Author Topic: Robert Lawes  (Read 16738 times)

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Lawes
« Reply #27 on: Monday 01 June 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
Dear Pat
I was so very excited to see your message! Since the previous postings I found quite a bit about your grandfather George including his death in Brazil. But is is wonderful to find a member of his family at last. Are you able to tell me more about his 5 children and their offspring?

There is also a strange family tradition that there is a statue of George somewhere in South America. It seems unlikely, but do you know anything about it?

My husband is the great-grandson of Alfred Ernest Lawes (1863-19460, George's older brother.

Kind regards, Ebba

Isaacs in London and Bristol; Bishop in Somerset;
Cleave in Devon; Young, Lovell, Hutton & Fenner in Bristol; Lawes & Elliot in Durham and South Wales;
Mortifee/Mortify/Martifee/Martify plus variations, anywhere

Offline Patlawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 00:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Ebba,

I'm delighted to learn about my ancestors, too. Since my father and his sister died when I was quite young, I've had to rely on my mother's memories and and recently started my research into genealogy. That's how I found my father's four siblings, Alfred E., after your husband's greatgrandfather I suppose, Herbert E., Reginald F. and Elinor Margaret.

As for their offspring, the only cousins I know of are Alfred's sons, by their nicknames: Micky Lawes, who lives in Paraguay, and Teddy Lawes, in Sidney, Australia.

I'll try to get more information from them and send it to you as soon as possible.

Regarding the statue, I've never heard anything about it but there might have been one either in Sapucay, Paraguay, where my father was born, or in Brazil, where he died. Grandpa George was quite an important guy there.

Kindest regards,
Pat

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Ebba
Its been a while since we last made contact.  Isn't it just great when information, important to the search, comes out of the blue, such as the recent message from your relative Pat in Argentina.  I am at long last writing-up my research notes on the history of Brithdir village ready for publication and what a coincidence for Pat's to post her message just when I am currently writing the story of Katherine Laws (Lawes) during her time at Gwaelod y Brithdir farm etc.

Hello Pat
I wonder do you have a photograph of your grandfather George Elliot Lawes, it would surely enhance the family's story

Regards to both
Roy   
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patlawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Roy

I'm so glad to have appeared at just this time and hope I can help you with this link from another discussion group about my family tree, where there is a photo of Grandpa George.

http://profileengine.com/groups/profile/428383523/global-lawes?offset=

While delving into my ancestors' backgrounds I came across very interesting and juicy comments about my greatgrandmother Katherine and would love to see them developed in your story!

Kind regards
Pat

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 18:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy

Yes isn't it exciting?
Pat may well have photos but I also have one of her grandfather George. I found it on a publicly available website though annoyingly I can't now remember which and can't seem to find the link address. I have tried to attach it here without success. I'll now try and message you privately with it.
I was also very surprised at the timeliness of Pat's posting as I have been doing a lot of research recently and went back onto Roots Chat again for the first time in ages only last week.
Through this I have found the son of Robert Leonard Lawes and his wife Mary nee Cross, though as he is unrelated to Katherine he may not be of interest to you. Robert Leonard Lawes is the eldest son of Robert Morrow Lawes and his second 'wife' (bigamous?) Sarah Prosser. (For the benefit of whoever, this son is Harry Leonard Morrow Lawes registered in Leeds 1907 and died Grimsby 1986).

But what really may be interesting to you is that Katherine's second husband (again, bigamous?) Valentine Jacob Herman(n) was probably part of a voyage from Europe aiming to colonise Papua New Guinea. I can send you full details if you'd like.

Best wishes, Ebba
Cleave in Devon; Young, Lovell, Hutton & Fenner in Bristol; Lawes & Elliot in Durham and South Wales;

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Pat

Our messages have nearly crossed! Thank you for posting that link. It is the same photo of George that I found so Roy take note I will not bother to message you!

Don't keep us in suspense! What are the juicy stories?! I have also heard from many different sources that she was quite a girl but we don't know what to believe really.

Pat, where are you? Somewhere in South America or somewhere else? I am in Wales UK.

I was very interested to hear there is a Teddy Lawes in Sydney Australia as there are a number of other Lawes descendants also there right now. There certainly seems to be some attraction with Lawes people and Australia! These include my husband's mother, his sister and her family (they all emigrated there in 1965 and are near Sydney), my husband's cousin and his children in Queensland, and a large clan not named Lawes but all descended from Katherine's daughter Bertha Lawes. Bertha emigrated to Australia with Katherine (and Bertha's sister Edith) in 1891 and she had 5 sons.

Kind regards, Ebba

Offline Patlawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Ebba and Roy

That photograph is exactly the same one my mother keeps in her dining room and it's the only one I have!

This is all I found about Katherine but it is very promising! Now I go over it again I notice it might have been someone in your Ebba's family who posted it!

"I am aware the Elliot Lawes link in our family began in 1861 when my great great grandmother, Katharine Elizabeth Victoria Theresa Elliot married Robert Morrow Laws. Their son, my great grandfather Alfred Ernest, was also given the name Elliot and, family tradition says, the name Laws was altered to Lawes as Katharine was something of a social climber. All of Alfred's siblings were given the middle name Ellot including a George who I think was born in 1869 and who may have died in South America."

My cousin Teddy also migrated to Australia in the 60's or early 70's. He settled in Sidney and I think his sister went to Queensland. I'll confirm this as soon as I get more updates from them. They could all have a great family gathering right there!

As for me, I'm born and bred in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and haven't visited our "homeland" yet, but would love to. Just reading about it in Fall of Giants turned me on! So it's a pending subject for me!

Thanks for your interest and sharing.

Pat

Offline Ebba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
Dear Pat

That piece you have copied about the Lawes family was written by my husband!! As he has said, she was definitely a social climber. It looks very much as if she traded on her relationship with Sir George Elliot her uncle. Her obituary in the Sydney Morning Herald in September 1916 emphasises that relationship, and also says she is second cousin (not a very close relationship!) to the Very Rev Henry George Liddell D.D. late Dean of Christ Church Oxford. We don't know if this is true or not, but her husband was obviously left in no doubt about what he had to write about her after she was gone!

Looks like maybe your Grandpa George only ever had one photo taken!
Do you have one of Katherine, or maybe Robert Lawes her husband?

There is some thought in the family that Katherine might have travelled to South America to see George when he was working there, or perhaps to visit his grave in Brazil after his death. have you ever heard about this?

All the best
Ebba

Offline Patlawes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Ebba,
 I'm afraid what your husband wrote is all I got to know about her, nor have I ever heard of her coming to see George. My brother David, who posted THE photo we are discussing, is trying to collect more info, but we have no more photos of any of them.

Regards
Pat