Author Topic: Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe and Eastwood family of Mayfield  (Read 32745 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe and Eastwood family of Mayfield
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi gang

I've recently had communication with a distant cousin re my Vigor/Vigar family.  We have some discrepanices that we are trying to work through and one of them is that this cousin has an extra generation in the tree.

She has a John Vigar born to John and Elizabeth in 1713 in Balcombe.  I have hunted through familyhistoryonline and Hugh Wallis and LDS and cannot find him. 

I cannot find a marriage for him either.  He supposedly married Elizabeth Stedman but I have that his supposed father John Vigar b 1683 West Hoathly married her in 1730.

Would anyone be able to check the Balcome PRs and just see if he exists and whether there is a marriage of a John and Elizabeth before 1713.

I'm not convinced because if he is the John who married Elizabeth Stedman in 1730 he was 17 when he married and she was 14.  Possible I know but hasn't happened yet in my tree!

Thank you

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 07 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
Well, these are some marriages within the right time-frame.  Interstingly the second one says John senior, implying there was a 'younger' in the parish.

This is the only other one of a John to an Elizabeth.

Archdeaconry of Lewes Marriage Licence,   26 Jan 1691/2:
 John VIGAR, Nindfield
 Elizabeth LONGLY, wid Hoo
Extra Information: SRS 6

Lewes All Saints, East Sussex,  26 Jan 1691/2:
 John VIGAR, Ninfield
Elizabeth LONGLEY, Hooe  (lic)

Ninfield, East Sussex,   28 Aug 1710:
 John VIGER, senr.
 Jane SCRIFENS

Ninfield, East Sussex,   11 May 1714:
 John VIGER
 Joan BLACKMAN, (lic)
Extra Information: at Dallington

Place: Hamsey, East Sussex,   9 Jun 1730:
 John VIGOR, Balcombe
 Elizabeth STEDMAN, otsp  (lic)

Hamsey, East Sussex,   27 Apr 1756:
 John VIGOR, Hellingly
 Mary HASTING, otp  (B)

You could try OPC for the Balcombe look-up  http://www.sussex-opc.org/

jane

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 07 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks for that, I didn't think of trying the OPC - doh!

I'm pretty sure the Ninfield one is another branch of the family on the same tree, they are becoming a nightmare these Vigars, there seems to be hundreds of them. 

This family that starts off in Dallington Sussex ends up some 14 generations later in my gran in Surrey.  But guess what another branch of the family I can trace from Dallington to Burwash where he marries into the Eastwood family, a sibling Eastwood marries a Pilbeam and a couple of generations later my grandad was born.

Boy is my family complicated!!!!!  ::)

Right I'll go and have a look at the OPC

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 07 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi KerryB

My mother in laws maiden name is Eastwood and my wife has done considerable research into that surname.

But our Eastwoods are in Horbury, West Riding of Yorkshire and then some of them went into Leicestershire - but as yet, we have not made any connection to the South of England Eastwoods

I would presume yours are South of England Eastwoods?

Chris in 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 07 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi KerryB

My mother in laws maiden name is Eastwood and my wife has done considerable research into that surname.

But our Eastwoods are in Horbury, West Riding of Yorkshire and then some of them went into Leicestershire - but as yet, we have not made any connection to the South of England Eastwoods

I would presume yours are South of England Eastwoods?

Chris in 1066

Darn it!  wouldn't you know it.  I'm chasing an elusive Eastwood too, namely Susannah Eastwood born about 1750 married my Thomas Nailard in Mayfield 04/06/1771 later living in Heathfield. According to SMI she was the daughter of John Eastwood.

Kerry, if you have her among your lot I'd love to know  ;D

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 October 07 07:55 BST (UK) »
Chris and Suey

My Eastwoods seemed to have stayed in Burwash and the surrounds in Sussex.  Not sure where they came from further back, they are a new name to start researching for me.  My great x 4 grandfather married a Hannah Eastwood and as I found a link with the Vigar family which is my gran's family I thought I would start having a look. 

I thought I might find links between my maternal grandfather's Sussex family and my paternal grandmother's Sussex family not my maternal grandmother's Surrey family  ::) ::) ::)

Anyway I'm at work today but tonight I'll have a look and get back to you Suey.  John Eastwood is ringing loud bells with me!!

BTW for anyone else no OPC for Balcombe :-\

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 October 07 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi again Suey

No Susannah on the tree I have.  The earliest Eastwood I have found was John Eastwood born 1679, married Ann Piper 1704 at Mayfield and died 1743 in Mayfield.  His son William was born 1714 in Mayfield but moved to Burwash.  He married Anne Monk in 1739 in Burwash. 

I wonder if your John was a brother of William?

Kerry

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 07 20:01 BST (UK) »

Hi Kerry, Yes that is the line I've been trying to follow - I have John bap 12th August 1706, died 1800 Mayfield as a possible brother to William.

This John married Katherine Pearl 1726 Mayfield so too early I think to be Susanna's parents but they may have had a son John

There is a John Eastwood marrying Elizabeth Pet (of Mayfield by lic) at Withyham...21st May 1739.  Only about 6 miles from Mayfield as the crow flies.

I have found several Eastwood researchers but none have seen Susanna or another John in the right time frame  ??? ho hum another one on the to do pile :).

Suey

All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 07 22:06 BST (UK) »
Suey

I'll keep Susanna in mind when I seriously get round to looking at the Eastwoods.  I'm planning a trip to ESRO in the very near future if I can around to it.

Kerry