Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 77951 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #414 on: Sunday 20 January 08 02:45 GMT (UK) »
Great work Annie   ... and many thanks    :)

"So what became of Amelia" ?

[Hmmm ... I think I know    ;)    ... but you tell the story please ]    :)

Offline wjeffrey76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: Sunday 20 January 08 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi All...

Thanks Lu for your email today. It sparked my interest and helped me find this website! I've been sitting here for the past hour pouring over all of your posts regarding the HEASMANs and I wanted to weigh in on the discussion with what I have;

Better introduce myself first though; my name is Winston, I live in Sydney and I've been doing my family history for a couple of years now. I'm a young family historian (31 years old), married with three young children.

I have an Amelia HEASMAN in my tree that has proven to be a road-block for me too! Amelia is my G-G-Grandmother on my fathers side.

There is a possibility that our Amelia's are one in the same.

Here is the information that I have, and I would be interested to hear your thoughts:

Amelia HEASMAN born about 1851. Some family stories say she was born in the UK, some say Sydney, and others say in VIC. I have always had recorded that Amelia's parents were; Herman HEASMAN & Amelia //. But I have never found any documented proof to tell me where I got that info from, and I can't remember who told me that these were their names. I have asked all the relatives that could know and none are certain.

I have the following certificates:

Marriage certificate between Peter DEHON (Brewer / Bachelor) & Amelia HEASMAN (Full Age / Spinster), 20 May 1873. Ross, Westland, New Zealand. Witnesses; Ada Harris, Sarah & Alice Colquhoun.

Birth certificate of my G-Grandmather, Katherine DEHON, born 5 Oct 1881, in Hokitika NZ, father; Peter DEHON (Brewer / 36 yrs / Born Antwerp), mother; Amelia DEHON formerly HEASMAN (30 yrs / Born Sydney, AUS)

Marriage Certificate between Amelia Nesiah? DEHON (Widow / Birthplace Hampshire, ENG / Dressmaker / 39 yrs old / Parents; William HEASMAN (Musician) & Jane Elizabeth HAYLMORE - Deceased), and Simeon RIDINGS (Woodturner / 36 yrs old / Parents; Simeon RIDING (Cotton Warper) - Deceased & Elizabeth Allwright?). Interestingly the witnesses on this certificate are Lilly BRADLEY, and Emily CLARK.

Death certificate for Amelia RIDING 31st Jul 1934, Mascot NSW. Shows the following information:

Age 75 yrs old, Parents William EASMAN - Labourer & Annie HAILMORE. Buried in the Church of England Section Botany Cemetery.

Born England, 20 year in Victoria, 45 years in NSW.

Place of marriage age, and to whom: (1) Peter DEHON, 20 yrs old, Ross Town NZ. (2)Samuel RIDING, 40 yrs old, Sydney NSW.

Children of Marriage:
1st marriage, Amelia 54, Louis 50, Katherine 49, John 46, 1 male deceased.
2nd marriage, No issue.

This certificate shows prooves that my Amelia HEASMAN's parents were definately William HEASMAN & Jane Elizabeth HAYLMORE, not Herman & Amelia as I have previously recorded.

Lu told me about a certificate which I have, but that I had previously disregarded as not being my Amelia. There is a marriage in VIC,  20 Sep 1971 between James BRADLEY Widower 1865, 5 living children & Amelia HEASMAN birthplace Melbourne VIC. It says she is a dressmaker which matches with other documents I have, but sadly doesn't give any further details to confirm that this Amelia is mine.

Is it possible that Amelia HEASMAN married in 1871, the marriage didn't turn out for one reason or another, and Amelia moved over to Hokitika NZ where she married Peter DEHON in 1873? She could have lied about being a spinster when she married Peter (wouldn't be the first time!). Peter DEHON died in 1888 Hokitika NZ, and Amelia at some time between 1888 & 1897 moved to Sydney AUS where she married Simeon RIDING.

If this rings true for you as well I have alot of the descendants of Amelia HEASMAN to Peter DEHON that I would love to share.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

Cheers
Winston

Foggo
Reid
Dehon
Heasman
Giuffre
Russell
Cable
Brindley
Burn
Turner

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Sunday 20 January 08 05:51 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Roots chat  Winston

what a  wonderfull  tale  this  is.

How  very  interesting  yet another  twist  in  the tale  and  yet another Heasman  lassie  taking  of  to  New Zealand to  avoid a  husband  or three!!!

These ladies  never  let  the truth  stand  in  the way  of another husband.

I  haven't been  able  to  submit  much  to  this  search  lately, AnnieCaroline  has  done so  much  wonderful  work  in Sydney  to  keep  this  tale tripping along.

The wonderfull  tale of  the Caldwell line  as  told  by  Aumarie  gave me  goosebumps,  what are  the  odds  of that  happening.  To  me it  did seem  like fate stepped in.

I  will  have a  look at  the  Electorall  Rolls and see what  is to be found.

kind regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: Sunday 20 January 08 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat Winston.

You have just proved beyond any doubt that your Amelia Heasman is the missing daughter of  William and Jane Elizabeth Heasman!

We are all thrilled to have the answer to this little mystery.

Annie

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: Monday 21 January 08 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Winston     :)

Yes, welcome to RootsChat, and especially  .... welcome to "Clan" HEASMAN  !

Thank you for sharing all your great information here.

A remarkable story of our g-g-Grans, but only made possible by all the wonderful, dedicated, generous contributors to this thread - to whom we owe so much gratitude.

Surprisingly, Amelia DEHON, only became a factor in this search, late on Friday.   Whilst looking up some ITM notices for another RootsChatter, I decided this 1873 DEHON marriage, was worth investigating (despite our Amelia having married a James Bradley in 1871).

That the ITM revealed Amelia had lived in Hokitika for just 5 months, aroused suspicion - it seemed so very probable that like her sisters Mary Ann (Marion) and Annie, before her, she had jumped on a boat to New Zealand, leaving a husband in her wake!      An excited exchange of emails with "annecaroline" (Annie), ensued.   

SO MUCH credit is due to Annie though ~ her findings were just brilliant, and her further generosity in obtaining certificates, was so appreciated.
DEAR ANNIE  .... ENORMOUS THANKS !    :)

Have sourced quite a lot of information on Amelia during her time in NZ ... will post some here shortly.   And Winston, I'll send you some additional links you might like to explore further.

I think the bottom of Sydney Harbour is the likely resting place of our William HEASMAN ?     But the search goes on to "find" Jane Elizabeth (HEASMAN) ANDERSON.   (Did she too go to NZ ?   .... now checking) !

Lu

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: Monday 21 January 08 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Winston-
Can I ask when Amelia married Mr Riding did the certificate state Amelia's address at the time?

Annie

Offline wjeffrey76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: Monday 21 January 08 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much guys for welcoming me to your thread!

Annie

The usual place of residence only says Sydney, NSW. The certificate does say that they were married at 16 Mary St, Newtown According to rites of the Independent Baptist Church, but I'm not sure if this is the church address.

Simeon RIDING's death in 1924 has his residence as King St, Mascot

Amelia RIDING's death in 1934 has her living at 16 Macintosh St, Mascot

When I get my scanner working I'll post up the certificates I have for you to view.

Cheers
Winston
Foggo
Reid
Dehon
Heasman
Giuffre
Russell
Cable
Brindley
Burn
Turner

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again All

DEHON   ....    New Zealand Births (all registered at Hokitika)

>    Amelia *
>    Peter            3rd quarter - Folio # 2437
(They share the same registration number?    Annie has also discovered a NSW birth - 1877 - for Amelia DEHON - parents Peter and Amelia ??)

>     William    -  # 481 - 1st quarter

>     Louis  -  #  2765  -  3rd quarter

>     Katherine  -  #  3774  -  4th quarter

>     Philip  -  # 2759  -  3rd quarter
DEATH for Philip > >   1884 - # 257 -  1st  quarter

>     John  -  #1697  -  2nd quarter

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Tuesday 22 January 08 03:24 GMT (UK) »
THE LIFE AND TIMES of
             ...    Peter DEHON  and  Amelia HEASMAN

Married - 20 May 1873 at Ross (South of Hokitika), Westland, New Zealand.

[The following info has been sourced from articles appearing in the "West Coast Times" at PapersPast] :

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/

>    9 June 1876 - "Inquest on the late fire at Ross"
~  fire at brewery at Ross ... mentions "DEHAN" (DEHON ?)
..."has not been at brewery for six months" :

>    8 June 1881 - p.2 -  "Hokitika Licensing Court"
~  .... "the Bridge Hotel is, at present, licensed to Peter DEHON, but is altogether out of repair".  (J. Peake appears to be owner of Bridge Hotel - since 1871 - a Herrmann Myer takes over license in September 1881.   Other articles refer to DEHON's Hotel, at Gibsons Quay, Hokitika) :

>    9 February 1887 - "Resident Magistrates Court"
~  P. Cran  v.  DEHON  - claim for L 6-14-0 :

>    19 September 1888 - various death notices for Peter DEHON :

>    29 June 1889  -  "Charitable Aid Commisssion"
~  .... "I knew Peter DEHON, the brewer.  He was in the hospital.   He was actively engaged up to the time of his admission, at brewing, at Hokitika.   He owes L 6-10-0 ...  paid L 1-0-0 ...  and I don't know whether any steps have been taken to recover.   I don't believe his widow is able to pay it".   :

>    25 November 1892 - p.2
~  a reference here to Louis George DEHON, aged 12.  (See following post) :

>    15 February 1893 - p.2 - "Fire at Cottage"
~  Mrs. DEHON's cottage at Sale Street, catches fire.  Cottage is insured for L 50-0-0 :

>    27 July 1893 - p3 - "Auctioneers Notice"
~  ... "under instructions from Mrs A. DEHON, will sell the premises at Sale Street - Section 908 on which is erected a six-roomed house;  brick chimneys, tanks etc.  This property is most centrally situated and is for positive sale.  Title perfect".  :

>    5 July 1894 - p. 2 - "Post Office Notice"
"Letters from beyond New Zealand, await ... Mrs DEHON :

[Winston - quite a lot more to be had for DEHON - will PM you some further references]
Lu     :)