Author Topic: Brick wall -- please some advice  (Read 1769 times)

Offline SAtoUSA

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brick wall -- please some advice
« on: Wednesday 10 October 07 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hello,
 I hope someone can steer me in a new direction as I am scratching my head over my family tree. I have consulted NAAIRS, ordered information from eGSSA (not arrived yet), and searched every surname list I can get ahold. I have also been in touch with the Germans from SA webmaster and feel like I am getting nowhere fast.
 The relatives I am searching for information on:
Friederich Ferdinand Gotlieb JOCKS (I've seen surname spelled JOCH, JOCHS, or JACKS)--came to SA from Germany (when and where I don't know). Married to a GUTGAR (also sometimes spelled GUTJAR, GUTJAHR) and had several children.
Friederich had one son (my direct ancestor) Wilhelm Schalk Jacobus JOCKS. He married a Magdalena Isabella RADEMEYER approx. late 1890's. I have lots of informaton for Wilhelma but little for his wife. Both of them were supposedly born in South Africa.
I do know that Wilhelm left SA to prospect in Central Africa where he died in 1935 in Tanganyika. (He and his brothers found a small claim in Northern Rhodesia around 1907). I do know his wife also died in Belgian Congo in 1919.

Can anyone help?
And also can anyone tell me how I go about finding records for places like the Belgian Congo, Northern Rhodesia and Tanganyika? (I know today they are the modern countries of Democratic Republic of Congo, Zambia and Tanzania.)

Thanks very much in advance for any ideas..

Stephanie

JOCKS (Pomerania, Germany, England, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Belgian Congo, Tanganyika); HERBERT (Suffolk County, England, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia); BOSHOFF (South Africa) RADEMEYER (South Africa, Southern Rhodesia) (and that's just hubby's ancestors!! :-)
WILSON (Yorkshire Co., England, Nebraska, Kansas USA) THOMPSON (Yorkshire County, England, Nebraska USA) MCCONAGHY (Ireland, New York, Kansas USA)

Offline EmPea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Brick wall -- please some advice
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 07 16:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have info - which files have you ordered from eGSSA?
South Africa - Wessels/Vorster
South Africa - Behr/Toerien
South Africa - Pnematicatos/Chimato
Cornwall, England & South Africa - Hicks/Breach
Yorkshire & Durham, England & South Africa - Kenney/Hucks

Offline SAtoUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 07 17:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response.

I ordered estate files for:

JACKS, Carolina Fredericka Veronica
JOCKS, Maria Carolina
JOCKS, Hendrik August Frederick Wilhelm

The JACKS and JOCKS women were both married to the same man: Friederich JOCKS. So I am assuming that one is the 1st wife and the other is the 2nd wife AND both of them had a maiden name of Gutgar or Gutjahr as it is sometimes spelled, so also likely sisters.

My info states Maria Carolina is the mother of the Wilhelm I mentioned in my original post, but now with the finding of JACKS (which I think is merely a misspelling likely as I've seen in other searches for records in NAAIRS), I don't think she was the mother, but rather the first wife as Wilhelm was born in 1863.

I also ordered Hendrik JOCKS' estate file to try to link him up since his first 4 names are all names which have continued in our family so he has to be a relative as well.

Regards
Stephanie

JOCKS (Pomerania, Germany, England, South Africa, Southern Rhodesia, Northern Rhodesia, Belgian Congo, Tanganyika); HERBERT (Suffolk County, England, South Africa and Southern Rhodesia); BOSHOFF (South Africa) RADEMEYER (South Africa, Southern Rhodesia) (and that's just hubby's ancestors!! :-)
WILSON (Yorkshire Co., England, Nebraska, Kansas USA) THOMPSON (Yorkshire County, England, Nebraska USA) MCCONAGHY (Ireland, New York, Kansas USA)

Offline SAtoUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 02:51 BST (UK) »
Just an update. I received my documents already (just 5 days) and it solved a couple of mysteries for me. The Carolina Jacks and Maria Jocks are the same woman. The notice for Jacks is the estate file. The one for Jocks is a request for another permission to remarry. The Hendrik Jocks is one of her 4 sons, who died young.

Still searching....

Offline bhunter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOCKS Brick wall -- please some advice
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 March 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Heinrich August Friedrich Wilhelm Jocks died in Bronkhortspruit 1898 - death notice may be found here - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS92-1LBZ?mode=g&i=671&cc=2520237&cat=188051.

His daughter Aletta Sophia Jocks married Frederick Josephus de Jager, I assume in Namibia as their son Lourens/Lawrence de Jager was born there 15 Aug 1914.  Aletta Sophia seems to have died in 1918 in the flu epidemic.  Perhaps the Jocks family moved to Namibia.

Frederick Josephus de Jaeger's death notice etc may be found here https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L989-ZFZC?mode=g&i=34&cc=1407787.  The will gives the first wife's name.  His second marriage was in Mariental, SWA.

Ireland - Connor; Foley.
England - Connor; Hale; Cox; Tucker; Foley; Allison. Scotland -  More; Clark; Niven; Milne; Brown; Barclay; McIntosh.
South Africa - Cox