Author Topic: Link: Burials, Wills & Marriages indexes  (Read 13350 times)

Offline Elizabeth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Link: Burials, Wills & Marriages indexes
« on: Monday 22 March 04 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Visit Brian Lawson's site @:

http://www.iomfhs.im/lawsons/LawsonBMD/Main_Site_index.html  New Link 2013

Not only is there information on Brian's Manx Lawsons there, but also it is fast becoming a wonderful repository for several extensive indexes for Manx resources.

All the parishes in the IOM are covered in the Burial index, and the Will index is very extensive and many of the wills are being transcribed and placed online.

Enjoy

Elizabeth
QUALTROUGH Isle of Man & world wide

Qualtroughs have been found in Liverpool, Manchester and other places in Lancs. However I am interested in contact with all Qualtroughs and descendants everywhere.

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Burials, Wills & Marriages indexes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth
Just a thankyou - first night on Rootschat and just browsing - found g. grandmother's address (illegible on census) and also found grandfather/grandmother's marriage, AND grandfather's sisters marriage, too.
WOW, what a stroke of luck.

Thanks again
Regards
Hazelnuts01
wilson (renfrewshire,paisley)

Offline Sherlockslovechild

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 20:30 BST (UK) »
from personal experience there is an excellent source of information in Deemsters walk in douglas upsatairs in the Registry and court building- you can accessa monitor and type in what type of document -whether it be a will/probate record or conveyance deed poll or whatever and it will print out all the entries of a certain surname-one example was listing 1940 to the present day for probate.There are also large ledgers there to view for free of all coveyance entries.You fill in a slip and within minutes I had the original stamped conveyance or probate record in front of me.

Offline hazelnuts01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 August 06 08:43 BST (UK) »
many thanks for all this info  - will keep it handy - it will come in very useful.

regards
hazelnuts01
wilson (renfrewshire,paisley)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Burials, Wills & Marriages indexes - IMPORTANT UPDATE
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 March 09 06:38 BST (UK) »
Please NOTE!

The Brian Lawson site quoted in the OP
www lawsons ca
is no longer functioning.

However, his site has a re-direction to another site where his wonderful (albeit incomplete) free indexes - and other material - are still accessible.

Go to the Isle of Man Family History Society at:

http://www.iomfhs.im

and CLICK ON RESEARCH (this is very important!).

This will lead you to the wonderful FREE (partial) indexes compiled by Brian Lawson.

JAP
PS: I would have sent a PM to the OPoster suggesting that she update the OPost but she not been online since 2005.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 March 09 09:27 BST (UK) »
JAP

Thank you for finding the alternative link.

A general point, the best way to report a broken link is to use the Report to Moderator button which appears at the bottom right of every post. Note that you need to report the OPs post, as the system won't allow you to report your own.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 09 06:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Arranroots,

Thank you for your "thank you".

Though I'm a tad puzzled why you think that using the 'Report to Moderator' button to report a "broken link" would have been "best".

In this particular instance it is not a broken link - it is just that the link no longer functions as a direct link to the Burials, Wills, and Marriages Indexes.

The link in the OP most definitely still works.
However, it now gives a re-direction to another (non-clickable) URL and instructions for finding the material on the re-directed (non-clickable) site.

What I did was to draw attention to this, to provide a clickable link to the re-directed site, and to draw particular attention to the need to go to 'Research' on the re-directed site (in the light of my own silly experience  :-[ ).

And I explained what had happened to Brian Lawson's indexes - which might be useful for any RootsChatters who had bookmarked the original link.

I trust that my post will be useful - especially if, by any chance, the original link (though still functional at present) should no longer work in future.

I hope that this explains why I posted as I did.

Kindest regards,

JAP