Author Topic: GUESTs - Broseley  (Read 17721 times)

Offline janek1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GUESTs - Broseley
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 September 11 07:49 BST (UK) »
About the birth/parentage of John Guest who married Penelope Easthope:-
- In a family tree from 1820s his birth-date is given as 1/1/1698 son of John Guest (1671) & Mary, but doesnt make it clear who the father is of John (1671). (This could be John & Cecily Hartshorne)
- In a family tree from 1903 his baptism is unknown, but he is given as son of John Guest (bap 17/2/1679-80) & Mary Major (married at Bendall 1696), where John Guest is son of Richard Guest & Mary Parramore (marr 1674). Richard was bap 27/2/1647 at Linley, bur 1681 at Broseley. The disadvantage of this is that John (1679/80) is rather young to be marrying then.
- This is an alternative to various Internet genealogies which assume that he is John Guest baptised 1703/4 son of Charles Guest and Mary Davis.

The 1903 tree also has a different wife (Elizabeth Major) for Charles son of John Guest & Cecily Hartshorne. However I dont think they had found the 1703 marriage at Highley of Charles Guest and Mary Davis.

The 1903 tree also has Thomas (1667) son of John & Cecily as the father of Thomas (1694), rather than Thomas (1669). This fits with our family tradition that Penelope Firmstone née Guest (1738) married her cousin John Guest (1750) brother of Thomas (1748) - however that might just have been assumed later. The theory about Thomas (1669) certainly sounds plausible.

It would be useful to see the various Guest wills at Hereford record office - they might clear up some ambiguities.

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 03 September 11 08:16 BST (UK) »
I have an inventory of Richard Ghost (sic) of Broseley dated 1676. I believe this isn't an inventory following a death but one taken after his possesions were seized. The record was in the Much Wenlock Bailiffs Court files and taken by a Burgess and a sixman (my ancestor).

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 07 September 11 20:29 BST (UK) »

Some time ago, I was sent some photos of a Guest family tree, apparently drawn up in the 1820s (or thereabouts) which is great for confirming what I've already discovered,

In Thomas Beard's Diary it says that in 1829 he compiled a Guest family tree going back 200 years.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Katie Steele

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandparents Charles and Elizabeth Steele
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 16 November 18 14:17 GMT (UK) »
To add to this thread (7 years later)
I have just found my connection to the Guest family of Broseley.

I have for years struggled with my Harris family that originate from Birmingham, however this weekend I found a grave in Madeley which has revealed a fair few more names for my tree.

My connection is Fanny Guest bn 1771, Daughter of Alexander Guest bn 1741 to John and Penelope.
Fanny married John Harris, unfortunately my search on the Harris family stops again as he died 1820 in London and I can't find anymore information on him.
However the find at least allows me to discover Fanny's family.

;D
Steele - Wellington, Drayton in Hales, Woodseaves - Shropshire <br />Jones - Montgomeryshire (Llanidloes and Llangurig)<br />Ball - Dawley, Shropshire <br />Williams - Dawley<br />Ray/Rea/Reay - Dawley, Shropshire, Bromsgrove, Worcs <br />Evans - Dawley, Horsehay<br />Halford - Dawley, Broseley, More, Clun<br />Harris - Little Wenlock, Birmingham, Feckenham<br />Paterson - Aberdeen<br />Skinner - Aberdeen

Offline Buildingmytree

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 19 March 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have been researching my family tree (GUEST) for sometime now. However, the amazing efforts of my grandpa who did most of the leg work on behalf of my granny a direct descendant of Thomas Guest born 1694 Broseley Shropshire. Thomas Guest married to Sarah Mayer. Elder son John Guest 1722 (senior branch) (M) Anne Wilmore, and youngest son Robert Guest 1738 (my relative) junior branch. Both brothers were instrumental in the famous Dowlais ironworks Merthyr Tydfil (GKN)
My grandpa left me with a very detailed family tree that he created after writing to all the parish councils. So when I joined Ancestry.com it was quite easy to confirm his great efforts. I believe that John Guest the eldest son, my 7Th great uncle went on to have a prominent standing in society, and other family members went on to do very well also. His grandson marrying Lady Charlotte Bertie, daughter of the 9th earl of Lindsey. Quite incredible woman in her own right. Ref: The Mabinogion. John Guest's great grandson, Sir Ivor Bertie Guest married Lady Cornelia Spencer Churchill sister off Lord Randolf Churchill father of Winston Churchill.
John's brother Robert my direct descendant continued for the next several generations with the enterprising Dowlais ironworks, along with owning their own foundry... The Old Foundry, now part of Johnson's iron and steel. John and Robert guests grandfather was also known as Thomas Guest b1668 d1728 a yeoman farmer of Broseley Shropshire.
I believe that Thomas b1694 had the following children..
John, Elizabeth, Sarah, Mary, Thomas, Anne, Gertrude, William, Robert, and Jane. I think it's quite easy to follow John Guest b1722 family side because of the many articles, books and references relating relating to this side of the family.
If anyone can go back further than Thomas Guest b1668 died 1728 I would really appreciate the information. When I was a member of Ancestry.com I managed to go back to 1522 but it's always very difficult to know if you have the right Guest.