Author Topic: Manders Menagerie  (Read 27001 times)

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Manders Menagerie
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 August 10 19:13 BST (UK) »
So was there a Manders troupe performing in late 1840s or early 1850s?

My ancestors married in 1848, so ideally I am curious if there was a Manders troupe in 1848 London.

Simon
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline marcmanders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 August 10 04:20 BST (UK) »
The first Manders show was started by William James Manders 1821-1871, He was a Lecture at Willaim Hiltons Menageries show, around 1852 he bought the show of William Hilton, with the help of a great friend George Hulse whom was a Turtle seller & importer from Liverpool.
The first show was renamed from Hiltons to Grand National Star Menageries 1852... also just to confuse... other members of the family had other shows, but all came together at goose fair Hull, but ofden travel 3 x different names... ie Grand National star menageries, Manders Royal Menageries and Manders Royal Moving Waxworks.. also later Manders Americain Biograph by James manders 1905.
mander manders fossett perry baily gallaher holden johnson law jones Johnson Robinson trett

Offline simonwpb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 August 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Have you ever come across in your tree a Manders who also worked as a stage actor circa 1850?

At the London Queen's Theatre in 1850 and 1851 there was "that established favourite, Mr. Manders" as noted in the Reynolds Weekly News paper.

According to the two articles found he performed alongside Mr. E. Green, who may be my same ancestor who was also an equestrian acrobat.

(Thanks to Eileen for pointing these articles out to me)
Scotland; Dumfries (Beattie), Ayrshire (Anderson) Galashiels (Aitken/Mack) Berwick (John Ford, William Ford)<br />Manchester (Walter Lake 1865-1903, Green) Great Budworth (William Smith, formerly Rayner) <br />Worcs. (Stourbridge- Samuel Hill) (Dudley- Anderson)

Offline Danncer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 August 10 01:02 BST (UK) »
George Hulse, Turtle Merchant was my G G Grandfather.  The Tomb of William Manders is at the foot of George Hulse's Grave with the message 'Generous and True Hearted Friend' on the end of the tomb pointing towards the grave of George Hulse.  It is rumoured that William Manders tomb is empty and he is buried with George Hulse.  They are buried in the graveyard of St Hilary's Church, Wallasey.

Offline RickyManders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 October 10 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am curious as to whether my Manders line ties into any of the Manders Menagerie tree. My Great Grandfather Frederick W Manders (Born 1890 Kensington, London) married a Robinson in 1911. Their son Frederick C Manders is my Grandfather (b. 1925 Kensington) - he Married a Morris (she uses the name Ethel, but I am sure that is not her given first name). All of their children were born in Kensington.

I am not in contact with my grandfathers side of the family, so have been unable to find any more info. I believe he served in the Far East during World War II.

Would be very grateful for any info anyone has, as I cannot find anything pre my GG GF.

Cheers Ricky Manders (Ricardo John Manders)

Offline RickyManders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 October 10 11:20 BST (UK) »
Update

I have now traced my ancestors back to a John Manders, born abt 1824 in Abingdon, Berkshire to Joseph Manders (b Abingdon Berkshire). I don't know if this helps, but am still looking for further information if anyone has any.

Offline nannyscott

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 13:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information or ever even heard of a Manders Menagerie, a traveling circus in the 1850s-1860s ?

I suspect my G-G-GF  worked for Manders and I want to find out anything about the show I can. Ned Green was an acrobat and "equestrian artist." Later in life he was Professor Green a Punch and Judy man.

Update

I have now traced my ancestors back to a John Manders, born abt 1824 in Abingdon, Berkshire to Joseph Manders (b Abingdon Berkshire). I don't know if this helps, but am still looking for further information if anyone has any.

My grandmother's aunt was Annie (Weston) Manders (my great grandmother's sister), married to Albert Manders.  I have some information on this line of the family if anyone is interested.  Family lore always was that Annie was the spider lady in the menagerie, but I have not found any documentation of this.  If anyone has any futher information I would be interested.  Pictures would be great!  Thanks for sharing.
1959-2014

Offline nannyscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 13:41 BST (UK) »
that was my great great grandfathers menagerie then it was manders fair if you branch out to the right family.

Which one of your g g grandfathers on on your tree/? William, James, John? i have the full family tree on all the lines. my tree is william mander then James manders 1800 then John manders 1839 then John manders 1870 then william walter manders 1907 then my mother Jean manders 1936 then myself Marc Manders.
at present i have around 250 manders in the tree, plus another 150 relations with other names but all connented up till 2010.
let me know if you want more info.
also the earlest mander in my tree is William mander whom married Rachel Perry based in
Rickmansworth hertfordshire 1795
1959-2014

Offline nannyscott

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 13:45 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's sister was Annie (Weston) Manders (my great grandmother's sister), married to Albert Manders.  I have a bit of information for this side of the family if anyone is interested.  Family lore talks of Annie being the spider lady of the menagerie, but I have not been able to document this.  If anyone has any information regarding Albert Mander's line I would be very interested.  Pictures would be great too!  Thanks for all your posts.  I have purchased the book on Mander's Menagerie and it has been a great resource, I recommend it to anyone interested in Menageries or the Manders line.
1959-2014