Author Topic: Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe and Eastwood family of Mayfield  (Read 32593 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Vigar born 1713 Balcombe
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 September 10 17:03 BST (UK) »
Now this might be a complete red herring and I need to look into it a bit more but looking at the SFHG baptisms there are two men a William and a John who marry in Billingshurst 1678 and 1681 called Easted, William has 4 children and John a son called John baptised in 1684.  I can find no other records for any of them so far except the two marriages and the baptisms, no further records in Billingshurst and no burials.

Did they move to Mayfield?  Did they become Eastwood?  Is there a link between billingshurst and Mayfield?  Interestingly enough a number of other Mayfield surnames - Weston, Dunk and Piper kept cropping up too.  Hmmmm

As I said it could be a complete red herring but if I do a search on John Eastwood and variants between 1660 and 1700 this John baptised 1684 is the only one to come up.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Billingham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 September 10 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kerry.

There were Eastwoods connected to the Etchingham/Burwash Eastwoods who came from Ninfield.  Also I have William Eastwood's (1714) brothers and sisters if that helps with anything.  They are John, born 1706, Sarah, born 1709, Jane, born 1710, Thomas, born 1712, then William, and lastly James born 1718.  I don't know of any other children at the moment.  I have further details of John, Jane and James but need to dig the facts up from my paperwork!

Yes, you are right about the hot match thing.  I had some queer stuff come up at times. ::) ::)

I also have Pilbeams, Westons, Humphreys, and others on our tree.  I am going to have a look at the "Sussexweald" website again as that has many ancestors listed.  I presume you know about that website.  It contains a host of Sussex villages and can be very useful. :)

Best wishes Helen

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 September 10 08:55 BST (UK) »
Morning Helen

I got the following baptisms from a disc I have with Mayfield baptisms
John, 8 December 1706
Sarah, 6 March 1707
thomas, 10 February 1712
William 20 March 1714
James, 11 May 1718

but no mention of Jane, have you seen the original PR?  It could have been missed on the baptisms I have for Mayfield?

Interesting also that on the Bishops transcripts a couple of baptisms are under the name Isted rather than Eastwood, another name to look at for John's baptism maybe.

I love the Sussexweald site, it is so useful!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My connections run through the same Eastwoods and when I first looked at this lot my inclination was that the Eastwoods developed from the Isted name. I have seen the surname Estwood which seems a half way point.
Anyway, there is a baptism for a Sarah Isted in Mayfield in 28 Feb 1676 daughter of John & Sarah and it might well be that John Eastwood could be their child, although I can find no records.
There is a large Isted family connection with Framfield and their connections are well documented in the visitation of Sussex.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 September 10 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean

I found Sarah's baptism this morning, as usual, can find no other baptisms to the couple, no other record for Sarah and no marriage for a John and Sarah.  ::)  So we could well be dealing with the same people with changing surnames????

Kerry

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 September 10 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

I have the Mayfield PRs

Little Sarah daughter of John & Sarah was buried 5th March 1679  :(

The page for Marriages & Burials 1672 are missing  ??? so that does`nt help.

Kind Regards

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Billingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 September 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again Kerry,

No, so far I have not seen the parish record for Jane.  I am going down to stay at my caravan in Pevensey Bay next week so will take a trip over to Hastings to have a look in the research library for the parish records for Mayfield if they have them.  Will let you know if I find anything of interest.

I think the idea of the name being originally Isted/Estwood/ and similar is feasible.  I had a contact who was given the name Istod or something similar as being the name of William's father.  Will go back to my source and have another look.

Best wishes Helen  

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 17 September 10 22:09 BST (UK) »
I'll keep looking too.  Enjoy Pevensey Bay, I live not far away so I can tell you bring an extra jumper, we've had a cold north wind for the last week and expecting our first frost tonight, and that is extremely early for sunny Sussex.

Kerry

Offline Billingham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 September 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello again Kerry,

COLD? in Pevensey Bay? ;D

Before I moved with my parents to Bexhill in 1947 somebody said to us "don't come to live in Bexhill if you don't like the cold wind!"  But we did and loved it there.

Which branch of the Eastwood family do you descend from?  My hubby Len's family were in Etchingham and his ancestors are William Eastwood 1714 Samuel, Stephen, Henry, James and lastly his mother Ivy.  I understand if you don't want to give any details on here though.

Luv Helen  :-*