Author Topic: MILAM family, Finchampstead, Reading, Berks  (Read 10293 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: MILAM family, Finchampstead, Reading, Berks
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 September 08 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Pat

George Dorsett  was  one of six children, Fanny being the youngest.
He is buried 16th Sept 1909 Cholsey Lunatic Asylum Burial Ground which is in the Wallingford Registration District.

I am very distantly related by marriage to the Nash family via my paternal Sellwoods but I have done a lot of work on them because they are so complicated.
I do also have Milam/Milham/Mileham/Millam families from the Wokingham area on my tree but not that particular family.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 29 September 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Vic

Thank you very much for your reply. Poor George, that doesn't sound like much of a way to end ones days - and he was relatively young. Do you have any more information that you would be comfortable passing on to us?  To save potential embarassment to anyone, my sister and I are the only descendants of Eliza (Nash) and William Dorsett, and a public forum is fine for us.

3 of their children- Eliza Rose, George and Nellie - did not have children. Marian died in infancy. Emily's 2 children, I believe, did not marry. Fanny had 2 children; her daughter, our mother Winfired Rose,  had the two of us.  Fanny was born in 1877 and the youngest, Nellie, in 1883, 2 years after Marian's death.

We are v grateful indeed for the information you have given to us. If you know of any records in which we could folow G's story, I would be glad to know.

Thank you so much for your help.

Pat Williamson and Dianne Kenny

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 29 September 08 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I don't know for sure, but I think that Cholsey Asylum records are held at Berkshire Record Office. Either there or they will be at Oxford.
You might be able to glean something from them. Reasons for admission/death etc. 

It is outside the 100 year rule so there shouldn't be any difficulty.
I don't have any more info other than his father was buried 1896 in London Rd Cemetery Reading, his mother in 1910 at Chieveley St Marys along with George's sister, Rose Eliza, in 1951.

Marian Rachel is buried 1881 Reading London Rd. age 1

I didn't follow George's father back because the link is so very distant from me, but I have just looked and have found in the Bucks fhs cd that he was in Great Kimble

Longdown Farm Gt Kimble
In home of Abel and Sarah Redrup
William Dorsett 20 Farm lab indoor servant Princes Risborough

Hope this is useful.
Regards
Vicwinann

Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 29 September 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Vic.  We have been looking for Rose Eliza's burial for about eighteen months and to find she is at Chievely, along with mother (and probably sister Emily also, she lived at Chievely) is most welcome news.

I will try Berks recs for further info on George. I have lots of early Dorsett info from Bucks - it was the later Reading generation that was proving to be most elusive.  Again, we are v grateful indeed and I expect that our weekend wuill be spent in Chievely. I cannot thank you enough.  Best wishes. Pat W

Offline MrsPooh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 08 August 11 02:54 BST (UK) »
Recently acquired my Mary Milam death certificate.  Parents were listed as Harry Milam and Mary Ann Corker.  I understand that death record information is not always accurate. 

I am still plowing through information.

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 September 11 14:07 BST (UK) »
That sounds right for Mary who married George Dorsett.  The Dorsett family in Princes Risborough was large, George Dorsett's father William was the eldest of 10, yet there are few descendants, so glad to know there was at least one more child.  I hope he was ok.

Thanks for updating me.

Pat W

Offline Milams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 September 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi pat w
I'm the grandson of eleanor emily milam born easthampstead 1895, I have found researching this strand of the milam's, difficult I couldnt find any 1891 or 1901 census but I found William emily Caroline frank and Joseph on the school register with there address saying they lived at the union workhouse at binfield/easthampstead, I've requested eleanor emily milam birth certificate which i am eagerly awaiting, I am hoping Henry milam is the father born Finchampstead 1849 even though his court prison records are shocking if they are his, I haven't been able to match up the other members ada ann a though my mum seems to remember an auntie ada before emily was taken into hospital with mental health issues never to come out again, where we're the family living in 1881 ?? I'm rearching on find my past,

Kind regards richard

Offline Milams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 September 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
Looking again it is possible that Henry and Mary had the additional children before 1881 census Henry was in prison for nearly a year and there is a gap where no children were born,if eleanor emily milams birth certificate states that I will request  earlier certificates of ada and Kate,

Offline Milams

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 29 September 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
I recieved my granmothers birth certificate eleanor emily milam born easthampstead berkshire 1895 it states her father was Henry and her mothers maiden name was mary weston, I'm still unconvinced that Henry and Mary a had 11 children but I think I will request ada and kates birth certificate, I can't find a marriage certificate for Henry milam and mary Weston-super-Mare so far,