Author Topic: Calling all Cork Barrys  (Read 16975 times)

Offline Peter Spencer

• RootsChat Extra
  • To a genealogist a step backwards is progress
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all Cork Barrys
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 September 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

Adam Spencer's great-great-great-granddaughter send me six pages of information about the Svombos. I will email it to you.

:) Pete

Spencer, Svombo, Barry, Pardey, Rolf, Whitewood, Wadham, Cotton, Cooper, Fry, Wheeler, Whillier, Willier, Eldridge

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 September 06 17:17 BST (UK) »
Super, Peter, that's brilliant. Thank you! :)

I have quite a lot of info that I need to put onto the computer. Then I'll be able to pass it on to relatives.

I'm still hoping to organise a Svombo reunion, but health problems have been getting in the way, unfortunately.

Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 January 08 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.
Happy New Year.
I hope there might be someone on here who can help me out a bit, please? ~ Thanks!

I haven't had much chance to do research recently, and certainly haven't got very far with my Cork ancestry, but, in the absense of finding anything specific to my family, I would like some more general information, if anyone could provide it please.  :)

As I said before, my great great grandmother was Ellen Barry ~ and her mother was named Ellen, too.  According to different censuses, she was born either in Queenstown, or America as a British subject. The year would have been about 1837. (Further details above)

I would like to know how Ellen might have come to have been born in America ~ yet return to grow up in Ireland.
Is it likely that she & her siblings were christened in the 'old' St Colman's?

I would like some general info on the 'Barry' clan. I have read up on the name in books and looked on the Internet, but I'm still not sure quite how it worked.
There was obviously a wealthy 'Barry' family, who owned estates and were extremely prominent in the area.
And there were a large number of Barrys populating the area, too.
There must have been many very poor Barrys ~ especially during the famine ~ Were they all distantly related?
Were they just part of a clan, who may or may not have been related?
If I find a Barry in Cobh / Queenstown, at the same time as Ellen's family lived there, how likely is it that they might be family?
I heard that Ellen' father was a ship's captain, but I have no proof of this.

I'd appreciate any info please. Sometimes a little local knowledge can make all the difference!  :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 January 08 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I would like some general info on the 'Barry' clan. I have read up on the name in books and looked on the Internet, but I'm still not sure quite how it worked.
There was obviously a wealthy 'Barry' family, who owned estates and were extremely prominent in the area.
And there were a large number of Barrys populating the area, too.
There must have been many very poor Barrys ~ especially during the famine ~ Were they all distantly related?
Were they just part of a clan, who may or may not have been related?
If I find a Barry in Cobh / Queenstown, at the same time as Ellen's family lived there, how likely is it that they might be family?
With a common surname in the area like Barry you cannot assume that they are all related. If the Barrys have been in the area for generations it will be very difficult to find records to prove any relationships.

What about Ellen's death certificate? If she died in U.S., depending on which state, it may list date and place of birth, names of both parents, etc. (however, information will be what the informant knew which may or may not be correct).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 08 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Ellen died in Cardiff, in 1912. All her family seem to have moved there. It might be worth looking for her siblings' death certificates. I don't recall finding anything about her father from hers. Her eldest child was christened in Queenstown; the others in Cardiff.

The thing I keep reading is that Queenstown / Cobh was Barry stronghold. I'm guessing that they were all related at some stage ~ either by blood, marriage, service, etc. Some seem to have been well-off and others quite poor.

This is the sort of thing I find:
'Cobh is located on the south shore of the Great Island in Cork Harbour ..'
'The island .. became known as Oilean Mor An Barra, (the Great Island of Barry & Barrymore) after the Barry family who inherited it.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobh

I just thought that someone with local knowledge could give me more of a feel for what it might have been like.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 08 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Don't think her death certificate would list father's name (Irish ones certainly don't).
Cardiff must have been full of people that came from Cork- I traced Clifford family there and when they moved on to America they listed their birthplace as 'Cardiff, Ireland'!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 January 08 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Cardiff & Treforest. Apparently the Irish came over as 'ballast' and this explains the RC church at Treforest (St Dubritious / Dyfrigs))

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 December 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

I thought that it might be worth asking, again, if there are any other current members with 'Barry' ancestry from Cobh / Queenstown, in Cork?

Offline podgeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 December 10 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)

I thought that it might be worth asking, again, if there are any other current members with 'Barry' ancestry from Cobh / Queenstown, in Cork?

Hi Tricia,

I have Barry in my family, but i don't know much about her and would love to find out more. Her name was Honora Barry, she was born about 1842 in  Cork. I can only go by the Welsh census. She married James Collins who was also from Cork. They lived in Llanelly, Wales. I cant find a marriage anywhere for them. I'd love to get some help if the names ring a bell with anyone!

Thanks  :)