Author Topic: ~~~McWaters Family~~~  (Read 4920 times)

Offline LABYRINTH51

• RootsChat Extra
  • ~~~"Listen to the 'whisper' of Your heart...!!!~~~
    • View Profile
Re: ~~~McWaters Family~~~
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 May 08 04:37 BST (UK) »
Dear aghadowey~~~
THANK YOU so very much for Your prompt/welcomed response. 

I must admit that I have absolutely NO information pertaining to this NEW tidbit of material.

Personally, I have not had successful locating 'Records' in Ireland & would love to learn if there is a source of Birth, Marriage, Death Records which may assist.  I've been SOOOOO spoiled by the British Census Records!!!

I would LOVE to find the marriage certificate for THOMAS McWATTERS & MARY JANE CORBETT  probably in the early 1850's?  Birth Certificates for their children Bernard John/1857, Joseph/Unk, Mary/1864.  I am under the impression that they were born in Dublin??? (Unconfirmed)

With great respect for Your 'expertise' & experience (beyond My vast experience of ALMOST One Year), I will appreciate any insight into how/where this information may be found???

Blessings to You, this day.  Hope that You & YOurs are well & rallying around a lush, abundant FAMILY Tree.

Whispering...with Curiousity
DonnaChristine Park
USA/AZ
HASSARD-Corbett/Fox/Edglington/Regus/Evans;
COLLINS-Gaynor; BYRNE-Fox; ~McWaters?~
PARK-Spedding/Wade/Agnew;

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 May 08 08:48 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births began 1864 so anyone born before that year will not have a birth certificate. Even then, in the early years until it was made compulsory in 1870, some births weren't registered.
To find church records like baptisms (if they exist) you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
Civil registration of deaths and Catholic marriages also began 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LABYRINTH51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 May 08 04:26 BST (UK) »
Dear aghadowey~~~
Once again, THANK YOU for Your insight & expertise. 

Just today, I learned that WILLIAM McWATTERS was a Presbyterian Minister in SCOTLAND.  Alledgedly, His son THOMAS was born in DUBLIN in 1827.  It is suggested that when He was to marry MARY ANNE CORBETT (who was Catholic), His Father was less than pleased.  THOMAS emigrated to USA in 1865?  Would LOVE to locate THOMAS & MARY ANNE's Marriage Certificate & also confirm WILLIAM's Wife's Name.  (I have been told Sophia Cochrean???)  In addition, I have been lead to believe that brother, MA McWATTERS' was born in/abt 1830?

Can You direct Me to a site where this information may be available???

The connection to MY Direct Family Tree falls with MARY ANNE CORBETT...because it is possible that She is the SISTER of My Great-Grandmother, JANE (Elizabeth?) Corbett-HASSARD.  Finding/confirming the Marriage Certificate of JANE CORBETT to CHARLES HASSARD (abt 1864?) would be INCREDIBLE.  As several of their children's Birth Certificates note, they were born in County DUBLIN.  CHARLES was a tobaccanist living on Great Britain Street from the mid-1860's until the mid-1890's.  He died in DUBLIN in 1906.  Jane died in DUBLIN in 1911.

Is there a BEST WAY to determine the PARISH??? & then are the documents available online???

Well, today has been another WonderFULL day filled with new 'tidbits' of information to learn & share.  I consider that a GOOD DAY.  Hope that You have enjoyed the same. 

Thanking You for Your continuing input & assistance.  Blessings to You, dear Friend.

Whispering...With MORE & More Questions
DonnaChristine Park
USA/AZ

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 May 08 17:27 BST (UK) »
First of all If Thomas McWatters and Mary Anne Corbett were married in a Catholic cerremony in Ireland there will be no marriage certificate although there might be a church record of the event.
If they were married in a Protestant church or Registry Office after 1845 there should be a certificate but Irish marriage certificates list fathers' names and occupations (not the mothers).
If William McWatters was a Presbyterian minister in Scotland why was his son Thomas born in Dublin?

Offline LABYRINTH51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ~~~McWatters Family~~~
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 06:08 BST (UK) »
Dear aghadowey~~~
Yes, I have been told that THOMAS converted to Catholiscism when/as He & MARY ANNE CORBETT were married. 

Due to the 'contensious' tone between Father & Son, I believe that it was NOT a Protestant ceromony.

That is a VERY GOOD question; however, this IS the information which has been offerred to Me.  Thereinlies, My reason for continuing to ATTEMPT to learn the FACTS.

I do appreciate Your input amid My MANY questions.  I guess My real question is:  Is there a website which may contain Ireland Census REports (perhaps 1861) or chuch marriage records?  I do not believe that anyone knows the official address/residence of THOMAS & MARY ANNE prior to their departure in the mid-1860's.  Is there a site which may show emigration documents?

Suffice it to say, the reSEARCH goes on. 

Whispering...GrateFULLY
DonnaChristine Park
USA/AZ

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 07:41 BST (UK) »
First complete census for Ireland is 1901.

Offline Rcampbell2757

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 June 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of the Mcwatters in the NJ area. My mom Rosemary was Joseph Mcwatters Daughter. Joseph my Grandfather was the grandson of Thomas and Mary Anne Corbett Mcwatters.
I guess that makes us very distant cousins.