Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 76663 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 11 October 07 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello again Lu,

It's getting more and more exciting  :)

I'd go for the 1 male being Thomas - his age/date of birth on his marriage cert and his mother's death cert are surely more reliable than that given on his own death cert when he died at an advanced age.  Who were the informants of the deaths of (a) Annie MORININI, and (b) Thomas RICHINGS?  Any clues there?  Any clues on Thomas's marriage cert?

Someone else might find Amelia still in Oz - I did try on the CDs I have available to me but found nothing.  I take it you've tried to follow up Amelia in NZ.

The location of 'SAND' is how it appears in the Vic BDM Index.  I try not to make assumptions because the abbreviations in the Vic BDM Index are not standard at all - it's a real problem >:(  So SAND might well be Sandhurst (early name for Bendigo) as Jenn suggests as a possibility.  But, then again, SAND might be Sandridge (early name for Port Melbourne).  Or somewhere else altogether  :(   

IF the years in NZ entry is correct, this suggests that Annie moved first and Alexander was chasing after her or coming to join her?  As I read the 'General Grant' 1866 story, destinations of passengers weren't stated??  The final destination of the ship was London but there might well have been passengers with intermediate destinations such as NZ?

Lu, it is great to be on a thread where the original poster (you!!) does so much work and finds out so much as things move on!

Best of luck for further finds,

JAP

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 11 October 07 12:28 BST (UK) »
Passenger Lists for Auckland, Manakau & Kaipara Harbours..

http://www.angelfire.com/az/nzgenweb/otherAuck.html
sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello  there  Lu

What  about a  check  of the Christcurch  newspaper  for  Annie MORININI  funeral  notice. death notice/ obituary. 

If there is a  notice  of any  sort  it may  give  you  information  on  the family.

A look  at  the cemetery  where  she  is buried  to see if  there is a headstone  and  what  the inscription  might be  could also  reveal  further  information.

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 12 October 07 05:55 BST (UK) »
Birth
Jane Elizabeth HEASMAN, September quarter 1838, Poplar, Volume 2, Page 286

Baptisms
Both on 12 April 1840 at St Dunstan's Stepney, parents William HEUSMAN (sic) & Jane Elizabeth
*Jane Elizabeth HEUSMAN
*Ann Amelia HEUSMAN

I guess that the family might be able to be found in the 1841 census (held 6 June 1841)?
The Alexander arrived (from London and Plymouth) on 27 Dec 1841.

Cheers,

JAP

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 13 October 07 03:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn    :)

Thanks for your posts #'s 26 & 29.    Thought "SAND" might just give me a clue as to whether Mr MORININI was in gold-field territory ?

Yes, the newspapers are the next obvious move, aren't they   ..... unfortunately, here in Wellington, I only have access to papers up until around 1915 .... but have posted a "look-up for Christchurch"    ..... fingers crossed.

ZILCH result on cemetery transcriptions too.

Kind regards

Lu      :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 13 October 07 05:32 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP     :)

Thanks, (your post #27)  .... unfortunately, no clues -  death informant for Annie was (third party) funeral director (as seems to be the case on so many NZ certs).   Death cert. for Thomas (1958) I don't have - but unlikely to be of help if rest of family have pre-deceased him - (and his only remaining child - Rachel - died 1961).    Marriage witnesses for Thomas were - "Lily RICHINGS and a "John WILLIAMS, Labourer of Opawa, Christchurch" :   for Lily's marriage, witnesses were "Margaret RICHINGS (this was wife of Thomas, they divorced in 1911), and an "Albert NICHOLLS, watchmaker", both of Christchurch.   But, yes, witnesses are always worth "checking out".

Just a question  ... (hopeful you may have encountered this before) ?  ....  and it applies to divorce records particularly ... affidavits / declarations, where someone has sworn, "I am informed and believe I was born at .... blah, blah, blah ."
An indication perhaps, that they're unable to produce their birth certificate ?    (This appears on divorce record for Thomas RICHINGS).

Amelia MORININI (b. SAND - 1864) ~ alas, NO record of her death in NZ index (1864 - 1932 searched):     Thanks for the explanation re: "SAND" ... hadn't realised this was the former name of Bendigo ....  mmm ... I was thinking Mr MORININI, gold prospector ?

Yes, you're most likely right with the scenario of Mr. M. following Annie to NZ .... and (silly me), yes, the route was easterly, around the tail end of NZ , with a probable stopover there.    I wondered why I'd mentioned "Mr. M. "skyvving off to London" (naughty ... I'm always jumping the gun) !   However,  re-visiting the passenger list for the "G/Grant" at PRO-VIC turned up something of interest.
Now the "G/Grant" reportedly had around 89 passengers (and crew) aboard ?     PRO-VIC lists approx. 156 souls ?
There appears to be duplications of a great many of the passengers names - e.g.  an initial entry, followed by another, to which "age and destination" have been added?
ODD ?       As well as the "MORININI,  A. and MORININI, Mr. Emile", there is also a listing for "MOURINI, A. (25) (2 actually - one appears on next page)  and MOURINI, Emile, aged 1 - destination, London"  ???      Same people ?   I'm probably reading way too much into this,  ....  "Emile" (yes, a boys' name),  BUT ... Emile ("Em-eel") aged 1,  and Amelia ("Emelia" ?) b. 1864 (and in May 1866, might not have yet reached her 2nd birthday) ?      Had Mr. M., per chance, been left holding the baby   ???

[I ain't thinking too charitably, at present,  in terms of Annie ~ she's caused me too many sleepness nights] !

Anymore thoughts most welcome.
Thanks again

Kind regards

Lu      :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 13 October 07 05:33 BST (UK) »
Lu,

It's unfortunate (maddening, frustrating, infuriating?) that there are no standard abbreviations for districts in Victoria ...

The Gazetteer with the Vic CDs includes - at least - the following districts, all of which might variously be abbreviated as SAND (or, of course, some other abbreviation!):
Sandford, Sandhurst, Sandon, Sandpatch Island, Sandridge, Sandstone Island, Sandy Creek (several places), Sandy Creek Diggings, Sandy Desert, Sandy Point.

If you download the 1862 marriage cert from the Vic BDM, it should at least show where Alexander & Annie were married (place of marriage is not indexed).  And would have lots of other information.

And the 1864 birth cert of their daughter Amelia (indexed as SAND) should reveal where this SAND actually was.

Postal Directories for Vic for those years (and earlier and later) might also reveal where the MORONINIs (spelling?) were, which MORONINIs (a rare name in Vic) were around, and when - don't know whether these are available in NZ but most state libraries (and some genie soc libraries) in Australia have them.  If anyone happens to be where they are, it would be good if they could do a lookup.

Just for completeness, have you asked here on RC for an 1841 England census lookup for the HEASMANs/HAISMANs/HEUSMANs!

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 13 October 07 05:34 BST (UK) »
Lu,

I went to post my effort above - and saw that you'd posted.

Decided to go ahead and post (might have lost it otherwise)  ::)  I'll now read what you've posted  ;D

Cheers,

JAP

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 13 October 07 05:44 BST (UK) »
Hello  there Lu

the  1841  census  says  living at Galley  Pot?
Hartfield Sussex England  district of  registation Eastborn

Ann Heasam 3
Eliza Heasman 25
Eliza Heasamn 6
William  Heasman 25   agric labourer
all born  in County

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au