Author Topic: Edward, Esther, Edna WATERHOUSE; Gter Toronto post 1920  (Read 15030 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Edward, Esther, Edna WATERHOUSE; Gter Toronto post 1920
« on: Friday 05 October 07 11:56 BST (UK) »
In 1981 my mother visited cousins somewhere in the Greater Toronto area - I don't know where (though I think it might have been eastern Toronto - perhaps Scarborough/Markham) and I don't know their names!!!

However, I believe they were probably family of Edward and Esther WATERHOUSE, who probably emigrated from Leeds to Ontario during the period 1917-1925.  They had a daughter, Edna, born in Leeds, 1916.

Looking through Canadian Resources, this seems to be awkward timing - after the 1911 census and after the dates of public access to births and marriages!  I was wondering whether anyone might have access to Greater Toronto telephone directories from the 1940s onwards that might list Waterhouse.  Any other ideas most welcome!

Thanks
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward, Esther, Edna WATERHOUSE; Gter Toronto post 1920
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 07 05:05 BST (UK) »
You could try some cemeteries, to see if you recognize any other names.

Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search

Ontario Genealogical Society - Cemetery Ancestor Search
http://ogs.andornot.com/CemeteryIndex.aspx

Interment.net
http://www.interment.net/can/on/index.htm

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 October 07 05:47 BST (UK) »
You could also try searching through some of the directories. You can find years of 1917, 1918, 1919, 1921, 1922 for the Toronto area.

Internet Archive
http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=toronto%20directories

Telephone Directory - Canada 411
(416 or 905 Area Codes)
http://findaperson.canada411.ca/

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 07 07:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Thanks for the references.  The directories are useful, but they're a little early - I don't know exactly the year they emigrated, but it was probably the early '20s, so the latest on-line directory (1922) is probably a couple of years too early.  Plus, of course, they might have spent some time initially in Montreal or elsewhere.

As for the modern directory, my mother would have been visiting someone of her own generation (cousin), so a child of Edward and Esther.  The only one I know about is Edna, who would probably not have been a Waterhouse in the 1980s.  If only birth or marriage records were available in Canada !

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 05:21 BST (UK) »
If you think they may have been in Montreal, here are the directories. Just click on Série principale (1842-1977) once you open the link, and you will find the rest in English. (You want to check "Alphabetical" for surnames.

Lovell's Directories
http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Annuaires Lovell
Montréal et sa banlieue
Série principale (1842-1977)
Série Criss-cross (1974-1999)
Banlieues
Laval (1958-1968)
Rive-Sud (1956-1966)
Série Criss-cross (1962-1974)

Janice

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Janice, but no, I don't have any reason to believe that they spent time in Montreal - I just named Montreal as a likely location if they had not immediately moved to the Toronto area.  My basic problem is that I know so little about this family!

Cheers
Tim

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 00:16 BST (UK) »
I just checked a selection of Toronto city directories.

Edward G. Waterhouse had these residences:
33 Follis Avenue - 1934,1936,1937
45 Macpherson Ave - 1940
1 Macpherson Ave - 1945,1949,1954
2 Pretoria Avenue - 1958-1983
6 Barrymore Road - 1988

He worked at Loblaw's grocery store as a warehouseman and receiver in 1934-40 then as a fireman/engineer on the CNR (Canadian National Railway) in the directories I checked from 1945 to 1970.  He's shown as retired in 1983 and 1988.

I couldn't find him in the spotty collection of directories past 1988.  The 1987 phone book has him at 2 Pretoria but he's absent from the 1988 and 1989 phone books.  A search on "edna esther edward waterhouse" in the 1986-1990 Toronto Star at http://pagesofthepast.ca/ produces two hits: March 23, 1987, and March 21, 1989.

There was no sign of Esther but Edna has an entry at 33 Follis Avenue in 1936.  A search on "edna esther edward waterhouse" for 1935-1939 produces hits for June 26, 1936, and November 7, 1936. 

I'll pull up the newspaper microfilm for those dates tomorrow and see if that produces Edna's wedding and Edward's obituary.

mat

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 02:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Mat,

That is absolutely fantastic, and so very kind of you to put in so much effort for a stranger!  I'm not at my own computer right now, so I don't have the exact details, but in 1936 Edna would have been about 22, so I'm sure those entries will be related to her marriage - perhaps engagement in June, followed by marriage in November.  And the 1989 entry will surely be Edward's death (I think he would have been over 90 by then!).

I am based in Bangkok, so in the unlikely event that you have any need to check Thai records, I'd be delighted to help out.

Thanks again,
Tim

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 05:58 BST (UK) »
Toronto Star Newspaper

March 23, 1987 - This page turned out to Birth, Death Notices, but it related to someone working for Price Waterhouse.

March 21, 1989 - This page is Birth, Death Notices, about a Timothy Edward Waterhouse. I don't know if he's yours, but I have attached the page just in case

Janice