Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 78000 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 13 October 07 05:55 BST (UK) »
Well Lu!

That's fascinating about the MOURINIs on the 'General Grant'.

My Vic searches were basically for M*R*NI - and I found no likely records (plenty of MARTINI etc, etc) apart from the 1862 marriage and the 1864 birth of Amelia.  MOURINI (none in Vic) Emile (esp if Mr M had a strong accent) aged 1 sounds very likely.

Incidentally, I also tried all the Emile M*s ...

Sorry, no, I've not encountered sworn statements about birth.  And my lot wouldn't have bothered to divorce!  Actually, on second thoughts, a Great-Aunt did divorce in Vic - but her second marriage was to a bigamist  ::)
But, yes, it does sound very much as though Thomas couldn't produce a birth cert (and likely that he didn't know under which name he'd been recorded?).

Sometimes Funeral Directors retain (or deposit in Archives) their records - worth a query.

And further searches for Christchurch newspapers just might reveal something.

Obviously I'm happy to spend your money  :o on downloading Vic certs - but you never know just what you might find!

All the best,

JAP

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 October 07 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again JAP  

Many thanks for births / baptisms for HEUSMAN (sic) at Saint Dunstans.

Well  ....  the "Ann Amelia"  looks mighty interesting ?
Mmm .... it's a "Mary Ann - aged 1" HAISMAN listed on  "Alexander" 1841 along with Jane (22), William (25) and Jane (3) ?

Was there an earlier "Ann Amelia" - a babe who perhaps died before the voyage  ... I wonder ?

[I'm posting a UK  1841 look-up, this minute] !

So MANY twists and turns ....  oh, JAP .....   do feel free to opt out if all this intrigue is "getting to you" .... (frankly, it's driving me BONKERS ] !  

Really, it's so nice to be able to call on your expertise and to have someone to bounce ideas off.     Your help is much appreciated.

Have just spotted your incoming message  ...  will get back shortly.

Bye for now

Lu    :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 13 October 07 06:25 BST (UK) »
Lu,

I'd tend to think that the first Ann Amelia didn't survive.  And it's so interesting that they had another Ann Amelia and then an Amelia; Amelia is surely a family name.

Tropicalj's 1841 census info is interesting.  There's a Mary Ann HEASMAN b Brighton (Sussex!), Mar quarter 1839, Volume 7, Page 228.  Who knows!!

I do feel sure (famous last words!) that you'll sort out this puzzle (I do like puzzles!).  If only you can find Blenheim NZ births and also Blenheim directories ...

Not to mention Christchurch newspaper info about Annie.

Cheers,

JAP
PS: On a lighter note.  I'm told that the NZ-born brothers of my Gran built a 'ship' (raft) on which to sail back to NZ ca 1890.  The brave little boys launched it into the water and set sail.  There was just one problem!  They had launched it into the (fortunately very shallow) Albert Park Lake in Melbourne - not the sea!

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 13 October 07 06:35 BST (UK) »
Hello  there Lu

on  the  Christchurch Cemetery Data Base

did you  also  note  the  three Richings burial  details -  one  for John  Richings  butcher?  Also  a  number of Heasman's!

http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/Cemeteries/

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 14 October 07 01:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn    :)

Many thanks for trying 1841 census.     I'm rather spoilt for choice ~ have just received following from UK -

HEAMAN (sic)    (Grrr  .... another mis-spelling)
   -  William (24) turner J. (journeyman turner ?)
   -  Jane (22)  and  Jane (2), born Middlesex
(Wm. and Jane, the parents, NOT born Middlesex)
1841 -   St. Anne - Limehouse - Middlesex :
Occupation for Wm. and their ages (matching those on passenger list), would I think, steer me towards this one.

Your Sussex link though was helpful ~ there seems to be an awful lot of HEASMANS (and AYLMORES) in that area.

RE:   Christchurch Cemeteries Database :
Yes, thanks, I have "good info" on the RICHINGS people ~ two of whom, connect to Thomas (junior).
"John RICHINGS - butcher"  -   I have him "waiting in the wings" ... and will post an explanation about him shortly.
As to the HEASMANS, yes, I've checked them out too and even in the light of the newly-found "Aussie" HEASMANS, they appear not to be related (well, at this stage anyway).

Appreciate your help ~ thanks again

Kind regards

Lu    :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 14 October 07 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP    :)

Many thanks for your reply # 33 ~ and for ALL that most helpful information.

VIC postal directories - yes, will check those out, they're possibly available in our National Library here.    Funeral directors / burial books -  will also endeavour to check.

Thanks for the offer to download VIC certs.   I may get back to you later for those.

Have just posted to "tropicalj" (Jenn) ~ see #40 - re: 1841 census.   Looks to be them ?      No "Amelia Ann" ?  (I'm guessing she may have been their firstborn - 1836-7) ?   
Yes, the "Amelia" thread running through this family, is interesting and hopefully will lead back to something.
Thanks again.

Kind regards

Lu

[ PS:     Loved your family story (and the earlier ones)
....   those two wee boys 'n a boat, heading to NZ ... so cute!]

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 14 October 07 04:16 BST (UK) »
That Middlesex 1841 census entry sounds right.  Though the absence of a child younger than Jane is a bit of a puzzle.  It would really be good to see the microfiche; perhaps Mary Ann was 1 month old rather than 1 year and, in the panic of emigrating, wasn't registered (though the variable spellings of HEASMAN might just mean that we haven't picked her up).

As neither William nor Jane was born in Middlesex, might this be Jane:
Jane Elizth AYLMORE, parents Josiah and Ann, bap 5 Aug 1818, Saint Thomas, Portsmouth, Hampshire.
Josiah and Ann had (at least):
Jane Elizth. AYLMORE, bap 5 Aug 1818, St Thomas, Portsmouth
Amelia AYLMORE, bap 2 Sep 1821, St Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire
Thomas Reeves AYLMORE, bap 10 Feb 1823, St John's, Portsea

Sorry for the misunderstanding Lu, I wasn't offering to spend my money  :-[ - just happily suggesting that you download more certs i.e. that you spend more of your money!  ::)

The 1836 OPR marriage entry for William & Jane just might have some more clues - but, of course, might have nothing more than is in the IGI.

Cheers,

JAP

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 14 October 07 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenn   and   JAP   :)

As discovered by Jenn, on the Christchurch Cemeteries Database, there "lurks",  a John RICHINGS ... (and he was "a butcher", to boot) !

I have a probate record for this "John" - he died (intestate) at Christchurch, 1898 - with 9 pence in the bank, 20 pounds owed him, a few sticks of furniture, a horse, some sheep and some skins!    More "tragically", he met his demise in a ghastly accident - something to do with a horse and cart?    The filmed version of the inquest record, is of such poor quality, it is impossible to read !    From a hospital file, I discovered  "John" was a native of Gloucester(shire), aged 59, a cattle hawker of (suburban) Addington, with ...  no next-of-kin !

BUT, two marriage certs and a death cert, tell me it is a "Thomas RICHINGS" I should be searching for.   
It may of course be, that "John" is "Thomas", OR that "Thomas" is "John"  ???
It would though,  don't you think, have been remiss of me, to have never gone in search of "Thomas" ?

Have just found after all, that I can access the old newspapers at National Library here  ... and I'm headed in that direction right now!    Hopeful of some new clues.
Will get back a.s.a.p. !

Lu        :)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 15 October 07 03:30 BST (UK) »
Lu, Good luck with the newspapers!

I was thinking about Jane Elizabeth AYLMORE and the possible IGI record for a Jane Elizth., bap 1818 in Portsmouth, daughter of Josiah AYLMORE & Ann with siblings Amelia (1821, Portsea) and Thomas Reeves (1823, Portsea).

I wonder whether Josiah & Ann might appear in the 1841 census?

Thomas's middle name of Reeves is interesting.

The following site:
http://www.medows.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/genealogy/WC02/WC02_172.htm
mentions two AYLMORE-REEVES marriages.

One is Josiah AYLMORE (bap 1731, d 1786) m Frances REEVES  (bap 1736, d 1807) in 1755 in West Wittering, Sussex (a place where there are many AYLMOREs).  The marriage is in the IGI.

They had a son Josiah bap 1763 (Josia AYLMERE in the IGI) but there is no further information about him.  It's tempting to wonder whether he might be the father or grandfather of Jane Elizabeth ...

But it might all be a red herring ...

JAP
PS: Found a website with further info about 'Josia AYLMERE' bap 1763 at:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=afulsang&id=I00895
It has this Josiah marrying a Sarah LEMAN in 1796 and having children including a Josiah in 1799 (family is in the IGI).  That makes him a bit young (though not impossibly so) to be the father of Jane Elizabeth.