Author Topic: Pre-War Wet-Fish Shops in Hull  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Wincolmlee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pre-War Wet-Fish Shops in Hull
« on: Saturday 06 October 07 08:26 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any recollection of a wet fish business in pre-war Hull?  It was started by one Richard McDonald Jessop, my Gt Grandfather, (b.1881) around the turn of the century when he started as a street seller.  A few years later, he kept shops at 17a and 18a New George Street and, possibly, 62 Alexandra Street (near Clarendon St).  Richard died in his 60's in 1943 and surviving family recollection is that they had a shop in Hessle- (where, I'm told, Roach's were one-time rivals and they survived at least until the 60's).
I've found the Hull addresses of Richard Mc J on the directories and even a view of the New George Street shops (under different occupancy) in the Hull CC archives website.  I can't find anything in Hessle but:
I recall many years ago a photo in the Hull Daily Mail (in their "Flashback" series(?)) of the shop, staff standing outside and the frontage and canopy festooned with game and poultry.  I was told that it was the "family shop" but a can't remember much else.
Can anyone help, please? 
Many thanks,
Wincolmlee
Jessop and McDonald of Hull.
Jessop, Kirklees area of West Riding.
Mann, Reece,Winn of Hull.
Ince of Bradford area.
Industrial River Hull
Hull textile industry