Author Topic: Robert Cairns born 1855 Lisburn  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Brettc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Cairns born 1855 Lisburn
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 07 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary:

Rec'd Robert Cairns & Ellen Walker Marriage Copy yesterday.
Very pleased.

The script of the letters in this copy can be difficult to read.

Robert married Ellen May 6 1881 at the Cathedral (Church of Ireland) in the Parish of Lisburn in the Diocese of Cosmer (?)

His residence at time of marriage: Sloaee (?) St. Lisburn.
His profession Mechanic.
His father Alexander Cairns.
His Fathers profession Shoemaker (?).

Ellen Walker's her residence at time of marriage Sow Road.
                       her father (?)olm Walker.
                       his profession Labourer.

Witness' : John Cairns and Ellen Cowan.

If Alexander Cairns' wife and date of marriage could be found, I would send for his Marriage Certificate should it exist.

Any input I can offer just ask.
 Thank You
 Brett

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 May 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
I had a look into Joseph Barron Ferguson because I was trying to figure out if he was 'of' my Barron or Ferguson families.

As has already been mentioned, Annie Ferguson (nee Cairns) died in 1967 and was buried at Dundonald Cemetery.  It seems Joseph died on 2nd November 1968 aged 81 (see Belfast City Council burial records).

So I went searching for births in 1887 and found a possible one, Joseph Ferguson born 17th March 1887, mother's maiden name Barron, registered in Larne.

Kept digging and found this marriage notice, which I think might (may not) be Joseph's parents:

[Belfast Newsletter 4 Oct 1876]

FERGUSON-?..? [scribbled out] – October 3, at the Presbyterian Church, Kil?..? [probably Kilroot], Islandmagee, by the Rev. Robert Henry Shaw, Mr. William Ferguson, Islandmagee, to Miss Jenny Barron, Ballycarry.

That would mean not of 'my' family, so I'll just leave this here in case anyone is interested.

Offline AineG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Brett, I know this is a really old thread but I stumbled upon it by researching my own family tree.  I believe your Ellen Gorman is my great great Aunt on my father's side.  Her brother is George Gorman who is my great grandfather.  I think Ellen was listed as the daughter of Ellen Gorman and the late Charles Gorman on both the 1901 and 1911 census but on her birth certificate she is the daughter of Sarah Gorman.  I'm assuming she was born outside of marriage and was raised as her mothers sister.
The Gorman's came from County Down and were all weavers by trade, but George Gorman worked on the boats as the docks of Belfast become a major industry, and my grandfather followed him into that.
Anyway, I hope you and your family are well.

Offline Brettc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 July 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello AineG
Thanks for your reply.
Should wish any info I have re:Ellen,feel free to inquire.
Brett