Author Topic: MILAM family, Finchampstead, Reading, Berks  (Read 10286 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: MILAM family, Finchampstead, Reading, Berks
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 October 07 09:41 BST (UK) »
The following site list the places in each registration district.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/

Send me a PM if you have a particular problem with Berkshire.  I live in the area that you are searching.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 October 07 09:54 BST (UK) »
That  is v useful indeed - thank you - have bookmarked it for future ref.

Offline MrsPooh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 September 08 01:59 BST (UK) »
Here is what I have on Mary Milam.  Marriage to George Horton on Dec 24, 1917 in Ash, Surre.  She is listed as Mary Tanner (widow) father (Henry Milam Deceased).  She immigrated to Canada with George and her son Edwin Milam who was known to the family as Edwin Dorset.

Not sure if this is the same Mary, but a lot of the names match up.

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 September 08 03:13 BST (UK) »
George DORSETT (b1874 Reading) m Mary White MILAM (b1880, Finchampstead) in Reading in 1906.

George died in Wallingford in 1909.  Can anyone tell me anything at all about Mary or her family? I believe she was the daughter of George and Mary MILAM of Finchampstead.

Hello,
I can't help with Mary Milham but I can tell you where George Dorsett died. It wasn't in Wallingford itself but in Cholsey.  I have him on my tree but I do not have a marriage for him.  His father came from Princes Risborough in Bucks and his mother was one of the huge Nash family from Aldermaston.  If you send me a private mail I will give you details of George Dorsett's burial.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 September 08 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hello

Have not got marriage cert but entry on BMD for marriage December 1906. There are quite a lot of MILAMS in Finchampstead but Mary b1880 belongs to the family of George b1843, Finchampstead and Mary Unknown (Poss WHITE?) b1856 Winkfield, Berks - or at least she appears to; she is the best Mary on offer on the census entries I have looked at.  The census entry states Mary b abt. 1880 Finchampstead.
Hello again,
In order to know for sure which of the two men, George Dorsett or William Brayne, that Mary White Milham married, you must get the certificate or find a Parish Register marriage. Otherwise you are guessing and whistling in the wind, I am afraid.  George Dorsett could have married Matilda Goodenough.
From the posting by MrsPooh it sounds like Mary might have married George Dorsett, but you need proof. An Edwin Milham was born in 1901 in Windsor reg dist (covers Winkfield) who could be an illeg son of Mary, but again only "could." You need the certificates.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline MrsPooh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 September 08 04:05 BST (UK) »
I have the birth certificate for Edwin Milam born 8 Jan 1901 which does not list a father but Mary Milam as the mother.

When Mary immigrated to Canada, her brother Frank Milam (listed as her destination location) was already living in Ontario.  The research done on Frank in Ontario includes a birth (Feb 2, 1887) in Wokingham, Berkshire, England in his military records.

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Vicwinnan and Mrs Pooh.

I started this query after I noticed George's marriage to Mary when I was in Berks Records Office looking for something else. It was a surprise to me, I had not known he was married, nor that he had died so early in life. He was my grandmother's (Fanny Dorsett) only brother and her son was named after him.

I would be very grateful Vic if you are able to give me any more info on George's death, especially burial place and date. If you are related to the Nashes, I have a photo that is of, I believe, Henry Nash and his wife, George and Fanny's aunt and uncle. You are welcome to a copy of it.

I hope to hear from you. Thanks and best wishes.

Pat W

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 September 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Have just remembered. George's youngest sister, Nellie (b1883, Reading m Tom Morgan) also emigrated to Canada in 1912.  Is there a connection here? Can anyone tell me?

Pat W

Offline maxdog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 September 08 19:36 BST (UK) »
Listed below is the Milam family that I understand Mary came from. I think Mrs Pooh and I are at cross purposes?

HENRY MILAM (HENRY3, WILLIAM2, HENRY1) was born 1849 in FINCHAMPSTEAD BERKSHIRE. He married MARY A. -?-. She was born 1851 in WINKFIELD BERKSHIRE.
Notes for HENRY MILAM:
1881: Agrilcultural Labourer, Red Lake, Wokingham, Berkshire.
1891: General Labourer, No3, Bud-?- Cottage, Wokingham, Berks.
1901: 13 Rose Street, Wokingham, Berks
Children of HENRY MILAM and MARY -?- are:
142 i. ANN5 MILAM, born 1877 in FINCHAMPSTEAD BERKS.
143 ii. HENRY MILAM, born 1878 in FINCHAMPSTEAD BERKS.
144 iii. MARY MILAM, born 1879 in FINCHAMPSTEAD BERKS. She married GEORGE WILLIAM DORSETT 1906 in READING BERKS; born 1873 in READING BERKS; died 1909 in WALLINGFORD BERKS..
145 iv. KATE MILAM, born 1882 in WOKINGHAM BERKS.
146 v. ADA MILAM, born 1883 in WOKINGHAM BERKS.
147 vi. WILLIAM MILAM, born 1885 in WOKINGHAM BERKS.
Notes for WILLIAM MILAM: Joined Royal Artillery 1 Nov 1901 as Boy Solider
148 vii. FRANCIS MILAM, born 1888 in WOKINGHAM BERKS.
149 viii. STEPHEN MILAM, born 1889 in WOKINGHAM BERKS.
150 ix. CAROLINE MILAM, born 1893 in WOKINGHAM BERKS.
151 x. EMILY MILAM, born 1894 in BINFIELD BERKS.
152 xi. JOSEPH MILAM, born 1898 in EASTHAMPSTEAD BERKS.

Pat W