Author Topic: Dolphin Cole, Llanfield  (Read 11951 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphin Cole, Llanfield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes please, would welcome any information

regards
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Only just read your message so Yes please, would welcome any information, have sent you a PM message

regards
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline barrydragon

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 09 22:39 BST (UK) »
Dolphin Cole is my Great Grandfather. We think that he was born in Llanigon, which is a small village outside of Hay-on-Wye. He died in 1939. One of his sons was Sydney John Cole who is my paternal Grandfather and his son Hubert Dolphin Charles Cole is my father. Dana (Sydney) died in 1950 and Dad in 1956.

You will not find Dolphin on the 1861 Census because the records for Llanigon for that period were lost.

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 09 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just replied with a PM

Regards
Roy

Offline Aussietrueblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 September 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
H List ,
 By any chance were George and Mary the parents of this  Dolphin Cole ? And did he marry a Margaret Watkins?

If so we may have a family connection :)

Regards,
Marsha

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 September 09 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Marsha
Good you hear from you.

In answer to your question; yes; Dolphin Cole married Margaret Watkins on 10 July 1873 and the son of George and Mary Cole nee Price.

Do you know a Mrs Thea Hinton of Yorkshire, UK?  If so then I suspect you are already aware of me; if not then I'm afraid its disappointing news for I am not related.  However all is not lost so let me explain why I have an interest in Dolphin Cole. My name is Royston Smith, retired and live in Caerphilly with my wife Jen.  I have a great passion for family history and have been researching my families past for well over thirty years.  On approaching retirement I thought it would be a challenge to research the village of my childhood with the aim of writing its history.  I was raised in the former coal mining village of Brithdir, in the Rhymney Valley of South Wales and it is there my roots are firmly planted. To that end for the past three years I have been researching anything and everything to do with Brithdir and I am pleased to say, to date, I have taken Brithdir’s history back to the 1700s when the only people residing here then were the farmers. 

At this moment in time I am working my way through the censuses 1841-1901 researching everyone who were born, married and died in the village.  This includes those who migrated in from elsewhere and even those who just passed through.  I feel that everyone as played their part and given some contribution to the growth of the village and deserve to be part of my studies.  I am pleased to say also that many people have responded well to the project and my collection of photographs is growing steadily.

My interest in Dolphin Cole stems from the fact he is listed as farm bailiff at Gwaelod y Brithdir farm on the 1891 census.  Gwaelody y Brithdir is one of three local farms and it is with the farms I began my quest to tell Brithdir’s story as each as played its part in the history of the village.  Mrs Thea Hinton made contact via RootsChat because she is researching a brother to Dolphin, namely George Cole and as helped a great deal. 

As you can imagine a project of this size ‘researching anything and everyone with a connection to Brithdir’ as meant a growing collection of files full of details, and photographs.  Letters from Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, America, Canada, and South Africa have made their way to my letterbox.   Also contacts have been made with people all over the UK, descendants of former residents tracing their forebears. On my part this project is a labour of love but not a one way thing by far for as much as people help me I reciprocate by helping them and others with family histories.

If you can help in anyway I would be more than happy to hear from you.

Best wishes
Roy           

Offline Aussietrueblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 September 09 07:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy ,
you have taken on a huge task I wish you well and hope everythings runs smoothly as you complete it.

Thank you for your reply and yes I do know Thea we are in contact.

The information I have came from Thea so unless I unearth any new information I am afraid I won't be able to be of any assistance, I am sorry. Thank you for the information you have given me on Dolphin.
Regards,
Marsha

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 September 09 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Marsha
Thanks for letting me know.  Win some lose some is the old saying but as long as we part on good terms, who knows we may make contact again in the future.  Thea and I are in contact whenever something crops up and as you are in contact with too, I guess you will learn of any new findings.

Best Wishes
Roy

Offline BillFancourt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 March 11 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roy
I have been entering the tree of my nephew's son born 2009. Dolphin Cole is an ancestor of his. You can see Dolphin on the 1851 census at Llanigon, Breckonshire. his father was George Cole (Ancestry says Coal) a labourer age 33 born at Peterchurch, Herefordshire. You will see Dolphin Coal age 1½  born at Llanigon. That made him born cSept 1849. I haven't found his birth record yet as I have just started looking at that part of the line, hence seeing your post. He should be registered in Hay but isn't. Have you got the birth record??
Regards     Bill