Author Topic: GUESTs - Broseley  (Read 17722 times)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
GUESTs - Broseley
« on: Monday 01 October 07 19:01 BST (UK) »
Having chased my GUEST family over to Suffolk, a chance discovery of a note in an 1820s newspaper revealed  that the father Ralph GUEST (1743-1830) originated in Broseley, Shropshire.

Anyone else got Shropshire and more specifically, Broseley, GUESTs in their trees?

I can see quite a few Guests born in Broseley on the IGI - all I have to do is make sense of them and see if they fit together.

My line is through Ralph GUEST (1743 - 1830), son of John GUEST and Penelope.  The IGI suggests John & Penelope had just five children, between 1739 and 1745.  Can't see John & Penelope's marriage (there is one, but it's in 1730, and 9 years seems a bit too long till the first child, wouldn't you say?)

Ralph moved to London (seems a remarkable step for those days!), and then to Bury St Edmunds, where he ended up as choirmaster and organist.  (One of his sons, George Guest - my gggg great-uncle - was also an organist, at Wisbech in Cambridgeshire.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GUESTs - Broseley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 07 23:26 BST (UK) »
John Guest (Guist) of Broseley baptised Sep 5 1715? Penelope Guest is buried in Broseley Baptist Chapel having died in 1788 aged 56 years hence a 1732 birth (and late baptism!!) Her son (John jnr) is also buried there having died aged 10.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 09:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter.  That John is a definite possibility, but it can't be that Penelope, as it would make her only 11 when my ggggg grandfather, Ralph Guest was born, and there are three children baptised before that (to parents John & Penelope Guest, according to the IGI).

Though a 1732 birth would fit with the John & Penelope marriage on the IGI in 1730.

The ones on the IGI (Batch: P011551) that seem to me to make up the family to which my Ralph Guest belongs are:

Penelope (1739)
John (1740)
Alexander (1741)
Ralph (1743)
Frances (1745)

Are there many Guests buried in Broseley?  Perhaps I need a day trip to go gravestone searching!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 17:30 BST (UK) »
Those two Guests were the only two burials I could find although St. Leonards / All Saints church in Broseley has no MIs recorded that I know of. Perhaps you had a baptist tradition of only baptising the children when they were old enough to decide for themselves? - I have come across this before. I also have several Broseley baptisms in my tree of children aged up to 6.
Earliest Broseley Guest in the PR is 1576. There are three wills at Hereford of Guests including George and Mary in the 1670s (collier and widow).
Peter

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 17:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Peter.

All interesting stuff!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 18:06 BST (UK) »
"Some well-known names appear in this list of Members. (Anti-Felons) The Guests are probably the most famous. They belonged to an old Broseley family, and for many years were prominent iron-makers and coal-owners. Randall mentions a John Guest who was born in Broseley in 1522, and had a son Andrew who was buried there in 1609. A branch of the family established itself in South Wales at Dowlais in the mid-18th century and laid the foundations of a great industrial firm, which developed into to-day’s G.K.N.
 Charles Guest was a trustee of the turnpike road running through Cuckoo Oak, where the principal tollhouse stood. He was a subscriber to the building of the Preens Eddy Bridge at Coalport; and he and John Guest also subscribed to the building of the Iron Bridge. John Guest “paid half the cost of the Birch Meadow Baptist Chapel, Broseley, in 1801”
From www.broseley.org.uk
There are 69 hits for guest if you do a search.

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:13 BST (UK) »
What a gem of a website!  Parish registers too!

Thanks Peter.

GKN.  It had never occurred to me that GKN stood for Guest, Keen & Nettlefold Ltd!

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
The parish registers are great but the transcription is not entirely accurate. (The odd missing entry). The index is good so make sure you work through all the entries from there. Also worth considering are the PRs for Benthall the adjoining village. Early Benthall events are also recorded in the Much Wenlock PR and there is the odd BT surviving at Hereford.

Steve, the webmaster, is worth contacting for specific Broseley enquiries and from the newsletters you can see what a good job he's doing.

Offline john2o2o

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 October 07 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Okay. John and Penelope were certainly the couple married in 1730 - their eldest children (Mary and Charles) were christened at Barrow which is the neighbouring parish to Broseley.

John was christened at Broseley in 1704 the eldest child of Charles and Mary (Davis married 1703) - their other children were baptised at Barrow.

Charles was christened in Broseley in 1669, son of John and Cicely.

I have no personal connection to this family, I have been researching the GKN Guests. I believe that Thomas Guest was born in 1748 the son of John Guest and his first wife Ann Willmore who were married in Barrow on 5 Feb 1747/8 (prob OS).

John, the founder was not christened in Broseley, but there is a John baptised in Barrow in 1722, which is the right date to Thomas and Sarah.

The IGI is a bit confusing on this Thomas, however and there are two names for his wife, Sarah. More to do.