with Jeanie to Scotland in 1912 from Canada. My Grandmother was 100 years old when she passed away on Sunday 23rd September 2012. It is indeed exciting if we could find out more about this as we could be related. Is your Grandmother still alive. I am not sure how this works but my email address is (*) and I would really love to hear from you.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php