Author Topic: Edward, Esther, Edna WATERHOUSE; Gter Toronto post 1920  (Read 15027 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Edward, Esther, Edna WATERHOUSE; Gter Toronto post 1920
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tim

I think her husband's name would have been Edgar. I will email you a death notice for the mother of Rev. Edgar Lorimer.

It gives the name of the cemetery where she was buried. It's possible they may all have been buried in the same place.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Tim,

It looks like were searching the wrong family again.  :P

This Edna was the daughter of Charles Clifford Waterhouse. I just found his obit in 1960, and his daughter's name was Edna Lorimer.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Janice,

And I was thinking that Waterhouse was a nice relatively rare name to work with.  But it seems that there is something in Waterhouse genes that leads them all to name their children Edward and Edna!

Oh well, thanks for all your work, but don't go to too much trouble on my behalf.  Maybe I need to try to dig up more information in Yorkshire (e.g. a date of emigration) first.

All the best
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 05:17 GMT (UK) »
I will keep my eyes open for your family. If you do find more information, then revive this posting, so that we can try again.

In the meantime, I am still going through the newspaper to see what I can find.

Janice

Offline matildakin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 November 07 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Tim,

I'm wondering if Toronto is a dead end.  I checked the 1920s city directories and found an Edward Waterhouse in 1923-26 and 1929 but he was sharing the same address (156 Macdonell) as Charles Waterhouse in 1923-25.  It looks like the Canadian-born Edward living at the family home with father Charles.

In 1930, there's an Edna (occupation: chocolate dipper at Willard's) residing at 156 Macdonell with Charles.

mat

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 01 November 07 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mat,

Thanks for your continuing efforts.  The Edna living with Charles will be the one who subsequently married Rev. Lorimer, so they all seem to be one big family, but not mine.

I guess this was one long shot too far ... I know that my mother's cousin was in the Toronto area in 1981, so this would be presumably be Edna under a married name.  But yes, it is possible that Edward and Esther settled elsewhere, and that it was Edna who subsequently moved to Toronto.

As I said to Janice, I'll work at the UK end to try to track down when they actually left the UK.  I'll also go back to another branch of the family who I spoke to a couple of years ago.  Thy recalled the Canadian cousins but claimed not to know anything about them.  But you know how people's memories work ... I'll see if they can dredge anything up.

All the best
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline hijinx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 06 December 08 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Hey gang....your efforts have finally come to use, although not for the original searcher.  Several of the citations are from my gang of Waterhouse relatives.  Edward Godfrey is one that I don't have any info on except for the fact he existed at one point and then only from an obituary.  Okay, I'm a little slow to catch on but have been hunting around since 2000 and just started to mine these rootschat archives.  Just wanted to be sure to drop a thank you note.
Petherick - Ogwell, Devon
Ellis - Northowram, West Yorkshire

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 06 December 08 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat hijinx ... as you have already discovered, it is a tremendous resource.

I'm glad that I have inadvertently been of help in your research.  As it happens, it turns out I was barking up completely the wrong tree!  Although I was convinced that my mother's unknown Canadian cousins must have been the Waterhouses, since this thread was active, I have discovered that they were still in the UK in the mid 1930's, by which time I am sure the parents would have been too old to contemplate emigration.  So I'm back to square one!

Cheers
Tim

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 May 12 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again Janice, Mat, and all the others ... hope you're still getting notifications on this thread ...

After 4+ years, I have taken up the search again, and this time I am sure I've got it right!  It turns out I was looking for the right person, but the wrong surname.  It was Edna Waterhouse who emigrated to Canada, but I now know that it was after she married Arthur Leighton, in 1945.

I thought my relatives might have lived in Markham, and indeed the Ontario Genealogical Society Cemetary Index has a record for Edna Leighton, from 1989, in Elmwood Cemetary, Markham (she would have been 73 years old).  There is no record for Arthur Leighton.

People search (411) has two records for Leightons still living in Markham.  In this day-and-age, of course, it's not too likely that they are relatives, but it's a start.

Cheers
Tim