Author Topic: Bath Hotel  (Read 11662 times)

Offline Mhairiforrest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bath Hotel
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 April 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
My dad was the entertainment in the Bath Hotel in the 1960s-mid 70s. He was a professional singer. I have a great memory of being taken there for dinner as a treat for my 9th birthday.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 April 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
My dad was the entertainment in the Bath Hotel in the 1960s-mid 70s. He was a professional singer. I have a great memory of being taken there for dinner as a treat for my 9th birthday.

Mhairi, Interested to see that your surname is also Forrest.  I wonder whether we're related.  My Forrests were from Glasgow, having moved there from Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire and there are indications following DNA testing that even earlier Forrest family had connections to elsewhere in North Lanarkshire, namely around Carluke. 
If you are on Facebook, I run a small group that relates to Forrests with ancestry in Scotland.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/forrests.in.scotland/

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Mhairiforrest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 08 April 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
Not sure if we’re related. I was born and raised in Maryhill in Glasgow. My dad’s dad was Archie Forrest from Glasgow and he won the Irish sweepstakes in the 1930s.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 08 April 18 01:06 BST (UK) »
Not sure if we’re related. I was born and raised in Maryhill in Glasgow. My dad’s dad was Archie Forrest from Glasgow and he won the Irish sweepstakes in the 1930s.

The only Archie (Archibald) I'm aware of in my direct family was born in 1855 in Biggar, clearly too old to be the same Archie you refer to.

I've done some research for other of my Forrest contacts and have details of at least a dozen or so Archibald Forrests, but again, they are all much too old - some going back to between the mid 18th and mid 19th C.   Could be you are descended from one of them if the name was passed down through the family.

-------------------

Offline Mhairiforrest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 08 April 18 02:53 BST (UK) »
My dad is Archie too. 😊

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 15:57 BST (UK) »
I spent my honeymoon night in the Bath Hotel at 11 Blythswood Square (a long long time ago!).  Looking at the photos added previously on this thread, its now called "The Principal Blythswood Square"....and a spa.
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
I spent my honeymoon night in the Bath Hotel at 11 Blythswood Square (a long long time ago!).  Looking at the photos added previously on this thread, its now called "The Principal Blythswood Square"....and a spa.

Not the same building.  The Bath Hotel previously mentioned in this thread was at 152 Bath Street. 

The Principle Blythswood is a block or two further south in Blythswood Square - No idea whether it was ever called The Bath Hotel.

Dave
-------------------

Offline Kate B

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
Had a word with my husband and we're both convinced the one at 11 Blythswood Square was called the Bath Hotel.....now you've got us wondering! 

Anyone got access to telephone directory for 1970 Glasgow?  It will save me a trip up to the loft...I'm sure we've got the receipt for our night's stay!   ;D ;D
Genealogists don't die, they just lose their census.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 April 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Had a word with my husband and we're both convinced the one at 11 Blythswood Square was called the Bath Hotel.....now you've got us wondering! 

Anyone got access to telephone directory for 1970 Glasgow?  It will save me a trip up to the loft...I'm sure we've got the receipt for our night's stay!   ;D ;D

You could be right.  I just only know of the one in Bath St.

Best I can come up with re diectory is from 1975 when the only Bath Hotel recorded in it was the one in Bath St. 

-------------------