Author Topic: wills/probate - Harris,Ironbridge  (Read 961 times)

Offline sharmar

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Woodvine
    • View Profile
wills/probate - Harris,Ironbridge
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Help!!!!!  My great grandfather Samuel Harris born 1873  in Ironbridge, Shropshire is listed on census's amongst other things as a broker.  We know he owned a large amount of properties in Ironbridge to include a row called 'The Lloyds' (that is no longer there), the house he lived in also the ajoining property and many more. My problem is that when in died in 1937(?) did he leave a will and what happended to it all?  I really am not sure where to look.  My father (who is now in his 70's) remembers being told that Samuel sold a row before he died to a brother of his but what happened to the rest he doesn't know.  What I would like to know is did he own them all at the same time, did he buy and sell? Any help would be appreciated, by the way none of these properties remain in the family so I have no way of checking any deeds.

Many thanks
Harris(Madeley), Harris(Ironbridge) Woodvine (Dawley & anywhere else), Britton (Broseley), Hoof (Wombridge, Dawley, Shifnal), Perry (Dawley & Wellington, Deakin (Wellington), Humphries (Wombridge & Dawley), Underwood (Hinkshay) Davies (Grinshall area), Buckley (Madeley) Hamphlett (various spellings Madeley).

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: wills/probate - Harris,Ironbridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharmar, if you haven't already you should get in touch with the Ironbridge Gorge Museum, they have a very extensive archive.
The Lloyds is an area between Ironbridge and Coalport, there aren't many buildings left there, most have fallen into old mine workings and  they are currently stabilising the ground.
In the 20s there was a huge auction of most of the Madeley Wood area including much of the Lloyds, the catalogue is online, you should check it out
http://www.localhistory.madeley.org.uk/buildings/anstice/anauct4.html
Wiltshire: Cainey, Summers, Payne
Somerset:Wallis,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.