Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 4: #6 Graham Norton  (Read 21997 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 4: #6 Graham Norton
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:11 BST (UK) »
What a good programme! And they got sooo far back!

I loved it when he found his grandmother was illegitimate and said that at last there was another black sheep in the family!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any family connection to Ireland but I really enjoyed that one. I think Graham now has a deeper meaning of his Irish connection

Sheffield archives looks like a brilliant place!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
I quite enjoyed the programme too, and was starting to think Graham Northon wasn't as bad as I thought, but then I briefly switched over to is chat show, and he spent the first 10 minutes going on about how boring the show was and how he wasn't the least bit interested in his family history. He said "if you've just turned over from WDYTYA, then wakey wakey! It was my family and I was bored." and "maybe it's something my mother would be interested in"

I would give anything to have a researcher do all that work for me for free and have all those great resources on my family. I can't help but feel it was wasted on him  :-\

Offline ludovica

• RootsChat Senior
  • Genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
I must admit I was favourably impressed by Graham.. who I normally find very unwatchable on his chat shows etc.
 LOL ^^ Sorry to hear he reverted to his usual self rather quickly!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
I quite enjoyed the programme too, and was starting to think Graham Northon wasn't as bad as I thought, but then I briefly switched over to is chat show, and he spent the first 10 minutes going on about how boring the show was and how he wasn't the least bit interested in his family history. He said "if you've just turned over from WDYTYA, then wakey wakey!" and "maybe it's something my mother would be interested in"

I would give anything to have a researcher do all that work for me for free and have all those great resources on my family. I can't help but feel it was wasted on him  :-\

I too was surprised and disappointed by Graham's sarcastic intro to his show over on BBC2, when the credits had barely finished rolling on BBC1.  But I think he was just playing for laughs - it did seem to me that on the WDYTYA programme he was generally interested.  I also noticed that he said he'd "spent the summer" researching the programme, which can't be true because it was quite clear from the filming (golden leaves, chill breezes) that it took place well into autumn, presumably last year.

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:22 BST (UK) »
I too really enjoyed WDYTYA - except the annoying scenes which showed his tree with year of births before they "found them in the records"!

Very disappointed to hear about his show on BBC2 afterwards though! >:(

Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:23 BST (UK) »
  I also noticed that he said he'd "spent the summer" researching the programme, which can't be true because it was quite clear from the filming (golden leaves, chill breezes) that it took place well into autumn, presumably last year.

Anna

Yes I guess that it was filmed about a year ago as one of the others was filmed in Sept 2006.
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:26 BST (UK) »
I fell asleep half way thrugh ... not because I was bored, just tired, so thank goodness I video-ed it !   Will watch it tomorrow ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 October 07 22:47 BST (UK) »
I was a bit worried about the number of steps backwards that they made with the Walker family without any real evidence.  The skipping of a generation and the leap back to England seemed to lack any proof.  There should have been a few wills which could have consolidated the story.

I wish just occasionally they would tell us what they looked for and failed to find.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk