Author Topic: The Ulster Historical Foundation  (Read 10938 times)

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: The Ulster Historical Foundation
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 07 May 11 23:16 BST (UK) »
I must say I've never had any problems with them and have used their databases to break several brick walls.  Their records are fuller that any other equivalent county sites I've seen under the rootsireland.ie umbrella, they are cheaper that going through the rootsireland portal (MUCH cheaper if you are a member) and some good stuff is free (like using free index searches to find father's names for marriages).

Also they publish some great books ;D

Not saying they are perfect though ........

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Re: The Ulster Historical Foundation
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 May 11 13:16 BST (UK) »
I agree, their index is very useful and if you can afford to buy the records they are usually very good infowise.

I did have a membership a couple of years ago and the only real benefit was that you got records half price and had full access to the gravestone inscription database.

Some of the other databases were quite obscure and not really relevant.

Also a major negative point was that their communication was not very good and on several occasions I attempted to contact other members with the same surname research without success. This can only be done via the organisation, however, I emailed them about this but never received a reply, which was disappointing.

MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone